Thoughts on Vandy's WIN over UConn

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

TnValleyDore
Rear Admiral

Re: Thoughts on Vandy's WIN over UConn

Post by TnValleyDore »

Some painful memories on this thread. The #6 fake field goal Brent alluded to had to have the least element of surprise of any fake I’ve ever seen. IIRC, our kicker joined the team from the soccer team (back when we played men’s soccer) that week and had never attempted a FG. We also burned a TO before the fake in case anyone on the Auburn side wasn’t aware what was coming. Lew Thomas was playing the game of his life and simply going for it on 4th and short would have been a much smarter play.

commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Don't forget the Earl Bennett slight wiggle in the endzone after scoring against Florida. We had all the momentum, but the bogus call backed us up 15 so we had to kick. Then lost in OT.
Really crappy thing is that today 100% of TDs have more celebration than Earl had after his TD. Another SEC ref screwjob.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

VUinFL wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:41 pm That LSU game is on YouTube…

https://youtu.be/IUiu8U3SChU

Talk about a coaching staff crapping the bed…that was an all-timer
Predates my Vandy fandom (thankfully)- but good Lord, what a horrendous sequence…
Charlie Nickens
Ensign

Post by Charlie Nickens »

jpmando wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:43 pm And Vandy RB Jimmy Williams got knocked silly and he did get to the NFL
Who incidentally was from Baton Rouge.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Vandy_Law07 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:59 am

Predates my Vandy fandom (thankfully)- but good Lord, what a horrendous sequence…
You can hear Plaster saying, "That is absolutely inexcusable..."
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

We were supposed to have the deepest depth this year at D-line. What happened? I know our talent level is low, our DB's may not be the fastest, but they always seem to be out of position. (Goes for all other positions as well) but noticed more of the DB's. Having tall long-limbed DB's is great but speed is much more important. Tall guys WITH speed is optimum.

Also, our defense is so bland and predictable. We rarely blitz and when we are going to blitz we telegraph it before they audible rather than waiting until they do THEN blitz!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
thefan
Captain

Re: OT: Re: Thoughts on Vandy's WIN over UConn

Post by thefan »

BrentVU wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:29 pm
Go Vandy! wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:10 pm So, Brent, did your friends have to stand thru the entire game?
My friend ended up buying a couple of tickets for the game for $60 apiece from some scalpers outside the stadium. But the sightline was so bad, and when Vandy fell behind 6 to nothing in the first quarter, he had a flashback to the ETSU game. He said he couldn't bear to sit through another Vandy loss to a big underdog, so he left.

I find it incredible that someone would pay $60 for the game!
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Pretty sure Brent was being sarcastic.
VandyUVaJD
Seaman

Post by VandyUVaJD »

Didn’t Steve Burger lose around 80 yards as VU was driving for a late go-ahead TD against Ole Miss? 1970?
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Re: OT: Re: Thoughts on Vandy's WIN over UConn

Post by cjdore »

BrentVU wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:29 pm
Go Vandy! wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:10 pm So, Brent, did your friends have to stand thru the entire game?
My friend ended up buying a couple of tickets for the game for $60 apiece from some scalpers outside the stadium. But the sightline was so bad, and when Vandy fell behind 6 to nothing in the first quarter, he had a flashback to the ETSU game. He said he couldn't bear to sit through another Vandy loss to a big underdog, so he left.
Wish I had of known that you needed tixs.....I could have hooked you up with 50 yd line seats.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Vandy fights its way into field goal range for a game-tying kick against ranked opponent bound for Cotton Bowl. Kicker has to tie his shoelaces, delay of game penalty moves Vandy back 5 yards, kick hits the crossbar and bounces back.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

VandyUVaJD wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:18 pm Didn’t Steve Burger lose around 80 yards as VU was driving for a late go-ahead TD against Ole Miss? 1970?
Ha! I had almost erased that one from my memory banks, even though I was there for that game, so I had to look it up. Vandy was playing Ole Miss in Archie Manning's senior year. Ole Miss led 17-7 late in the fourth quarter, but Vandy was driving. Steve Burger fumbled at the Ole Miss 20, then accidentally kicked the ball trying to recover it, and it rolled backward 79 yards, repeatedly squirting away from players trying to recover it, finally recovered by Ole Miss at the Vandy 1. Now that's what you call a "negative play." It wasn't an end-of-game situation, and that play alone didn't lose the game, but it didn't help.

In retrospect I could have saved myself a lot of future misery if I had just sworn off Vandy football that night.

P.S. For all those who couldn't tell, yes, I was completely concocting the anecdotes about my "friend." :roll:
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

I was at that game. As each stupid thing happened, I got more and more angry. When we missed the PAT, I am fairly certain I had some kind of cerebral event.
Locked Previous topicNext topic