Will Drew Birchmeier go back to defense this season? Should he?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Will Drew Birchmeier go back to defense this season? Should he?

Post by BrentVU »

I have anointed myself honorary chairman of the Drew Birchmeier fan club. He's already graduated, but he will be coming back for his SIXTH season this fall, a possibility made possible by the Covid season of last year. All Vandy fans should stand and applaud every time his name is called this season.

Last year at this time there was a lot of attention given to his move from defensive line to offensive line; recall that three experienced offensive linemen had opted out, and another (Devin Cochran) had transferred out. Vandy was dangerously thin on the O-line, but deep on the D-line. Birchmeier answered the call and made the move; when interviewed, he said he was happy to do it, and it might even improve his NFL chances. Last year he was arguably the best offensive lineman on the team.

In the spring he was still there. But now the situation is a lot different. Those three O-linemen have returned, and the offensive line suddenly has a lot of depth. Meanwhile, Birchmeier's old buds on the defensive line, stalwarts like Cameron Tidd and Dayo Odeyingbo, have moved on. From where I sit, it looks like the defense could benefit a lot more from his beef and experience than the offense could.

So, just wondering as I'm waiting for SEC Media Days to get here... will Drew move back? And would that be the best thing for the team?

P.S. Has there ever been another Vandy player who has been on the roster for six seasons? I think there have been some, but without doing some research, I can't think of any. In the past to do it, you'd have to get a medical redshirt and a waiver from the NCAA.

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: Will Drew Birchmeier go back to defense this season? Should he?

Post by BrentVU »

Checking the roster, I see that Tyrell Alexander will also technically be a sixth-year senior this year; however, his first four years were spent at Oklahoma State.
Junnah
Commander

Post by Junnah »

Gerald Collins?
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

George Smith WR under Johnson??
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

Josh Henderson? ;)
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Ding-ding-ding to both junnah and BILTMORE. I searched some old media guides to jog my memory, and they are both right.

Gerald Collins played 1989-1994. In 1992 he played in the opener against Alabama but came down with a staph infection that held him out the rest of the season; the NCAA gave him a medical redshirt waiver.

George Smith was at Vandy 2003-2008. He redshirted in 2003, then had that very strange neurological disorder that almost killed him and kept him out of action in 2004. He gave the program four very good seasons 2005-08, including the Music City Bowl team his senior year.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Well, we thought we were deep on the defensive line. Turns out we just had a lot of bodies there.
alabamacommodore
Ensign

Post by alabamacommodore »

I was doing some Roster perusing on vucommodores.com, and I don't see Birchmeier listed anymore.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

alabamacommodore wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:24 pm I was doing some Roster perusing on vucommodores.com, and I don't see Birchmeier listed anymore.
Dang, I think you're right, and I don't know what to make of that. I would swear he was on there earlier today! Could be something, could be nothing. He has definitely graduated, but definitely took part in spring practice, and did not declare for the NFL. Nothing on his Twitter lately to indicate one way or the other, so I'll wait to hear.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

commadore wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:47 pm Well, we thought we were deep on the defensive line. Turns out we just had a lot of bodies there.
The DL certainly underperformed last year (a trend dating back to the departure of Adam Butler and the rest of the xCJF-era DL).
Dayo was obviously a major talent. Davieon Davis has demonstrated talent and skills, and at times has made some eye-popping plays. Add Reitmaier, Langham, Tidd, Surgers, and Green (I am not mentioning several DL who did not see much game action).
This is more depth, size, and athleticism than any other time in my 35 years following VU football.

I cannot help suspecting that something about the schemes, player development, play calling, and/or the rest of the defense had something to do with this. Looking at the roster, Vanderbilt should have fielded a better than average DL.

Draft reports and film on Dayo kept describing him as "raw" and pointing out technique issues they anticipate will be corrected "once he gets some pro level coaching." Really? The previous staff of defensive geniuses had four years to work with Dayo and he got tons of playing time in the SEC. There is no earthly reason for him to be raw or have glaring technique issues.

I will not be surprised if this group suddenly seems to actually have some talent next season. In fact I will be disappointed if this is not the case.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

alathIN wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:02 am
commadore wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:47 pm Well, we thought we were deep on the defensive line. Turns out we just had a lot of bodies there.
The DL certainly underperformed last year (a trend dating back to the departure of Adam Butler and the rest of the xCJF-era DL).
Dayo was obviously a major talent. Davieon Davis has demonstrated talent and skills, and at times has made some eye-popping plays. Add Reitmaier, Langham, Tidd, Surgers, and Green (I am not mentioning several DL who did not see much game action).
This is more depth, size, and athleticism than any other time in my 35 years following VU football.

I cannot help suspecting that something about the schemes, player development, play calling, and/or the rest of the defense had something to do with this. Looking at the roster, Vanderbilt should have fielded a better than average DL.

Draft reports and film on Dayo kept describing him as "raw" and pointing out technique issues they anticipate will be corrected "once he gets some pro level coaching." Really? The previous staff of defensive geniuses had four years to work with Dayo and he got tons of playing time in the SEC. There is no earthly reason for him to be raw or have glaring technique issues.

I will not be surprised if this group suddenly seems to actually have some talent next season. In fact I will be disappointed if this is not the case.
Agree, totally.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

OK, the roster has been massaged and updated again... this time all the jersey numbers have been removed. (I guess we're going to play without jersey numbers again this fall?!? Now there's a question for Lea at Media Days.)

I'm resigned now to the fact that Drew Birchmeier will not be playing this fall; he is nowhere to be found on the roster. Sorry for bringing him up in the first place.

But the good news is, I can't find anyone besides Birchmeier who was on the spring roster who is now missing. Everyone else is accessible online at least.

Of course, it's early.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

BrentVU wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:21 pm OK, the roster has been massaged and updated again... this time all the jersey numbers have been removed. (I guess we're going to play without jersey numbers again this fall?!? Now there's a question for Lea at Media Days.)

I'm resigned now to the fact that Drew Birchmeier will not be playing this fall; he is nowhere to be found on the roster. Sorry for bringing him up in the first place.

But the good news is, I can't find anyone besides Birchmeier who was on the spring roster who is now missing. Everyone else is accessible online at least.

Of course, it's early.
No need to apologize for ever bringing up Drew Birchmeier. Drew is my hero for what he did last year.
Locked Previous topicNext topic