100 Days

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

100 Days

Post by MikeADore »

It's coming. Slowly.

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Re: 100 Days

Post by Go Vandy! »

Time to end almost a decade of frustration.
VandyJim
Chief

Post by VandyJim »

Mike
A huge thanks to you for keeping us so informed on this site. I'm so appreciative for all the information you share with us.
And Go Vandy is so correct: A decade of frustration under Balcomb and White is over ... and it starts this season when our ladies take the floor. Just can't wait to see this squad get after it. Anchor Down, Dores!
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

VandyJim wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:52 am Mike
A huge thanks to you for keeping us so informed on this site. I'm so appreciative for all the information you share with us.
And Go Vandy is so correct: A decade of frustration under Balcomb and White is over ... and it starts this season when our ladies take the floor. Just can't wait to see this squad get after it. Anchor Down, Dores!
I'm really intrigued to see how Jordyn Cambridge does. After three ACL surgeries and an achilles surgery, it's hard to think she can just roll on like nothing has happened. The thing about her, though, is that she's extraordinary. There is no doubting her will to win and her intelligence on the floor. The only question is how her body will hold out.

But, we should not need Jordyn to play 37 minutes a game anymore. Can she be vintage Jordyn for, say, 25-28 minutes a game? If so, we should have the quality depth to back her up at the point with Oliver and Green. And, that's not to mention Bella LaChance, who starts every season as an afterthought then eventually works her way into the starting lineup. Two years ago, she replaced Brylee Bartram in the starting lineup at the Thanksgiving tournament where we played Arizona, Depaul and Rutgers. She stayed there until Iyana Moore finally got her feet under her and became undeniable. Last year, she made her way into the lineup to replace Jada Brown who seemed to be struggling with confidence.

LaChance is not the most talented or most athletic, but she has a knack for settling things down. The team just becomes more efficient when she's on the floor. So, I'd add her to the PG rotation along with Oliver and Green. That should give Cambridge all the relief she needs.

We have a boat load of potential at the shooting guard and wing positions. Moore, Aga Makurat, Ryanne Allen, Justine Pissott, Khamil Pierre and Jada Brown. With that much potential firepower, we could be explosive at times.

I'm very guarded in my expectations because of the youth and because of the inevitable struggle of gelling as a team with seven new players and two others returning from major injuries. That's not to say I'm not excited. I am. And, it's not to say I don't expect improvement. I do. Mainly, I just want the basketball gods to give us a fair chance with a healthy season.

AD*
DoreFan49
Chief

Post by DoreFan49 »

MikeADore wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:09 pm
I'm really intrigued to see how Jordyn Cambridge does. After three ACL surgeries and an achilles surgery, it's hard to think she can just roll on like nothing has happened. The thing about her, though, is that she's extraordinary. There is no doubting her will to win and her intelligence on the floor. The only question is how her body will hold out.

But, we should not need Jordyn to play 37 minutes a game anymore. Can she be vintage Jordyn for, say, 25-28 minutes a game? If so, we should have the quality depth to back her up at the point with Oliver and Green. And, that's not to mention Bella LaChance, who starts every season as an afterthought then eventually works her way into the starting lineup. Two years ago, she replaced Brylee Bartram in the starting lineup at the Thanksgiving tournament where we played Arizona, Depaul and Rutgers. She stayed there until Iyana Moore finally got her feet under her and became undeniable. Last year, she made her way into the lineup to replace Jada Brown who seemed to be struggling with confidence.

LaChance is not the most talented or most athletic, but she has a knack for settling things down. The team just becomes more efficient when she's on the floor. So, I'd add her to the PG rotation along with Oliver and Green. That should give Cambridge all the relief she needs.

We have a boat load of potential at the shooting guard and wing positions. Moore, Aga Makurat, Ryanne Allen, Justine Pissott, Khamil Pierre and Jada Brown. With that much potential firepower, we could be explosive at times.

I'm very guarded in my expectations because of the youth and because of the inevitable struggle of gelling as a team with seven new players and two others returning from major injuries. That's not to say I'm not excited. I am. And, it's not to say I don't expect improvement. I do. Mainly, I just want the basketball gods to give us a fair chance with a healthy season.

AD*
Thank you, Mike. Good summary about your take on the guard play. What are your thoughts on the play of our frontcourt players with Sacha Wahington returning and of the possible roles of Aiyana Mitchell, Justine Pissott, Aga Makurat, Khamil Pierre, Ryanne Allen, and Bailey Gilmore? I see much improved rebounding and improved defense as a real plus with the size and the skills of these ladies!
MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Post by MikeADore »

DoreFan49 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:47 pm
MikeADore wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:09 pm

AD*
Thank you, Mike. Good summary about your take on the guard play. What are your thoughts on the play of our frontcourt players with Sacha Wahington returning and of the possible roles of Aiyana Mitchell, Justine Pissott, Aga Makurat, Khamil Pierre, Ryanne Allen, and Bailey Gilmore? I see much improved rebounding and improved defense as a real plus with the size and the skills of these ladies!
I agree. Rebounding has obviously been a major weakness for several years, even pre-dating the arrival of coach Ralph. It's very obvious that size was a big factor in this year's recruiting class with four of the five freshmen standing 6'2 or more. Prior to that, Sacha Washington was the lone player on the roster that tall.

We haven't really had a true post player to back up Sacha. There was Amari Williams for a short while last season, but she wasn't here long enough to make an impact. I think we now have that true backup in Aiyana Mitchell and possibly another in Bailey Gilmore. That's a really big deal because Sacha seems to usually be in foul trouble.

I see Makurat, Pissott, Allen and Pierre more as wings, but that, of course, does not mean they won't be important rebounders. They have to be. Of the four, I see the 6'2 Pierre as possibly the best rebounder. She's not a big body, but she can really jump. Like the other freshmen, she's going to have to learn to deal with the tug of war that goes on between SEC front-court players.
Locked Previous topicNext topic