SEC-ACC match-ups today

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

roanoke
Admiral

SEC-ACC match-ups today

Post by roanoke »

It will be interesting to watch the SEC-ACC games today.

During the season, the narrative has been that the ACC was super-down. Mainly because it is. Perennial powers like Clemson, Florida State, Miami and Virginia Tech all had crummy seasons - at least by their standards. Witness the likely championship game: Pitt versus Wake. Seriously - selling ads for that game will be interesting? Although I would put Wake on a bit of an upset alert today.

Meanwhile, the SEC has been - by far - the toughest conference... and the west has been almost unbelievably deep. Nonetheless, playing tough teams week in and week out almost always depletes SEC teams - and by year end several very good teams are limping down the homestretch. Plus all these inter-conference battles involve the east.

As we roll into the final week-end, Louisville is favored by 3 over Kentucky. Clemson is favored to wallop SC - and rightfully so. And Georgia is likely to go easy on Tech and win by 30 anyway. The most interesting game of the group will be reeling Florida against recovering Florida State. Both 5-6, both need a win for a bowl, both have gone through incredible low points this year (and Florida is still in the middle of their's.). Florida is favored slightly here. A month ago, they probably win this game by 20. Today, it is really hard to say who shows up?

I am expecting the SEC to rise to the top - but rivalry games can be tough to pick. I expect Clemson to be the lone winner from the ACC in these games. But Florida is free-falling (wrong Tom Petty song) and Kentucky's coach is being discussed for other jobs... I suppose anything is possible. Living in ACC country as I do - hoping for the SEC to dominate.

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: SEC-ACC match-ups today

Post by BrentVU »

I believe the SEC is 4-2 vs. the ACC going into Saturday's games. One of those losses was by Tennessee to Pittsburgh in the second week... little did we know back then that Pitt was going to go on to win its division in the ACC.

And hey, I'd definitely watch Pitt vs. Wake Forest! I've found both teams to be very entertaining. But I may be the only one. The ACC is absolutely hosed this year for the playoffs; their highest-ranked team is Pitt at No. 20.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Georgia is going to go easy on Tech?! Ha! I'm expecting a 60-point margin.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

BrentVU wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:16 am Georgia is going to go easy on Tech?! Ha! I'm expecting a 60-point margin.
45-0. I guess compared to the GA-VU score, the Dawgs did take it easy on the Ramblin' Wreck. AD*
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Doreknox wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:38 pm
BrentVU wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:16 am Georgia is going to go easy on Tech?! Ha! I'm expecting a 60-point margin.
45-0. I guess compared to the GA-VU score, the Dawgs did take it easy on the Ramblin' Wreck. AD*
You said 30 points, I said 60, and it was 45... so I guess we'll split the difference. :)

Maybe Georgia did go easy on them... I only saw a little of the first half, but it did look like Georgia was having a little more trouble than usual scoring on them. But I was pretty sure going into the game that Tech wouldn't be able to score on UGA.
Locked Previous topicNext topic