Congrats from Duke Baseball Fan

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

dukebaseball
Seaman

Congrats from Duke Baseball Fan

Post by dukebaseball »

That was an incredible win for you guys last night. With Rocker and Leiter going the next 2 games it will be very difficult for NC State to beat either of those guys. Good luck.

I have to say that as a Duke baseball fan I admire what Corbin has done with your program. He has taken a program with little history of success and turned it into, arguably, the premier program in the country. His success is what we hope is the blueprint for Duke coach, Chris Pollard, to follow. Duke’s success the last several seasons has given us hope to compete at the level you are at now.

Duke has been to 3 CWS in their history. However, none since 1961. In fact, Duke had not even been to the NCAA tournament since 1961 until 2016. Pollard has now gotten Duke to 4 of the last 5 tournaments with 2 regional championships, 2 super regionals appearances, and their first ACC tournament title. Hopefully, the next step will be the CWS in the near future.

With the improvements in recruiting of recent seasons has come a problem new to Duke, but something y’all have been dealing with for awhile. We can’t seem to keep our highest rated recruits because of the MLB draft.

My question is how many of this year’s incoming freshmen do you expect to actually play at Vanderbilt? You guys caught lightning in a bottle when both Rocker and Leiter decided to go to college. I have even heard there is a possibility Leiter may not sign this year. I think you guys have commitments from 7 of the top 100 high school players. Do you expect any of those to actually play at Vanderbilt?

I feel that Duke and Vanderbilt are similar in that both are small private schools competing against the big state schools. Your success in baseball has given me hope that the Duke program can also achieve that type of success. I have read from other SEC fans that y’all have some kind of recruiting advantage but I have no idea what is that advantage. Can someone explain what it might be that they are referring to regarding recruiting?

Anyway, currently there are not a whole lot of Duke baseball fans around to discuss things. Most are basketball fans. I am glad to find a forum to read and discuss college baseball and look forward to participating in the discussions here.

baseball1234
Commander

Re: Congrats from Duke Baseball Fan

Post by baseball1234 »

Welcome..
I always wonder why Vanderbilt cannot be like Duke in basketball......but, there is only one Coach K and only one Tim Corbin.
Regarding scholarships, Vandy has a program called Opportunity Vanderbilt (or something along those lines). It is believed that many baseball players are on scholarship through that program. There are some good articles about the issue that work prevents me from having the time to point you towards right now.
Vandy has had many top players stick to their baseball commitments and turn down the draft. Even some talk right now that Lawler (the Texas high school ss) will not sign. My guess is that he is using it for bargaining but because others have turned down big money in the past, it makes his bargaining chip that much more valuable. We are able to get kids to turn down the money because of the track record of turning out first rounders etc. Like anything, success breeds success.
94Dore
Seaman

Post by 94Dore »

https://www.anchorofgold.com/2019/5/30/ ... -explainer

Tales of the scholarship advantage are greatly exaggerated; all schools find ways to work with financial aid. I would be surprised if Duke doesn't have a similar program, given the school's endowment.
dukebaseball
Seaman

Post by dukebaseball »

I believe I read recently that the NCAA changed the rules recently and academic and need based scholarships will no longer count against the 11.7 currently allowed. Supposedly, this is to the advantage of private schools like Duke, Vanderbilt, Rice, etc.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Welcome Dukebaseball,
Having spent 19 years on the faculty of Duke School of Medicine, I have followed both athletic programs. Until this year the major difference between the universities approach to athletics was top University Administration. Duke has had what I call an enlightened administration that learned quickly the advantage winning athletics had for the entire university. Thus coach K could recruit and get admitted students Vanderbilt administration, because of their indifference to athletics, would never allow Vanderbilt coaches to recruit.
So the advantage over the 40 years has been support for athletics at the highest administration levels including admissions. Vanderbilt now has a Chancellor from outside who understands this so expect improvement at Vanderbilt.
Aside from this major difference, the two are quite similar except for conference membership.
As for baseball, Corbin can be compared to Coach K. They are both superior coaches on and off the field. Duke baseball will continue to be improved and with the same scholarship maneuvers that Vanderbilt has so I would not be worried about your future.
One of the greatest mistakes Vanderbilt made was not hiring Coach K when he applied for our job before he went to Duke, but we don't have space for that.
Pollard is good probably not a Corbin or Coach K, but I think very good and still young.
As for getting players to sign vs go to the pros, Corbin sells VU and the opportunity to still play ball and sign pro after 3 years. He is good at convincing mom and dad as well as son. Not everyone buys but we do better than most in getting them to play at VU.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Thank you for the congrats, Dukie.

A significant majority of our top signees opt to come here rather than go pro, even some who would go first round out of HS (I believe Rocker is one of those). They know that Vandy is one of the few places that can significantly improve them over a couple years, and many of them are better off because they can go a few rounds higher in the draft to get a little (or a lot) more money, and probably ascend faster through the minor leagues than if they had gone out of HS and needed more development. Vandy is one of the few places a prized recruit can go for 2-3 seasons, and basically arrive in the major leagues at a comparable time as they would if they went into the draft out of HS. The quality of our coaches and ability to develop talent instead of just using it, is the difference.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Welcome, dukebaseball.
Locked Previous topicNext topic