Devin Boddie, Jr. talks about why he transferred

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Devin Boddie, Jr. talks about why he transferred

Post by BrentVU »

The Wyoming Tribune Eagle has a story about Devin Boddie, Jr. on why he entered the portal after graduating and wound up at Wyoming of the Mountain West. The bottom line in my opinion is that he was recruited over, with Quincy Skinner and Jayden McGowan largely taking his spot last year. And with Junior Sherrill and London Humphries coming in this season, things were only going to get tougher.

The article is behind a paywall but I can share some of it...

Boddie had a solid year in 2021, hauling in 29 catches for 263 yards and one touchdown. His role reduced significantly last fall, with Boddie playing in just six games and catching three passes for 61 yards.

After the Commodores ended the season 5-7, Boddie decided to look elsewhere for another opportunity to play.

“I just felt like in my position, I was going to get better opportunities elsewhere,” Boddie said. “I basically was going through my last year, so I was graduating, and I knew I had two to three years of eligibility left, and I felt like I just wanted to go somewhere else and have a fresh start.

“I got into the portal just looking for an opportunity to ball. Wyoming came into the picture, and we scheduled a visit. … I just met with the coaches and saw the facilities and we talked about, ‘OK, what’s the vision?’ and things of that nature. I just felt like everything lined up. At the end of the day I just said, ‘Cowboys, let’s go Pokes.’”...

[Andrew] Peasley's going into his sixth season in college, and his second as UW's starter. Boddie already likes what he sees from a quarterback with as much experience as Peasley.

“I can feel the difference,” Boddie said. “At Vanderbilt, we had some younger quarterbacks that were like sophomores or juniors, but just didn’t have much experience. It’s definitely a difference you can see (with Peasley)."...

Boddie often thinks back to that favorite memory at Vanderbilt, a 3-yard touchdown reception early in the second quarter against Stanford.

vandy05
Vice Admiral

Re: Devin Boddie, Jr. talks about why he transferred

Post by vandy05 »

He says he has 2 or 3 years of eligibility left. He doesn't really have three years does he? Its only two right? Did he get another year from somewhere else? That Covid year has played a really interesting part in college athletics and will for another couple of years.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: Devin Boddie, Jr. talks about why he transferred

Post by MrMemorial »

I watched the Arizona Bowl on "Barstool Sports" (gag) and Wyoming lost a game in OT to Ohio University who was without their starting QB. That Peasley kid for Wyoming was 18-30 for for 186 yards, 1 td and 1 pick. Not exactly NFL draft pick numbers. Who knows, now that Peasley is a 6th year senior, maybe he will have a great season. Our only common opponent is Hawaii.
Locked Previous topicNext topic