Should we start Leiter tomorrow or not

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

fldore
Vice Admiral

Should we start Leiter tomorrow or not

Post by fldore »

I understand both sides of the argument. And considering how inept our offense is, I'm a little more swayed by the idea that I'm not sure we can win without him. Our pitching depth is far more thin than usual and our offense has forced us to exhaust the few dependable pitchers we have.

However I'm still leaning towards not playing him. He threw a ton of pitches on Monday and would be going back out on 2 days fewer rest. We've seen him be very hittable when throwing with a tired arm. Not sure which of their players will be back tomorrow but a good number of them will have already seen him. Plus if he goes tomorrow dont see how he could pitch in the championship series. Maybe game 3 but thats also the only time we might see Rocker.

SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
wbl
Rear Admiral

Re: Should we start Leiter tomorrow or not

Post by wbl »

Four days rest I think not…hope for a miracle and start him in the finals opener. Just my opinion.
MountainDore
Lieutenant

Post by MountainDore »

wbl wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:34 pm Four days rest I think not…hope for a miracle and start him in the finals opener. Just my opinion.
That’s what I’m thinking (and what I’ll tell CTC as soon as he asks me).
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Reilly.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

NO. WAY. IN. HECK.

He threw half a million pitches Monday. He is basically working his first full year, and already had to get shut down for a mental or physical rest once. He is short two full days of rest. Doubtful he would be effective.

Even if we were to start him, and win, we would have zero chance in the finals. We would have to go piecemeal for the first two games and have Rocker limited in a potential final game. No way could our offense carry us an entire series against either MSU or TX. We'd get embarrassed. Then what would be the difference?

Save him for game 1 is a no-brainer. It's Reilly/Maldo/other relievers tomorrow.
Locked Previous topicNext topic