I am glad we won, BUT...

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

I am glad we won, BUT...

Post by commadore »

I think that unless there is some SIGNIFICANT improvement, we are going 2-10.

bernstml19
Lieutenant

Re: I am glad we won, BUT...

Post by bernstml19 »

3-9 Vegas had this one right
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

when have we had a more disappointing win??
BWSeven
Chief

Post by BWSeven »

I am glad we won.....
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

CCL does NO coaching during the game....walks around. Hawaii coach coaching the whole game!! Our assistant coaches need a pay cut. Lynch a bad game calling all around! Swann has a strong arm but is not a very smart QB. He doesn't see the field and locks on one receiver. Our O-line is awful....we have NO run game. I thought we were much further along. Thought we had all this depth....but the O-line stunk!! Our receivers played well. McGowen a great game. Our DB's very suspect at best. Unless a huge turnaround we will be lucky to win 3-4 games. Hope I am wrong.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

Offensive line and secondary are HUUUGE
DISAPPOINTMENTS. Can’t believe they were that bad after listening to Clark the past 3 weeks.
3 wins this season and 0’fer in the SEC.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

The play calling on our last drive, the failure of which could well have cost us the game, was seemingly done by an 85 year old grandmother on meth. Da'Ricky pulled her ass out of the hellfire she richly deserved.
VandyD
Captain

Post by VandyD »

Getting home from the game and that was not good. Swann, the online, and all the rbs looked bad. To be fair to the rbs they had 3 guys in their face everytime they got handed the ball. I thought Swann looked much worse than last year. At the start he looked like he couldn't throw a spiral and he probably got away with 4 passes that should have been picked off.

De'rickey Wright and CJ Taylor seemed to be the only bright spots on defense. I'd say the receiving core looked good on offense but that was about it. Hopefully this is a case of them just being sloppy the first game but it looks like a long way to go.

Oh and I don't know if you could see it on TV but every time number 23 came in for Hawaii he was literally just in to run illegal picks. The ref never called it and was the reason for that last Hawaii TD.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

VandyD wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:36 am...I thought Swann looked much worse than last year.
Why does this happen? Ken Seals went from starter to 3rd string last season. Hope this isn't a trend with CCL.
DonYates
Commodore

Post by DonYates »

Some of it could be playing a team that you beat by like 50 points last time. Also, maybe we were going vanilla against the teams we should beat to save stuff for the big boys later.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

DonYates wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:13 am Some of it could be playing a team that you beat by like 50 points last time. Also, maybe we were going vanilla against the teams we should beat to save stuff for the big boys later.
That doesn’t explain the O line’s inability to pass protect/run block or the soft cushions and weak pass rush that led to surrendering 351 passing yards.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

docdore wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:51 pm when have we had a more disappointing win??
Elon 2022, University of Connecticut 2021 and 2011, UMass and Charleston Southern 2014, Chattanooga 1982 and 1975 ....
Vanderbilt went to bowl games in 1982 and 2011 and won 7 games in 1975. Most VU fans were relatively happy with the overall results of 2022.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

nyyankeeDore wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:29 am
docdore wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:51 pm when have we had a more disappointing win??
Elon 2022, University of Connecticut 2021 and 2011, UMass and Charleston Southern 2014, Chattanooga 1982 and 1975 ....
ugh!....is the list that long?! maybe it's best that i've suppressed most of your examples, yank.
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

The 4th and five pass attempt to McGowan to try to get the first down and then run out the clock, was a prayer, that of course went unanswered. OL was a sieve. Has Vandy ever had a decent pass rush, or one player. We will always need a QB who can move. Dosen't have to be Mike Wright-like. Hawaii also showed that you can improve your team through the portal.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Yup, a lot of work needs to be done on some fundamental parts of the game. Gritting away a three TD lead was atrocious.

We’ll get a great sense of the coaching staff’s prowess or not in how we adjust this. I did think our receivers played well and I’m not as down on AJ as others appear to be. The key is improving line play—on both ends
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

dore74 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:02 am Yup, a lot of work needs to be done on some fundamental parts of the game. Gritting away a three TD lead was atrocious.

We’ll get a great sense of the coaching staff’s prowess or not in how we adjust this. I did think our receivers played well and I’m not as down on AJ as others appear to be. The key is improving line play—on both ends
Yep. It’s hard to fault AJ much when he was swarmed immediately upon taking the snap. SEC D lines will pose major problems unless the O line takes a huge step forward. Talk of line depth may have been premature.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

The many mental errors should be fixable. It is the line play (both O and D) that was very suspect. Our pass defense has been bad for years and different coaching staffs - I attribute that to talent as much or more than schemes. We need to improve - it will be very telling to see how the Wake game goes. Play like last night and thst game will start a real disastrous regression so let us hope we play much better.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

In the mindset of focusing on the positives and appreciating a win which is no gimme - I wasn't surprised at all by this. Honestly, they found a way to win despite really being outplayed and outcoached which is something. I picked a one touchdown game because I figured Hawaii would be leaps and bounds better and Vandy had questions in the running game and secondary so it pretty much played out like that. The issue that I have is I feel like if those teams played 10 times, Hawaii wins 4 or 5 times as I didn't see a talent disparity. Give them credit, they showed up and made some big plays.

I don't think this performance impacts my forecasting of the season one bit as they will improve and I'm just thankful not to feel like the Sunday after Temple and ETSU. Bring on Alabama A&M.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

it's fortunate that the rainbows game has preceded bama a&m. if they'd been reversed, our guys might still be basking in the "which bowl is most likely" sunshine and not realize there is a daunting mountain to climb to gain respectability. hopefully the potential is actually there.
VandyD
Captain

Post by VandyD »

I'm still optimistic for a bowl game. This is week 0 if there is a time to struggle it's now. Remember, we struggled against Elon and Northern Illinois last year but we're still able to win 5 games including 2 in the SEC. Lot's of improvement needed but not all hope is lost after one performance. Now people who thought we were going to win 8+ can probably lower expectations.
Locked Previous topicNext topic