The Reason Athletes want to be paid....

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

thefan
Captain

The Reason Athletes want to be paid....

Post by thefan »

more than a scholarship is because for the most part at most universities, with exceptions, the student athlete is a fiction. Most are there to play sports and they either don't want to get an education or just don't have the time or aptitude. Colleges and universities need to get away from the entertainment business, the ideologue activities, and do what they are there for; to educate students. In my opinion, several of the athletic conferences are just glorified minor league training environments. Fine if a young adult doesn't want to attend college but wants to play sports; let the NHL, the NBA, and the NFL worry about such!

vandy05
Vice Admiral

Re: The Reason Athletes want to be paid....

Post by vandy05 »

thefan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:29 pm more than a scholarship is because for the most part at most universities, with exceptions, the student athlete is a fiction. Most are there to play sports and they either don't want to get an education or just don't have the time or aptitude. Colleges and universities need to get away from the entertainment business, the ideologue activities, and do what they are there for; to educate students. In my opinion, several of the athletic conferences are just glorified minor league training environments. Fine if a young adult doesn't want to attend college but wants to play sports; let the NHL, the NBA, and the NFL worry about such!
Simply not true. There are 85 scholarship players on every team. Something like 75% of football players graduate. Much higher percentage than the regular student body. Its a gross generalization to say that most are there to play sports ONLY. Of course they're there to play sports, but most of them graduate. Now, 75% (or whatever the number is) isn't nearly good enough.

I do think its a sham for some universities though and they're not interested in making sue their players actually graduate.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

We like to try convincing ourselves otherwise, but the number of our players who give up a Vanderbilt education to transfer to completely undistinguished schools probably reflects players' priorities in general. It will be noted that most players don't transfer, but for every one who does, there are probably a few others who stay, simply because it makes football sense for them, whose priorities are not a lot different from the ones who go.

Yes, there will always be the beacons who are genuinely academically inclined, but it is natural for us to overestimate their numbers and view the program as we would like it to be, as opposed to the way it inevitably is.

All that said in a moment of candor, I'll still be watching.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Johnmn555 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:18 pm We like to try convincing ourselves otherwise, but the number of our players who give up a Vanderbilt education to transfer to completely undistinguished schools probably reflects players' priorities in general. It will be noted that most players don't transfer, but for every one who does, there are probably a few others who stay, simply because it makes football sense for them, whose priorities are not a lot different from the ones who go.

Yes, there will always be the beacons who are genuinely academically inclined, but it is natural for us to overestimate their numbers and view the program as we would like it to be, as opposed to the way it inevitably is.

All that said in a moment of candor, I'll still be watching.
If being academically inclined then most Vanderbilt undergrads wouldn't meet the bar.

Vanderbilt may be a better ranked university academically than Auburn or other schools, but Auburn is a perfectly fine institution for anyone to attend. Its absurd to say that because a player chooses to play at Auburn that they have no inclination to academics. Players are always trying to balance both sports and academics because they are student-athletes. If a kid transfers to Vanderbilt from the Ivy League to play football at a more high profile school is he automatically disinclined to academics. Do we excoriate one person's choice of employer over another employer? There are a whole bevy of reasons that people choose where to ply their craft.

I'm thankful for my Vanderbilt degree, but in no way shape or form am I under the allusion that its the only place that anyone should aspire to be.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I hope you aren't under any allusions.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

I agree it is possible to get a great education at Auburn. But if you're a football player, you are working on football up to 50 hours a week and your coaches and advisors certainly will not be encouraging you to major in biomedical engineering. You will be heavily pressured to major in Won't Distract from Football.

Yes when I was a Vanderbilt undergrad I knew guys on the team who majored in engineering and economics and computer science. But Vanderbilt is in no way typical of big time college football.
Not because Auburn is a bad school for actual students. It's because most Vanderbilt players are actual students and most Auburn players aren't. For most players at most big time football schools, academics are just a charade they have to perform to play football.
I don't object to your vision of college athletics. It would be great if your vision was a reality. Unfortunately it's not. It was already a myth when I was in school in the 1980s and it has become more and more divorced from reality since then.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Vanderbilt academics are hard.....I think a lot that transfer may not cut it and want an easier academic route.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I appreciate all the sentiments, but I've known lots of players at Vanderbilt, other SEC schools and institutions up and down the spectrum. Its plain wrong to say that most players are not students. Its just plain wrong. And again, the measuring stick is not Rhodes Scholars. But on the whole, are they as similarly as interested in their academics as the regular student body? 100%.

Its no allusion, its personal experience. And our players are no more or no less "academically inclined" than players at Auburn. Again, I'm proud of my degree, but there isn't a lot of daylight between players at Vanderbilt and players at Auburn. I think as Vandy fans we probably have an overly inflated idea of what our players are doing in the classroom and a lack of appreciation for what players on other teams are doing. And that doesn't mean we don't have anything to be proud of, but I also don't think we have to be so sure that what we have going on the academic side is so superior.

And most transfers fall into one of several categories (some of which stems from immaturity): Have never left home and get homesick; Shocked to learn that the coach was wining and dining them during the recruiting period and when they get on campus the coach is going to yell at them a lot when they screw up; They realize they're not actually as good as they thought and that they're never going to play. In my personal relationships with several players who have lost eligibility at Vanderbilt because of academics, more of them ended up graduating from Vanderbilt than not. Three out of the four.

My drum beating is probably getting old to some of you, but I beat the drum so hard because I know the facts so well. Its not a vision, or an allusion, it really is reality.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

alathIN wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:39 pm I agree it is possible to get a great education at Auburn. But if you're a football player, you are working on football up to 50 hours a week and your coaches and advisors certainly will not be encouraging you to major in biomedical engineering. You will be heavily pressured to major in Won't Distract from Football.
But whose to say that these guys *want* to major in engineering or computer science?

https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/most- ... ge-majors/

The number 1 major in America is business. Number 3 involves social science. Communications and education make the top 10.

MANY college students go on to careers that do not directly use their major ... that is very common. MANY high school students don't really know what they want to major in and go to college because they think they should. MOST prospective college students really don't even think about a school like Vandy - either they can't get in or they are looking at one of the many many professions (teaching, social work, nursing, just to name a few) for which their career and pay prospects really aren't greatly enhanced by a higher profile university.

This doesn't mean they don't care about academics ... I see HS kids like this all the time (teacher here). They aren't bad students, but when push coes to shove they care about doing what they're supposed to do to become a successful adult. The UKs, Auburns, LSUs, and Alabamas of the world accomplish that for thousands of students a year.

Now, I'm not stupid. Do those schools heavily pressure their athletes to take the attitude of "I'm a football player first and a student second" and find the easiest academic path for them? Of course. Do they try to influence players' majors? Of course they do. And they shouldn't. It's unfair. But a football player at Auburn that see enough writing to know they're a longshot or worse to make the NFL has the opportunity to get a college degree. Even one in a useful major like education or business or communications or H&OD. And its okay for a player to accept that kind of degree.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

thefan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:29 pm more than a scholarship is because for the most part at most universities, with exceptions, the student athlete is a fiction. Most are there to play sports and they either don't want to get an education or just don't have the time or aptitude. Colleges and universities need to get away from the entertainment business, the ideologue activities, and do what they are there for; to educate students. In my opinion, several of the athletic conferences are just glorified minor league training environments. Fine if a young adult doesn't want to attend college but wants to play sports; let the NHL, the NBA, and the NFL worry about such!
In my view this is idealism pushed to the limit. Yes, war, poverty and hunger should end, as well as other human conditions. However, we deal with reality. Many athletes have been conditioned to play from a young age. Does that mean they don't want to learn? No. Many, maybe most, people want to learn.

So, please do not make such blanket statements about athletics and student athletes. A person (athlete) can receive a good education at many schools. Many are motivated to learn. I find your viewpoint to be cynical. Just my opinion.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

vandy05 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:05 am
Its no allusion, its personal experience.
I mention it not to be snarky or pedantic but because I already corrected one poster and it undercuts posts that incorporate pride in the school's academics:

illusion
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Johnmn555 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:04 pm
I mention it not to be snarky or pedantic but because I already corrected one poster and it undercuts posts that incorporate pride in the school's academics:

illusion
I guess we can be wrong in our usage of the word together???

You used that spelling first in your posting on 6/24 at 5:38pm. I was merely reusing the same word you used. So.......

And for the record, I thought you meant what the actual word means (the actual word allusions) but frankly didn't think it really mattered all that much to the substance of an internet message board exchange.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Fitzgerald: The rich are different from you and me.

Hemingway: Yes, they have more money.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

vandy05 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:20 pm
Johnmn555 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:04 pm

illusion
I guess we can be wrong in our usage of the word together???

You used that spelling first in your posting on 6/24 at 5:38pm. I was merely reusing the same word you used. So.......

And for the record, I thought you meant what the actual word means (the actual word allusions) but frankly didn't think it really mattered all that much to the substance of an internet message board exchange.
I wasn't using the word incorrectly. I said "I hope you are not under any allusions" because one can't be under an "allusion." It's not a matter of misspelling; it's two completely different words. It was merely an attempt to point out the error without rubbing anyone's nose in it.
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

They're not tricks Michael, they're *allusions* Tricks are for wh***s @GAD
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

To have money???
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Yes. They are making $100s of millions for the schools & the NCAA. & they feel like they deserve to get some. & they do. Getting a free education, sure, that's nice & good, but not many of us would take a job where the only pay we get is free lodging & meals
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

vandy05 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:31 am
Simply not true. There are 85 scholarship players on every team. Something like 75% of football players graduate. Much higher percentage than the regular student body. Its a gross generalization to say that most are there to play sports ONLY. Of course they're there to play sports, but most of them graduate. Now, 75% (or whatever the number is) isn't nearly good enough.

I do think its a sham for some universities though and they're not interested in making sue their players actually graduate.
First of all, most (not all) of the degrees are garbage. I have talked to many professors who have been at major sports universities who would basically agree with me. I have a close relative who is a friend of a man who was head of a major, major, sports university and he told my relative how disgusted he was with college sports and the liberties taken.
Locked Previous topicNext topic