Not to get ahead of ourselves, but...

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but...

Post by BrentVU »

... Vandy will close the season on Tennessee's Senior Day in Knoxville on Nov. 27. No. 1 Georgia is preparing for a trip to Knoxville this week. This article in the Atlanta paper provides a bit of a scouting report on the Vols...

Tennessee is last in the SEC in time of possession. But if you look at its SEC games only, it is first in the league in the offensive plays of 30 or more yards (20), 40 or more (9), 50 or more (6), 60 or more (5), 70 or more (5) and 80 or more (1).

Yes, the Vols are explosive.

“I think it’s the most in the country,” said Kirby Smart, Georgia’s defensive-minded coach. “When you look at it and talk to people -- because everybody talks across the country and tries to defend it -- it’s so fast you can’t really simulate it in your practices. … It’s so different, it’s hard to prepare for.”...

The challenge with Tennessee’s offense is not just covering several fleet-footed and skilled receivers, such as Velus Jones (36 receptions, 553 yards, 5 TDs), Cedric Tillman (36-525-5) and JaVonta Payton (14-365-6). It’s the ridiculously fast pace at which the Vols run their plays.

Their primary weapon is to get back to the line of scrimmage and run another play without substitution. That means the defense can’t substitute either, unless it thinks can be done before the next snap of the ball, which is typically well within 10 seconds.

Tennessee leads the nation in plays per minute at 2.92. Meanwhile, a winded defense is scrambling to get back into position, recognize what formation the offense is in, make calls accordingly, then react to what transpires.

“As great as Georgia is -- and that’s the best defense in the country -- they haven’t played an offense as fast as ours,” Tennessee’s Payton told reporters in Knoxville Monday. “If we go out there and execute, I think we can turn some eyes.”...

Further complicating the task of defending the Vols is the rapidly-improving play of their quarterback, Hendon Hooker. The senior transfer from Virginia Tech, once in a competition for playing, now has a headlock on the position and seems to be getting better with each passing week. In the 45-42 win over Kentucky, Hooker accounted for 357 yards of total offense as Tennessee averaged 11.52 yards per play.

To add to the difficulty factor, Hendon likes to run with the football. He’s the team’s second-leading rusher with 50.9 yards per game and, excluding sacks, runs for about 5.2 yards a carry on average.

Atlanta Journal-Constitution: No. 1 Georgia’s defense expects ‘huffing-and-puffing’ vs. Vols (by Chip Towers)
https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-bull ... W54QICBJE/

PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Re: Not to get ahead of ourselves, but...

Post by PeteFox »

Expect a lot of "injuries" among the Georgia defenders, especially when UTK is trying to hurry up.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

UT is UT, until they're not. They finally got a coach that understands things.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I can't think of an offense that we would be less well comprised to defend against. We'll see if CCL employs his much vaunted three men rush eight men hands down prevent for the whole game.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

I'd love to be 100% wrong, but I suspect the VU-UT game is going to be a bloodbath.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Johnmn555 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:21 am I can't think of an offense that we would be less well comprised to defend against. We'll see if CCL employs his much vaunted three men rush eight men hands down prevent for the whole game.
If he does, then they will have 60 by halftime.
VUinFL
Commander

Post by VUinFL »

I have a feeling they could hang 120 on us if they felt like it. It has the makings of an unfortunate chapter in the rivalry.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

I always hate to see UT win, especially big games, but I also was really hoping that Georgia would lose at least one game in the regular season and throw the whole playoff situation into chaos. Wouldn’t it be crazy if you had undefeated Cincinnati and 10 one-loss teams? How would they decide which four teams go the playoffs?

Plus you’d have the loser of the SECCG (presumably Georgia vs. Alabama) with two losses. Would the committee still rate both of those teams high enough to go to the playoffs? Imagine the uproar from the Big 10 and other conferences if did that!
Locked Previous topicNext topic