Big transfer pickup: P Sawyer Hawks from Air Force

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Big transfer pickup: P Sawyer Hawks from Air Force

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

A player named Hawks? At The Hawk?

Paul Skenes was an Air Force Academy transfer, by the way.

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Big transfer pickup: P Sawyer Hawks from Air Force

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Only a sophomore.

6-4 RHP who posted a 4-0 record with 8 saves and a 2.84 ERA. 27/70 BB/K in 50 2/3 innings, only 40 hits and 6 HR given up.

Nice get. Comes from a military family per his bio.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

and for the critics,there you are: Corbin exploiting the Portal - good job.
kslaught1957
Seaman

Post by kslaught1957 »

now we need to get a few good hitters
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

That’s a great start. But it’s unlikely we get to the Promised Land with only 1 or 2 transfers-in.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

When you look at VU vs UF and UT (both in CWS) and LSU (another). It is pretty obvious that we lack in BOTH pitching and hitting compared to them. That's why we are home and they are still playing (well at least LSU and UF are).
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Instead of signing 6-7 five stars and losing them to the pros, we might do better to sign all four stars.
kslaught1957
Seaman

Post by kslaught1957 »

I agree with commadore, it doesn't do any good to get all those top commits when they never come to campus. Other teams have these great players why can't we?.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

I'm actually surprised that you can transfer out of the service academies after your sophomore year, since they changed ROTC scholarships to require commitment after your freshman year in the mid 1980s!
Versus75
Admiral

Remember Jack Lupo …

Post by Versus75 »

… who was primarily a catcher at Air Force?

Don’t recall if he ever caught a game for us, but Lupo played 3 seasons for us and was the primary Left Fielder on the 2012 and 2013 seasons with Connor Harrell in CF and Yaz in RF.

Including freshman reserve outfielder Rhett Wiseman, those four committed only 3 errors on the 2013 season.

Edit: Link to Vanderbilt profile
https://vucommodores.com/roster/jack-lupo/
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I read an article on the kid from LSU while at the Air Force Academy. It stated that after 3 years the cadets were committed to a stint in the service. His coach went to him and told him he would be making a mistake to stay as he had millions waiting for him.
Let's hope Hawks got the same advice. Makes sense.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Skenes has constantly insisted that once his baseball career is over, he will enter some form of military service. Good for him.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

commadore wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:28 pm I read an article on the kid from LSU while at the Air Force Academy. It stated that after 3 years the cadets were committed to a stint in the service. His coach went to him and told him he would be making a mistake to stay as he had millions waiting for him.
It is my understanding that students at the service academy have 2 free, full years, not 3, to decide whether they want to commit to the service.

Once they have started their third year, they are committed and owe about 5-8 years after they graduate, depending on what field of service they choose (aviation, infantry, submarines, etc).

This was also the case with ROTC scholarships, but in the Reagan era they changed ROTC scholarships to require a commitment at the beginning of your second year, not your third.

I didn't understand then and I don't understand now why the academies let you get 2 free years but ROTC only one. But of course, I did ROTC.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Any word further word or rumor on Chase Burns or the two from Wake that just went portal.
thanks
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

historybill wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:15 pm
commadore wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:28 pm I read an article on the kid from LSU while at the Air Force Academy. It stated that after 3 years the cadets were committed to a stint in the service. His coach went to him and told him he would be making a mistake to stay as he had millions waiting for him.
It is my understanding that students at the service academy have 2 free, full years, not 3, to decide whether they want to commit to the service.

Once they have started their third year, they are committed and owe about 5-8 years after they graduate, depending on what field of service they choose (aviation, infantry, submarines, etc).

This was also the case with ROTC scholarships, but in the Reagan era they changed ROTC scholarships to require a commitment at the beginning of your second year, not your third.

I didn't understand then and I don't understand now why the academies let you get 2 free years but ROTC only one. But of course, I did ROTC.
That is what was saying. But after his third baseball season it would be too late. Beginning his third year it would be too late, but I was simply relating it to seasons.
Locked Previous topicNext topic