WAY OT: Memphis & Big 12 redux

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

mathguy
Rear Admiral

Re: WAY OT: Memphis & Big 12 redux

Post by mathguy »

dore74 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:50 am Wow, a ton of moving pieces::

From an overall college experience for the students, what should VU change or maintain in this fast changing environment. I hope the school leadership will take a deep dive here, there’s a ton to consider. This is almost as much fun as a head coaching search.
I think VU is relatively lucky here ... they are playing in the SEC, which is currently King of the Mountain Top. Basically every program in the nation would leave their current conference for the SEC if they had the chance (though Ohio St. would insist on moving with Michigan). So, unless the SEC starts kicking people out (a bad look) we are in the conference LEAST likely to fall apart around us.

Though it would be nice if, at least, one of our basketball teams could start playing like it was 1993 again ... or even 2008. It would start giving us more than our baseball team to hold up as why we still belong in the SEC (though, I have to say, I think even the athletic directors as other SEC schools would be surprised to learn that MBB tied for 4th in the conference last year)

buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:39 am What SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED was 20-30 (40?) years ago, the best 64 should have separated FB from the NCAA. As you said, 05, 4 "conferences" of 16 teams each would be a season-long defacto playoff. But it's too late now, baby, now ... And you have swim teams (and 20 more already money-losing) sports flying cross-country to play teams with no logical rivalry involved.

And that would have allowed a "Magnolia" league. (Where is Magnolia when you need him/her/it (could be AI by now)?
Ah. This is what I think the end game looks like. Two 32 team conferences with 4 eight team divisions each. Soon they'll just be three. And then there will be two. NFL light.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

mathguy wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:24 pm
dore74 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:50 am Wow, a ton of moving pieces::

From an overall college experience for the students, what should VU change or maintain in this fast changing environment. I hope the school leadership will take a deep dive here, there’s a ton to consider. This is almost as much fun as a head coaching search.
I think VU is relatively lucky here ... they are playing in the SEC, which is currently King of the Mountain Top. Basically every program in the nation would leave their current conference for the SEC if they had the chance (though Ohio St. would insist on moving with Michigan). So, unless the SEC starts kicking people out (a bad look) we are in the conference LEAST likely to fall apart around us.

Given the current environment, and the massive amount of $$$ at stake, I don't think a "bad look" is nearly the deterrent it once was.
Locked Previous topicNext topic