Good2BGold or Lundy ...

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

Good2BGold or Lundy ...

Post by Versus75 »

... you two seem to be affiliated with the VU Athletics Department or The Tennessean.

Do you know how to Text to or Tweet Chris Burke or somebody else in the SEC Tournament TV broadcast booth? Somebody needs to set those guys straight.

The guys are actually paying attention to the Arkansas-Ole Miss game right now rather than speculating on the 2021 MLB draft or who faced what pitcher when he was in Little League.

But they don't seem to understand the rules as I've learned them regarding challenges. An Arkansas player was called out and the replays show that the first baseman may not have had his foot on the bag.

"Why don't they challenge that call?" Burkey asked more than once. Ben McDonald chimed in: "The coach has two challenges. It's the eighth inning! Use your challenge!"

I thought that after the seventh inning a review had to be initiated by the umpiring crew. But then I thought Ethan Small was a better pitcher than Drake Fellows. I'm not always right.

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Re: Good2BGold or Lundy ...

Post by Good2BGold »

Versus75 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:29 pm ... you two seem to be affiliated with the VU Athletics Department or The Tennessean.

Do you know how to Text to or Tweet Chris Burke or somebody else in the SEC Tournament TV broadcast booth? Somebody needs to set those guys straight.

The guys are actually paying attention to the Arkansas-Ole Miss game right now rather than speculating on the 2021 MLB draft or who faced what pitcher when he was in Little League.

But they don't seem to understand the rules as I've learned them regarding challenges. An Arkansas player was called out and the replays show that the first baseman may not have had his foot on the bag.

"Why don't they challenge that call?" Burkey asked more than once. Ben McDonald chimed in: "The coach has two challenges. It's the eighth inning! Use your challenge!"

I thought that after the seventh inning a review had to be initiated by the umpiring crew. But then I thought Ethan Small was a better pitcher than Drake Fellows. I'm not always right.
According to a news item from 2018 on SECSports.com, a coach's challenge can happen at any point in the game, but there are certain things the umpire crew chief can challenge beginning in the eighth inning:

New replay rules, challenge system for SEC baseball

FYI, I'm not affiliated with the VU Athletics Department or The Tennessean.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Re: Good2BGold or Lundy ...

Post by Ndorefin »

I would take Small in a heartbeat....we got 3 hits on him and scored on a bloop single. Fortunately, there were 2 outs at the time or our runner on second would not have been running. Fellows did an outstanding job, but I believe Small is the best pitcher I’ve seen this year.

(Note: I’m not Good2BGold or Lundy, so, maybe I shouldn’t have commented).
Versus75
Admiral

I stand corrected ...

Post by Versus75 »

... but if anyone knows how to contact the ESPN/SEC Network I would appreciate the info.

Just in general: the Analysts du jour are probably just doing what they have been told, but what they do most of the time is talk about anything unrelated to the play-by-play. For that matter, what is the point of having a pbp man because he gets caught up in the conversation and forgets to follow the action.

Popup to 3B Austin Martin who was shifted to the shortstop position: "Ethan Paul makes the catch." The camera shows Martin close-up running off the field. No correction.

Paul was called Small on at least one occasion. Or Small was called Paul.

In a game a week or so ago, Isaiah Thomas replaced DeMarco at the plate, but he was three pitches into the at bat before anyone even announced the count or mentioned his name. Then when he caught a fly ball the next half inning: "DeMarco makes the catch."

I wish I could get my audio to sync with the video. I would just listen to Joe.
Locked Previous topicNext topic