Ladies and gents: We have an updated fall roster!

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Ladies and gents: We have an updated fall roster!

Post by BrentVU »

Wow, 114 names on the roster... lots of players with new numbers for 2023...

https://vucommodores.com/sports/football/roster/

Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Re: Ladies and gents: We have an updated fall roster!

Post by Minoadoc »

we certainly have "SEC" size on the OL/DL
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

The first thing I noticed about it was the true freshman defensive tackles... De'Marion Thomas reported in as 6-2, 321, and Ted Gregoire reported as 6-3, 311!!! That's an awesome pair of bookends.

Here's a photo of Thomas... he looks like a full-grown man who's ready for action.

BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Here's something interesting...

THREE freshman walk-ons on the roster are guys who played for the state runner-up MBA team last season. Two of them are defensive backs: Ty Bartholomew and Payne Daniel. A third is MBA's three-time state wrestling champion, Gabe Fisher. I recall that he's attending VU on an ROTC scholarship. He's 6-1, 230, and they've got him listed as a fullback. The only fullback on the roster(!). Hmmm...

1. I'd love to know how this came about. Did the staff throw the door open to these three... or is this more a case of three friends moving down West End and walking on in a long-shot effort to make the team?
2. Most of you know this story, but I'll tell it anyway... 20+ years ago there was a senior fullback at MBA who wanted to come to Vandy, but Woody Widenhofer didn't have a scholarship for him. Two years later he walked on as a fullback under Bobby Johnson. He was undersized, but Johnson used him occasionally in the backfield with Jay Cutler. Eventually, Johnson found a scholarship for him, and he won the heart of loyal fans. Today... he's coaching the team.
MtJulietVUFan
Ensign

Post by MtJulietVUFan »

The biggest change/step-up heading into Year 3 for Coach Lea is depth, specifically in the front 7 on Defense and on the OL. That has always been the struggle for Vanderbilt. Now it appears they don't just have warm bodies, but true quality depth on both sides of the ball up front. And some young guys who aren't just developmental projects, but could make an immediate impact in the rotation. Yes, TE is thin, and there are still plenty of questions in the secondary. But I've always felt like, defensively, a strong front 7 can do wonders to help a secondary.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Funny but years ago we used to laugh at what seemed every recruit/commit was a tight end....now where are they lol?
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Another interesting story that most of you probably know:

Ty Bartholomew's family has strong ties to both VU and UT. His great-grandfather, from Kingsport, played fb at UT. His late grandfather, Sam Bartholomew Jr. - a Vietnam vet and Nashville lawyer who played big roles in establishing the Nashville Sports Council and in bringing the Titans to town - played at Army and graduated from Vanderbilt Law School. His father Will played at UT, on the 1998 national championship team. His uncles played for UT and Davidson.
I hope he does well at VU.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

We're looking good at OL, DL, QB, WR, LB, DE, and the secondary.
RB is solid but man I wish Ray (or someone like him) was coming back. He was key to our wins last year. Patrick Smith needs to step up!
TE is yikes thin.
Locked Previous topicNext topic