A couple of thoughts after a day lurking at SEC Media Days

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

A couple of thoughts after a day lurking at SEC Media Days

Post by BrentVU »

Well, so much for the concert on Broadway; a rain and lightning storm about 4 pm took care of that. But here are some ramblings on what did happen Tuesday...

1. What a torn-up mess downtown has become, with all the new buildings and cranes. I've never seen so many cranes, closed streets, and foundations being laid for new high-rise buildings. I guess it hadn't really dawned on me how much downtown is about to change. (I was trying to get to the Grand Hyatt from Demonbreun Street and right now, with the Broadway overpass at Union Station completely shut down, you just about have to go through Clarksville in order to get there.)
2. I did get to chat a bit with Ethan Barr. He's very excited about the LB corps, and says that with all that experience coming back, it's hard to imagine the defense not being greatly improved. Think about it... with both Pattersons coming back and Prince Kollie coming in, there's a possibility that with regular rotation Ethan may only be playing about half the snaps.
3. When discussing the corners, Coach Lea said there's a true freshman that has a chance to play a lot (but didn't name him)... that almost has to be Martel Hight. The Dores haven't really had a lockdown corner since, probably JoeJuan Williams... is it possible Hight, in time, could be that guy? Impossible to say right now, but we can hope. Barr said Hight has some pretty amazing moves on punt returns too.
4. Only time will tell whether Vandy has made a mistake by extending Clark Lea. But for now, I think it says they recognize something special about him and feel investing in him now is the right thing to do. I think it's the same thing the rest of us see: a clear plan, a purpose, a very cerebral guy who really believes what he's selling, but won't cut any corners to get there; and a guy who has a special attachment to the school. In other words, pretty much the ideal coach for a place like Vanderbilt. The plan is in place, and we can all visualize it. Now... will the wins follow?

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: A couple of thoughts after a day lurking at SEC Media Days

Post by charlestonalum »

Lea was impressive at the podium: his answers to questions better than the very good prepared and read comments. It was good to hear him say that the administration was supportive of athletics for the first time in a very, very long time. That is a given at other SEC schools, but not Vanderbilt. He restated the goal to play at a championship level and he will not be satisfied until that happens. I wonder how many people think Vanderbilt will do that in football. I didn't hear any chuckles like last year, but we beat UK and Florida and now people are more reserved in their derision.

Please read full transcript Brent posted previously (below.)
Last edited by charlestonalum on Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Also: maybe I should have known, but didn't know: Elijah McAllister got both a graduate and a master's degree while at Vanderbilt, and is now studying for a DOCTORATE degree at Auburn. Like Marvel Comics' Thanos, "I want to get all the infinity stones I can in life," he says.

Brian Stultz of AuburnSports.com writes, "He can probably go on and do anything when he is done with his studies. McAllister is that special kind of kid – oh, who am I kidding? He's a full-grown man – that comes around every so often. Every answer on Tuesday at SEC Media Days, whether on the podium or just speaking with another person, was met with thought, intelligence and humor that can have you picturing him sitting in any boardroom at any Fortune Global 500 company as the leader."

You should listen to his whole interview below. He is an incredible representative of Vanderbilt, even if he is wearing orange and blue for this, his last, season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK0-JUb8fdg
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Totally agree with you. He's incredible. I wish I could be that fast, thoughtful and poised on my feet.

Even though he'll be wearing Auburn colors Nov. 4 at FirstBank Stadium, I intend to stand and cheer when he's introduced. He deserves it.

PS, re Brent's observation No. 1: it IS a damned mess. I have wondered for the last 5-6 years whether we'll ever have smooth streets again.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Fayette, I know you've been asked this time after time, but did you prefer the original with the sunny ending, or the director's cut with only darkness & rain ALLTHETIME?
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Good question Go, but it varies with the movie. For example, I liked Coppola's secret, never-released version that had Duvall playing Sweet Caroline while approaching the village instead of Ride of the Valkyries, and rather than napalming it, winning the hearts and minds of the villagers by teaching them the joys of surfing. (That version also had Brando voluntarily coming out of the jungle with Sheen and returning home a hero, rather than being hacked to death by Sheen with a machete.)
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

FayetteDore wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:39 am Good question Go, but it varies with the movie. For example, I liked Coppola's secret, never-released version that had Duvall playing Sweet Caroline while approaching the village instead of Ride of the Valkyries, and rather than napalming it, winning the hearts and minds of the villagers by teaching them the joys of surfing. (That version also had Brando voluntarily coming out of the jungle with Sheen and returning home a hero, rather than being hacked to death by Sheen with a machete.)
The horror...the horror...
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
Locked Previous topicNext topic