Changing the culture...in the stadium

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Changing the culture...in the stadium

Post by FayetteDore »

Last night's game was the last home game of the season. I missed only the Georgia (didn't want to go) and Mizzou (out of town; couldn't go) home games this fall.

As in years past, I watched visiting fans with their schools' chants and cheers all season supporting their team -- including Kentucky last night with their stupid CATS CATS CATS cheer -- while we don't seem to do anything. Heck, only about 10 percent of fans stood when the students heading into the military after their upcoming graduations were honored on the field, and the applause was tepid.

We don't even do Black/Gold anymore. We don't do Conquer and Prevail! anymore.

I know Black/Gold was loud during the CJF years, and I know we haven't had much to cheer about for a while. But it seems like we could do more than we do. Maybe include Vandy chants/cheers in the weekly Gameday emails they send out? Maybe deploy the Dance Team to the home side and south end zone to hold up signs saying what and when to chant, while the cheerleaders are over by the students. Maybe put them on the video board, like they do at other schools. (They used to put "Get Loud" on the video board at appropriate times for getting loud.)

What about putting the words to Dynamite on the board and have the band play it after a score.

Just seems to me that everything we can do to encourage the team would be helpful.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: Changing the culture...in the stadium

Post by FayetteDore »

PS -- as I was in the concession line before the game started, a group of 7 or 8 blue-clad teens walked up and down the home side concourse shouting "Two & Seven" non-stop.

Cheeky and crass ... but I couldn't help admiring their youthful chutzpah.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

FayetteDore wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:19 am PS -- as I was in the concession line before the game started, a group of 7 or 8 blue-clad teens walked up and down the home side concourse shouting "Two & Seven" non-stop.

Cheeky and crass ... but I couldn't help admiring their youthful chutzpah.
I'm not even gonna respond with an "ouch". 2-7 sounds pretty decent compared with 2-10. You should have told them to come back in a few weeks when they had more ammo.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Is the obnoxious announcer and piped in music any less strident and loud?
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:16 pm Is the obnoxious announcer and piped in music any less strident and loud?
Yes, it seems after some of the complaints early in the season, they toned that down.

That said, though, I do believe there is a place for some of it -- as long as it gets the students and younger folks in the stadium pumped up. Frankly, I'd rather hear that than Alabama's Dixieland Delight and the obscenities the Bryant-Denny crowd supplements it with.

I do think we ought to re-establish the tradition of the students and crowd singing Dynamite loudly after a score, with the appropriate edits that CJF insisted on when he was coach and Dr. Sagen, longtime band director, readily agreed to: "...To WIN, NOT LOSE, it's OURS to choose!"
VUinFL
Commander

Post by VUinFL »

I just hope that Texas and Oklahoma are aware of the SEC standard...get hyped!

commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

FayetteDore wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:42 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:16 pm Is the obnoxious announcer and piped in music any less strident and loud?
Yes, it seems after some of the complaints early in the season, they toned that down.

That said, though, I do believe there is a place for some of it -- as long as it gets the students and younger folks in the stadium pumped up. Frankly, I'd rather hear that than Alabama's Dixieland Delight and the obscenities the Bryant-Denny crowd supplements it with.

I do think we ought to re-establish the tradition of the students and crowd singing Dynamite loudly after a score, with the appropriate edits that CJF insisted on when he was coach and Dr. Sagen, longtime band director, readily agreed to: "...To WIN, NOT LOSE, it's OURS to choose!"
OMG! THAT was toned down? You could clearly hear him over the televison. Over the announcers. If that is toned down, I'd have hated to hear him the first couple of games.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

The band is very sad, but, let me be clear, I am not blaming anyone connected with the band. I appreciate their efforts very much. Maybe VU's environment is not conducive to a marching band. It is my understanding that members are given a very small stipend, but not enough to encourage participation. Blair school is very small and not all students into horns , winds or percussion. General student body focused on core academics and not willing to dedicate the large amount of time required by band. Don't know if many of the other local schools are still part of the band as in the past. If VU can't get the numbers way up, it may be time to throw in the towel. State schools give large number of band scholarships , maybe VU could come up with significant , though certainly not full, scholarships to increase numbers. Hope VU can find an answer, but current is not working.
VUinFL
Commander

Post by VUinFL »

OldDude wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:15 am The band is very sad, but, let me be clear, I am not blaming anyone connected with the band. I appreciate their efforts very much. Maybe VU's environment is not conducive to a marching band. It is my understanding that members are given a very small stipend, but not enough to encourage participation. Blair school is very small and not all students into horns , winds or percussion. General student body focused on core academics and not willing to dedicate the large amount of time required by band. Don't know if many of the other local schools are still part of the band as in the past. If VU can't get the numbers way up, it may be time to throw in the towel. State schools give large number of band scholarships , maybe VU could come up with significant , though certainly not full, scholarships to increase numbers. Hope VU can find an answer, but current is not working.
I certainly do not want to insult the band, but it seems like it falls into the "if you are going to do it, do it right" category and if it can't be "excellent" then drop it.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

VUinFL wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:35 am
OldDude wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:15 am The band is very sad, but, let me be clear, I am not blaming anyone connected with the band. I appreciate their efforts very much. Maybe VU's environment is not conducive to a marching band. It is my understanding that members are given a very small stipend, but not enough to encourage participation. Blair school is very small and not all students into horns , winds or percussion. General student body focused on core academics and not willing to dedicate the large amount of time required by band. Don't know if many of the other local schools are still part of the band as in the past. If VU can't get the numbers way up, it may be time to throw in the towel. State schools give large number of band scholarships , maybe VU could come up with significant , though certainly not full, scholarships to increase numbers. Hope VU can find an answer, but current is not working.
I certainly do not want to insult the band, but it seems like it falls into the "if you are going to do it, do it right" category and if it can't be "excellent" then drop it.
I definitely didn't take it that you meant to insult the band, just an observation on the situation. I counted as best I could under 100 in the picture; a few years back the numbers were closer to 185 I think and the band musically speaking was pretty good. Current numbers don't allow for a college marching band. I totally agree with you that VU needs to do it right or not do it.
MtJulietVUFan
Ensign

Post by MtJulietVUFan »

Before we start working on a "chant" or song, the first step is people in the stands who understand what it's like to be football fans. I would be happy with thousands of people standing up and yelling on 3rd or 4th down. The saddest part of the Vanderbilt football experience is that I have resigned myself to looking around before I stand up to make sure I'm not in anyone's way behind me, and then I scoot if necessary. The fact that I have to be concerned about standing up without being yelled at is indicative of the bigger issue. We had a real college football environment for a brief few years with CJF. You can argue the whole chicken and the egg thing about winning = fans = excitement, but I'm just talking about basic core football fan issues. I see more crowd energy at a high school game. When you stand up and yell at a college football game and have people around you turning around staring at you like you're a crazed lunatic, there is a real problem.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Great point MtJ. It is really difficult to get into things when we are performing poorly, but even in good times our fans never understood what seems so basic at other schools.
I have kids at two other SEC schools, and in the past decade I have pretty much been around the league. Our gameday atmosphere- inside and outside the stadium- is so far behind anyone else it is laughable (haven't been to Missou). The places that we were close to 20 years ago are now light years ahead. I'm not even sure winning can close the fan gap.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

I wish there was some way to persuade the thousands of young adults who have moved to Nashville to come to games and cheer for their new adopted hometown team and bring new energy to the Dud.

But I fear that more of them like the other football (soccer) better -- or just prefer hanging out in all the hip new areas like 12South, Midtown, Five Points, the Gulch, Capitol View, Melrose, Sylvan Park, Germantown, et al that are always packed on weekends. They've certainly shown little interest in coming to VU football games.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

It's actually the awful product Vand has put out there...THAT is why you don't get new fans. Who is gonna waste their money on a losing team year after year?
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

VUinFL wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:16 am I just hope that Texas and Oklahoma are aware of the SEC standard...get hyped!

Beautiful! That first picture is a keeper as you can't get too much of the V - A - N - O - Y chant.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Commodoredave wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:23 am Great point MtJ. It is really difficult to get into things when we are performing poorly, but even in good times our fans never understood what seems so basic at other schools.
I have kids at two other SEC schools, and in the past decade I have pretty much been around the league. Our gameday atmosphere- inside and outside the stadium- is so far behind anyone else it is laughable (haven't been to Missou). The places that we were close to 20 years ago are now light years ahead. I'm not even sure winning can close the fan gap.
I have seen better atmosphere in a Covid ward.
Albert_Camus
Admiral

Post by Albert_Camus »

The program is clinically dead. I fear that UK game is the last one I ever attend with my dad. Sitting in the “faculty and staff” area of Section R has become an act of masochism. It is intolerable to have that experience in your own stadium….especially when there is nothing on the field to shut all the nimrods up. New facilities aren’t the answer. Dropping the program may make more sense. Why should a university devoted to excellence allow any part of itself to be this inept?
Albert

I used to be disgusted. Now I am just amused.
Elvis Costello
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Albert, I sincerely HOPE it was not the last game you attend with your father.

If it's not, may I suggest that you go over and sit in the vast wide open space of Sections A & B. The players' families are in the lower rows of Section A. Not 50-yard line but still close to the action and a more friendly environment.

I hope your Kentucky game experience was not your Walter Cronkite moment for VU football.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

I will always be a Vandy Fan and have faithfully purchased my Football and Men's basketball tickets every year for the past 40 years (except last season when none were for sale). The atmospheres at Vanderbilt stadium and Memorial Gym have dwindled down to almost nothing. APATHY has permeated both of those sports. That's the worst thing that can happen. Even a $300 million dollar facilities upgrade announcement has to be dumped on a Friday afternoon and partly shrouded in secrecy. Luckily, I'm in my 60's and will always have the memories of a rockin' and rollin' Memorial Gym filled to the rafters with screaming fans willing the Dores to victory over most any opponent. As well, I've been fortunate to witness most of the significant Vandy wins in the Football stadium. The last one being over Kansas State a few years back. The drought has been long and is getting worse. As each year goes by, long time ardent supporters of athletics are falling by the wayside (Baseball is the only exception). I'm not sure if this trend is reversible. But, I'll always be a Vandy fan!
VUinFL
Commander

Post by VUinFL »

DS2001 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:23 pm I will always be a Vandy Fan and have faithfully purchased my Football and Men's basketball tickets every year for the past 40 years (except last season when none were for sale). The atmospheres at Vanderbilt stadium and Memorial Gym have dwindled down to almost nothing. APATHY has permeated both of those sports. That's the worst thing that can happen. Even a $300 million dollar facilities upgrade announcement has to be dumped on a Friday afternoon and partly shrouded in secrecy. Luckily, I'm in my 60's and will always have the memories of a rockin' and rollin' Memorial Gym filled to the rafters with screaming fans willing the Dores to victory over most any opponent. As well, I've been fortunate to witness most of the significant Vandy wins in the Football stadium. The last one being over Kansas State a few years back. The drought has been long and is getting worse. As each year goes by, long time ardent supporters of athletics are falling by the wayside (Baseball is the only exception). I'm not sure if this trend is reversible. But, I'll always be a Vandy fan!
requiring a doctor's note for entry surely isn't helping, but the basketball games have looked / sounded pretty sad on TV thus far...really is unfortunate. I was there in the mid-90s - the football team was horrendous and the basketball was mediocre but at least we showed up
Locked Previous topicNext topic