RB recruit Jason Patterson: Vandy on its way up, Coach Lea has a blueprint

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

RB recruit Jason Patterson: Vandy on its way up, Coach Lea has a blueprint

Post by BrentVU »

RB Jason Patterson from Sneads, Fla. is a 4-star recruit who took official visits recently to Rutgers, Kentucky, Boston College, Cincinnati, and Vanderbilt, with Vanderbilt getting the crucial final visit. Patterson was in a video interview with the Naples newspaper and seems convinced that Coach Lea is taking Vanderbilt in the right direction. What will his decision come down to? All-around player development (which Vanderbilt touts as a strength) and relationship with the position coach. He hasn't set a timetable for his decision. Patterson appears about 15 minutes in...

https://www.naplesnews.com/videos/sport ... 179837002/

Vandy doesn't have a RB commit yet and would really love to land one or both of these two 4-stars who visited recently... Johann Cardenas from Texas, or Patterson from Florida. Stay tuned.

BrentVU
Site Admin

Re: RB recruit Jason Patterson: Vandy on its way up, Coach Lea has a blueprint

Post by BrentVU »

Cardenas says his commitment is coming on Friday, July 7... he is down to Vandy and Missouri.
Troubadore
Rear Admiral

Post by Troubadore »

Both very impressive, will be game changers in Nashville.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

BrentVU wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:00 amRutgers, Kentucky, Boston College, Cincinnati
These are the type of schools we should be competing against. Not MTSU, UCF, Toledo. Like a previous staff.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Go Vandy! wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:02 pm
BrentVU wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:00 amRutgers, Kentucky, Boston College, Cincinnati
These are the type of schools we should be competing against. Not MTSU, UCF, Toledo. Like a previous staff.
UCF went 13-0 in 2017. 12-1 in 2018. 10-3 in 2019. Nine wins last year and the year before.

Since Jason Candle took over, Toledo has been to seven bowls.

I agree that Coach Lea is doing well in recruiting and I support that. Not a reason to insult schools that are also doing good in football.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:27 pm
Go Vandy! wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:02 pm
UCF went 13-0 in 2017. 12-1 in 2018. 10-3 in 2019. Nine wins last year and the year before.

Since Jason Candle took over, Toledo has been to seven bowls.

I agree that Coach Lea is doing well in recruiting and I support that. Not a reason to insult schools that are also doing good in football.
And I'm sure coaches want to compete for recruits with the best competitors possible. Its a real art finding the line in competing with the right schools for recruits. You identify the right ones and you're competing with Mizzou, UK, etc. You shoot too high and you're competing with LSU, Bama, etc. You shoot too low (which may have been a problem in the past, though I'm not too sure) and you're competing with Group of 5 schools which won't get you where you want to be.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:27 pmUCF went 13-0 in 2017. 12-1 in 2018. 10-3 in 2019. Nine wins last year and the year before. Since Jason Candle took over, Toledo has been to seven bowls.
You're saying these teams' talent is equal to SEC schools? NO WAY. I'm saying if we recruit the same as G5, we are going to remain at the bottom of the SEC. And, yes i know, the Big 12 is taking schools they wouldn't have considered 10 years ago (maybe 5). That takes the Big 12 closer to being a G5 conference than it does elevating these schools to P5 level talent.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Go Vandy! wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:57 am
MrMemorial wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:27 pmUCF went 13-0 in 2017. 12-1 in 2018. 10-3 in 2019. Nine wins last year and the year before. Since Jason Candle took over, Toledo has been to seven bowls.
You're saying these teams' talent is equal to SEC schools? NO WAY. I'm saying if we recruit the same as G5, we are going to remain at the bottom of the SEC. And, yes i know, the Big 12 is taking schools they wouldn't have considered 10 years ago (maybe 5). That takes the Big 12 closer to being a G5 conference than it does elevating these schools to P5 level talent.
The good thing is though, I think we all agree that we're seeing the right schools being the other options for guys from whom we're securing commitments. Problem in the past or no, it seems to be less of an issue now.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Go Vandy! wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:57 am
So when Bobby Johnson had those really lowly rated recruiting classes, people should have jumped his case over it?

I hear on this particular forum back then, that was not allowed. He had to be treated as infallible.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Patterson now says his decision will come August 1, from among the five mentioned above.
Locked Previous topicNext topic