I hate the whistler(s)

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Re: The whistling crap has gone past the point of diminishing returns. It's time to end it.

Post by EllistonVU »

Jason94 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:25 pm
EllistonVU wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:27 pm
KAVandy05 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:24 pm Disagree, he's causing chaos and has LSU discombobulated.
BS

We had the bases loaded with two outs and didn't score. He's a negative influence. A curse. A jinx.

All his bull5hit does is annoy fans on both sides.
I wonder if they can come and similarly "curse" our football and basketball programs? Or pretty much our entire athletic department outside of Women's tennis.

We're up 9-1 and are 47-10 on the season. May we all be so cursed.
Our men's and women's basketball teams lost a combined 46 games last season.

They already have enough rebuilding to do without any extra complications.

vandyambush
Vice Admiral

Re: I hate the whistler(s)

Post by vandyambush »

I have not heard him in the last 20 minutes. Not even after Duvall hit that 3 run homer.
Jason94
Admiral

Re: The whistling crap has gone past the point of diminishing returns. It's time to end it.

Post by Jason94 »

EllistonVU wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:40 pm
EllistonVU wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:27 pm

BS

We had the bases loaded with two outs and didn't score. He's a negative influence. A curse. A jinx.

All his bull5hit does is annoy fans on both sides.
I wonder if they can come and similarly "curse" our football and basketball programs? Or pretty much our entire athletic department outside of Women's tennis.

That is the point though isn't it? If the baseball team is cursed, shouldn't we want more of that for all of our sports programs? Again, I'd love it if they had the "complications" that the baseball program seems to deal with.
KAVandy05
Petty Officer

Post by KAVandy05 »

OldDude wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:33 pm we recruit nationally and a national tv audience likely thinks we are jerks. The whistlers are a pain.
The current Juniors and Seniors heard him whistle all through back to back CWS runs to the championship game.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

Jason94 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:45 pm

That is the point though isn't it? If the baseball team is cursed, shouldn't we want more of that for all of our sports programs? Again, I'd love it if they had the "complications" that the baseball program seems to deal with.
No. Not if it means annoying our own fanbase plus the home people who live in Omaha and will be AGAINST us up there. He is not worth it. He is making our sports programs look bad. Our baseball team would be just fine if he knocked it off.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

EllistonVU wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:51 pm
Jason94 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:45 pm

No. Not if it means annoying our own fanbase plus the home people who live in Omaha and will be AGAINST us up there. He is not worth it. He is making our sports programs look bad. Our baseball team would be just fine if he knocked it off.
I get that theses guys are annoying, but it seems a bit weak to be complaining from the air-conditioned confined spaces we are watching or listening to the game from about the manner in which some guys are supporting the team (who have spent their money and time to attend the game, and are watching in the heat). If a Vandy fan is sufficiently angered by the whistling, they could easily try to ask them to tone it down in person. It isn't like it is difficult to determine where they will be and they would probably be a bit more receptive than they would to opposing fans. But it seems pretty clear that there other Vandy fans who attend the games who clap along with the whistling.

But I suppose you've now abandoned your original premise that theses guys are curses and that they are really just annoying. Which I do agree with.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

I've been to the tournament in Hoover a number of times going back to the first time we made it to the final game under Corbin (vs South Carolina) and every time I've been it's been a heat index similar to walking on the face of the sun. Every time. And I'll go tomorrow if the "whistler" makes a public announcement that he will either knock it off or not go. I can take 100+ degree heat index as long as the concession stand doesn't run out of cold drinks, but I will not drive to B'ham for 100+ degrees AND incessant whistling. Not anymore.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

If it's not all about him, why does he have "The Whistler" etched in his driver side door?
Haptown
Lieutenant

Post by Haptown »

DeefromAtlanta wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:34 pm If it's not all about him, why does he have "The Whistler" etched in his driver side door?
Because that is not "him".
MountainDore
Lieutenant

Post by MountainDore »

I was whistler-neutral until today. I was at the game, and now I’m pro-whistler. The guy is our biggest cheerleader. I’m just disappointed that we didn’t have an auxiliary whistler who could have started up when security started hassling the first guy.

He was the only person sitting in the reserved seats in the entire stadium that they hassled, not surprisingly. By the end of the game (sitting with Richard Sterban of The Oak Ridge Boys, I believe) he had a fistful of reserved seat tickets given to him by fans.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

KAVandy05 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:48 pm
OldDude wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:33 pm we recruit nationally and a national tv audience likely thinks we are jerks. The whistlers are a pain.
The current Juniors and Seniors heard him whistle all through back to back CWS runs to the championship game.
And we are to believe that they are some kind of motivation or inspiration to the team? That there is causation, even a little? Poppycock!
vandyeast
Rear Admiral

Post by vandyeast »

I did note that given that a huge number of LSU fans attending the game that he was leading cheers and supporting the team in the mist of an unhappy mob that left early but was loud while there. My other comment is there is a time to tone it down and not take away from the play of the team and that is something you have to understand when to do.
Commodoredave
Rear Admiral

Post by Commodoredave »

The game thread is 2 pages and the whistler thread is 5. As obnoxious and annoying as these low class redneck losers are, my biggest complaint is that they are drawing attention away from a great team . Not just opposing fans, baseball writers and media can't stand them. It is seriously a bad reflection on the entire fanbase.
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

B8DC62A6-3625-4709-8B98-9510803A6713.png
B8DC62A6-3625-4709-8B98-9510803A6713.png (5.06 MiB) Viewed 8460 times
I never would have thought of the two whistlers if people on message boards hadn’t complained about them. Those are the people who are making things about themselves and have the big egos. The whistlers never bothered me, and the team supports them. On Instagram yesterday the official vandyboys account posted #whistlerstrong on a story so get over yourself if you think you are more important than the team.
Last edited by Dickeys Nightmare on Sun May 26, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

LSU has multiple threads devoted to talking about the Whistler and their disdain for him - many of the posts are kind of violent. It's interesting that this is the impact that he has on all of the opposing teams - which is amplified because of the size of the LSU fanbase. I have been to many football road games and had food thrown at me by UT fans, spit on by a Georgia fan and attempted to be punched by an Auburn fan and not even had a violent thought about the incidents.

A man whistles alot in the stands and the opposition wants to injure him to stop the annoying behavior - what is wrong with this picture?
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

As for the "fragile snowflake" comment, I want to go on record as declaring that I can "take" the whistler(s). It's not a question of fragility or toughness. I can also "take" a prostate exam. But I'd rather avoid both, if possible.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

Commodoredave wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:25 am The game thread is 2 pages and the whistler thread is 5. As obnoxious and annoying as these low class redneck losers are, my biggest complaint is that they are drawing attention away from a great team . Not just opposing fans, baseball It is seriously a bad reflection on the entire fanbase. writers and media can't stand them.
Channel 4 Sports last night gave glowing reviews to the win but then spent almost as much time covering the whistling annoyance-disturbance which Joe Dubin took a very negative view of.
Bear8000
Lieutenant

Post by Bear8000 »

If Joe and Channel 4 don't like the whistlers....well then...if the local elite media hate them, I'm an even bigger fan
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

Bear8000 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:07 pm If Joe and Channel 4 don't like the whistlers....well then...if the local elite media hate them, I'm an even bigger fan
When did Joe Dubin become "elite" - ?? The same Joe Dubin that grew up in Donelson and played football at McGavock is suddenly (cough-cough) "elite" because (like the majority of VU fans) he sees this whole whistler thing as a nuisance and an annoyance?

I guess that makes me elite as well. Thanks for the compliment. My 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander should feel honored every time I drive it, being so elite and all.
vandyambush
Vice Admiral

Post by vandyambush »

If you read the SEC Tourney twitter feed, every 5-6 tweets focuses on how “annoying” the whistler is.
Locked Previous topicNext topic