I am glad we won, BUT...

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Doreknox
Admiral

Re: I am glad we won, BUT...

Post by Doreknox »

Always happy to see us get a win, but I was disappointed when I saw the final score. Talk about a letdown! I've been guilty of drinking the bowl talk koolaid.

Based on one game - Hawaii improved by leaps and bounds from last year's team and Vanderbilt's team has regressed. Losing Wright and Davis was devastating and it was obvious that we would struggle without them. But I have to blame coaching for how we performed last night. Our offense and defense looked pedestrian at best. If the poor play and bad play calling continues, Lea will need to make some staff changes after this year. Pithy observation comparing the in-game coaching of Tommy Chang vs. Clark Lea, too. Our coaches and players can do better all around.

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

cc11316 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:10 am In the mindset of focusing on the positives and appreciating a win which is no gimme - I wasn't surprised at all by this. Honestly, they found a way to win despite really being outplayed and outcoached which is something. I picked a one touchdown game because I figured Hawaii would be leaps and bounds better and Vandy had questions in the running game and secondary so it pretty much played out like that. The issue that I have is I feel like if those teams played 10 times, Hawaii wins 4 or 5 times as I didn't see a talent disparity. Give them credit, they showed up and made some big plays.

I don't think this performance impacts my forecasting of the season one bit as they will improve and I'm just thankful not to feel like the Sunday after Temple and ETSU. Bring on Alabama A&M.
Exactly!!! And I was at both of those games AND the Hawaii game last night; MUCH better feeling today than after those debacles.
They came through when they had to. I'll take a W any day, and hope for improvement ahead.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

One other observation:
While certainly some head scratchers, I thought our offensive play calling was noticeably more innovative than in the past.

In order for that to be effective, we HAVE to be able to do some vanilla things well. To be determined.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Locked Previous topicNext topic