Vanderbilt announces "refreshed visual identity", includes new logos for sports teams

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

mathguy
Rear Admiral

Re: Vanderbilt announces "refreshed visual identity", includes new logos for sports teams

Post by mathguy »

gymbo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:40 pm [F50A82F0-CCB0-4EA6-A12C-1C9888CC26E1.jpeg

Take your pick
Gimme 1999-2003 on both slides. But again, my fave logo is the one with the oak leaf, which isn't listed here, but I don't think it's ever been used for athletics.

3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Re: Vanderbilt announces "refreshed visual identity", includes new logos for sports teams

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

[quote=EagleDore post_id=170432 time=1647974839 user_id=127]
Crescere Aude - Dare to grow.

Double dare to keep our old logo.
goodtimes05
Ensign

Post by goodtimes05 »

‘05 grad

For athletics, I am not a big fan especially the versions where the colors seem to use a gradient. It might grow on me/us.

For academics is where I think this is a big downgrade. The oak leaf was superior and more sophisticated compared to the new. And the new seal just looking at it makes me think I’m joining Scientology or something.

No matter what though, it’s still one of the best universities to attend so to all those enrolled or accepted to enroll, you’re blessed to be at Vanderbilt.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

mathguy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:25 pm
gymbo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:40 pm [F50A82F0-CCB0-4EA6-A12C-1C9888CC26E1.jpeg

Take your pick
Gimme 1999-2003 on both slides. But again, my fave logo is the one with the oak leaf, which isn't listed here, but I don't think it's ever been used for athletics.
No offense to you MathGuy but IMO, the 1999-2003 logo was one of the worst. It has 3 separate elements: the V, the lettering (Commodores) and the stylized Commodore with drawn sword.

A rule of thumb for logos and flags is that they should be simple enough for a kid to draw. It's why vexillologists always rank state flags bearing state seals lower than flags like Tennessee's and Texas' (although they like Maryland's, which is in a class by itself). Yeah, a kid could draw that 1999 version, but not easily nor quickly.

When you think about all the iconic logos adorning college football helmets, how many of them have changed dramatically over the years (as opposed to an occasional tweaking of size, etc): Texas' longhorns, Auburn's interlocking AU, Indiana's IU, Michigan's "winged" helmets, Georgia's flattened G, Oklahoma's OU, Notre Dame's ND, UNC's NC, even Bama's player numbers -- and yes, UT's T.

Everybody has their own preference. I personally like the latest version of the Star V. But the change certainly won't keep me out of Vanderbilt Stadium come September.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

They have gone from a design that is clean, classy and very distinct (the star V) to something incredibly generic and amateurish looking (imho). Totally unnecessary and backwards.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

FayetteDore wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:44 pm
mathguy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:25 pm

Take your pick
No offense to you MathGuy but IMO, the 1999-2003 logo was one of the worst. It has 3 separate elements: the V, the lettering (Commodores) and the stylized Commodore with drawn sword.

A rule of thumb for logos and flags is that they should be simple enough for a kid to draw. It's why vexillologists always rank state flags bearing state seals lower than flags like Tennessee's and Texas' (although they like Maryland's, which is in a class by itself). Yeah, a kid could draw that 1999 version, but not easily nor quickly.

When you think about all the iconic logos adorning college football helmets, how many of them have changed dramatically over the years (as opposed to an occasional tweaking of size, etc): Texas' longhorns, Auburn's interlocking AU, Indiana's IU, Michigan's "winged" helmets, Georgia's flattened G, Oklahoma's OU, Notre Dame's ND, UNC's NC, even Bama's player numbers -- and yes, UT's T.

Everybody has their own preference. I personally like the latest version of the Star V. But the change certainly won't keep me out of Vanderbilt Stadium come September.
TO each their own. I don't care about whether a kid can draw it or what a vexillologist would say ... I care about whether I like the way it looks. I liked the way those looked.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

Trolled for it.

Terrible move to do this during the nit run.

Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

It’s very high schoolish.

In fact I can think of five Middle Tennessee high schools off the top of my head who have better logos than that.
cmontgomery
Seaman

Post by cmontgomery »

doubledore9603 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:40 pm Trolled for it.

Terrible move to do this during the nit run.

I’m going to preface this with we may be the dumbest smart school there is. Whoever thought this was a good idea is clueless. Whoever has allowed this to go 24 hours without walking it back, even more so…

That being said, this by Xavier is incredible. Kudos to them, no way I can be mad at that and we deserve it 100%.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

jpmando wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:20 pm Well the single star is significant for it's history as a component of the original Commodore insignia as part of naval rank. Is there another reason why the Star has been removed?
Are we looking at more cancelling of a small part of US culture?
A lot of the "cancelling" that you're referring to is simply the result of research, and finding out who people really were. (Nathan Bedford Forrest, for instance, is a good example of this. Why anybody thought that guy deserved a statue is beyond me.) Maybe in this case somebody did some research and realized that Cornelius Vanderbilt not only wasn't ever an actual Commodore, he never even served in the military at all. Although he did, of course, nickname himself "The Commodore" because he was a notorious military fanboy.

Personally I've never seen the attraction of a military-based logo at a non-military school. But then, I grew up on military bases, so I exceeded my lifetime's quota of gold stars before I was 12 years old. I like the new V logo and find it an improvement over a series of what I thought were uninspired designs. But of course your mileage (and politics) may vary...
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

On VU Commodores in the original press release it says that the new V will be from time to time be used in the Star logo, just expect it to be much less visible but the Star V is apparently not completely gone - the new V will replace the old.
Locked Previous topicNext topic