Juniors as free agents?

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

Juniors as free agents?

Post by Versus75 »

I don't want to distract the players as they prepare for the Super Regional, but they probably already know the answer to this question and they should not be reading message boards anyway.

After Vanderbilt wins the College World Series, would an undrafted draft-eligible player like Infante or Raby be able to contact major league teams or even pay his own way for a tryout -- without signing an agent -- without jeopardizing his amateur status to play another year in college? (Depending, I suppose, on what kind of offer he gets.)

Or when Infante hits four home runs and knocks in 11 RBI in the series clincher, can he take calls from the 30 MLB teams who will be trying to sign him? I guess he can take the calls, but if he does so and doesn't like the offers is his college eligibility shot?

ANCHORDOWN1
Rear Admiral

Re: Juniors as free agents?

Post by ANCHORDOWN1 »

I would think they can take calls, as long as they don't sign. Technically, Kaiser could even decide that the offer wasn't good enough (this won't happen). Remember, Norwood did this with the Marlins after hitting the championship-winning home run in 2014 (he ultimately signed, but he didn't have to).
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

After hitting the game-winning homer to win the national championship, junior outfielder John Norwood went undrafted. He signed a free-agent contract with the Marlins rather than return for his senior season.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

And if Miami didn't offer Norwood or he didn't like the offer, would he have been able to return for his senior season at Vanderbilt?
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

Versus75 wrote:And if Miami didn't offer Norwood or he didn't like the offer, would he have been able to return for his senior season at Vanderbilt?
It's my understanding he could have returned for his senior season.
dore43
Rear Admiral

Post by dore43 »

Norwood had a year of eligibility left, but he told Corbin mid-summer he would not be returning for his senior year. It coincided around the time of his strong Cape Cod league performance where the Marlins signed him as an undrafted player for something around 250k.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

Where is Norwood now?
Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Post by Good2BGold »

vujoe wrote:Where is Norwood now?
The Jacksonville AA team:

John Norwood Stats
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

Regardless of his prospects for the majors, John Norwood should never have to buy a meal in Nashville again. He will always be a hero in my book!
Locked Previous topicNext topic