If the weekend rotation is going to change...

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

If the weekend rotation is going to change...

Post by Versus75 »

... next weekend is the optimum time to do it.

Should Jake Eder have a good start Sunday, it probably won't happen.

If not, keep in mind that there is only one midweek game this week (Tuesday versus Central Arkansas). Corbs could start Ethan Smith or Jack Leiter in that game and start the other one on Sunday versus TCU. Eder could take the long relief role at which he was so good last year.

TCU is a better team than the opponent the following Sunday (Kentucky at Hawkins Field), but I like the idea of this crucial game being played at a neutral site; not as much pressure as being in front of the home crowd. Also, by making the switch March 8 rather than March 15 the team doesn't go a week with little work for one of our top pitchers.

In addition to settling the Sunday starter, we must have a regular midweek starter, probably Smith or Leiter.

Leiter can be drafted after his sophomore season. He needs to be starting once a week for the rest of the season and into the playoffs.

commadore
Admiral

Re: If the weekend rotation is going to change...

Post by commadore »

Looks like it is going to change anyway, since Hickman went out with an injury.
PinkFloyd
Lieutenant

Post by PinkFloyd »

tues leiter fri rocker. sat. smith. sunday eder
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

That would be okay. And when Hickman returns I would like to see Eder back in the 'pen. Vanderbilt only has 3 lefty pitchers and the other two (Hugh Fisher and Ryan Keenan) have not seen action this year. Injuries?
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

I believe Hugh had Tommy John surgery in the late fall
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

Versus75 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:49 pm That would be okay. And when Hickman returns I would like to see Eder back in the 'pen. Vanderbilt only has 3 lefty pitchers and the other two (Hugh Fisher and Ryan Keenan) have not seen action this year. Injuries?
Eder is the only lefty who will pitch this year. That's why I would like to see him in the pen. I'm on board with Smith and Leiter being the #3/4 starters. Remember last year that Hickman was the 4 guy until middle of the season.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Commodoredave wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:32 am
Versus75 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:49 pm That would be okay. And when Hickman returns I would like to see Eder back in the 'pen. Vanderbilt only has 3 lefty pitchers and the other two (Hugh Fisher and Ryan Keenan) have not seen action this year. Injuries?
Eder is the only lefty who will pitch this year. That's why I would like to see him in the pen. I'm on board with Smith and Leiter being the #3/4 starters. Remember last year that Hickman was the 4 guy until middle of the season.
That change probably should have been made earlier in the season. But it's hard to argue with the eventual outcome.
Locked Previous topicNext topic