Sec teams and Omaha

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

GooseJones15
Lieutenant

Sec teams and Omaha

Post by GooseJones15 »

There will probably be 7 in supers. 2 teams are guaranteed an appearance in Omaha. Fla plays Auburn andArk. Plays South Carolina.Georgia and Ole miss will be in supers. All these teams will be in the same bracket in Omaha, if they survive. Vu is the lone sec team in our bracket. If we get to Omaha we will play Fullerton Washington winner. We got a great draw, especially with #2 Stanford and #7 Fla st Beening eliminated.

fldore
Vice Admiral

Re: Sec teams and Omaha

Post by fldore »

Well a bunch of those teams havent clinched just yet, although it seems pretty likely they will. FL, UGA, Ole Miss, and SC were all delayed with weather. They are all 2-0 about to play their first game against the 2-1 team. Wouldnt put money on any of them losing twice today although I will say Ole Miss has Tenn Tech who has been a solid team and nearly beat them in the winners bracket game. I have to imagine Tenn Tech isnt as deep as an SEC team would be when it comes to pitching depth so that could be their undoing.

Miss St is also still alive having already beaten 2-0 OU last night. Today is the winner take all. Crazy to think how close they were to going out against FSU and now here they are one more game away from supers. If they win, they'd match up with us which would guarantee 3 SEC teams in Omaha. Could get a total of 5 if Georgia beats Texas Tech and Ole Miss beats Texas.

Obviously getting ahead of myself as Miss St and OU are both goods teams but I was looking at the opening weekend schedule in Omaha from prior years to get a gauge if our seed typically plays on saturday or sunday. Cant really get a read on what day our first game would most likely be. Unless I looked at it wrong it looks like the winner of the 7/10 seed brackets played on sunday last year, sat the year before, sun the two years before that, sat the year before that.... so no obvious pattern. I'm crunched for days offs work so not sure I could take monday off on short notice, but if we were lucky enough to make it to Omaha and played on saturday, Id seriously consider going up. Went out the year we beat UVA for first game on monday but I'd like to go the opening weekend when all 8 fanbases are there. Bet it'd be a cool time.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
ANCHORDOWN1
Rear Admiral

Post by ANCHORDOWN1 »

fldore wrote: Obviously getting ahead of myself as Miss St and OU are both goods teams but I was looking at the opening weekend schedule in Omaha from prior years to get a gauge if our seed typically plays on saturday or sunday. Cant really get a read on what day our first game would most likely be. Unless I looked at it wrong it looks like the winner of the 7/10 seed brackets played on sunday last year, sat the year before, sun the two years before that, sat the year before that.... so no obvious pattern. I'm crunched for days offs work so not sure I could take monday off on short notice, but if we were lucky enough to make it to Omaha and played on saturday, Id seriously consider going up. Went out the year we beat UVA for first game on monday but I'd like to go the opening weekend when all 8 fanbases are there. Bet it'd be a cool time.
The thing I noticed was that our first game in Omaha would be against either Washington or Cal State Fullerton, both three seeds in their regionals. We have a shot at making a real run this year.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

First game wouldnt be too bad but good chance that second game could be against Oregon St. They crushed everyone in their regional.

SEC not having the greatest day. Miss St did get the win to advance as did SC. But Ole Miss got crushed by Tenn Tech and need to win the final game to advance. UGA lost game 1 and is currently down in the 8th inning in the winner take all game. UGA needs a big rally or they're getting bounced. Florida's game looks to be delayed. Would be shocking if they lost 2 in a row.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Georgia GONE. Choked on a dog bone, I guess.
Florida losing 7-3, but will have another game to play.
Ole Mess tied 2-2 in the sixth.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Who would have thought that Georgia, Mississippi, and Florida would be 0-5 tonight. Florida still has a game to go and must win, but the other two are going home. Tenn Tech 3, Ole Miss 2.
VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Post by VanDSIRROM »

Wouldn't it be something if we played TN Tech in the finals of the CWS? No harm in dreaming a little.
"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Hopefully revenge would be served COLD. :)
VanDSIRROM
Admiral

Post by VanDSIRROM »

Man, just thinking about the possibility of going back to Omaha increases my heart beat...missed 2014 but loved my experience in 2015 when we came up short in the final game against VA...
"For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name--He marks--not that you won or lost--but how you played the game." Grantland Rice, VU Alumnus

@AD @AD @AD @AD
Locked Previous topicNext topic