In Corbs We Trust!

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

vandylifer
Lieutenant

In Corbs We Trust!

Post by vandylifer »

Wow! What a great series win! I've been following the board and some of the criticism of Coach Corbin that goes along with our frustration over hitting, fielding and pitching . . . . after 20 plus years I think I've learned that we have one of the, if not the BEST coach in college ball. What a great job of piecing things together this weekend. With all the injuries to our pitching staff it will be interesting to see how far we can go, but rest assured that Corbs will be putting together a line-up in any given game that gives us the best opportunity for success. If you'd told me on March 15 (the day before conference play started up vs Ole Miss) that we'd go 19-11, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. Now our 9-0, and eventually 13-2 start had me getting "greedy" and seeing easily 20+ conference wins -- but the reality is that the SEC is BRUTAL, especially on the road. So lets let HOOVER be Hoover and let's get ready to host a Region Tourney in two weeks and see how far we can go . . . . . .
SV#

DivergentDore
Commander

Re: In Corbs We Trust!

Post by DivergentDore »

Very well said and am in full agreement. He's a topflight coach who built a top program from the ground up. He forgets more about baseball each morning before taking an early dump than most of his detractors ever learn about the game.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Critics said the game has passed by his old school approah yet Arkansas full of transfers via portal frenzy did not have the pitching depth and senior leadership that delivered for Corbin. Congratulations to our great coach.
Also look at Ole Miss and MSU who recently collected the National Champioship, but aren't going to NCAA or even SEC tournament. Sustained excellence is very hard to maintain.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

DivergentDore wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 10:25 pm … before taking an early dump ….
I don’t think he does that.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

I trust him as well, but IMHO if he ignores the portal he is making a mistake. With all due respect for a job done incredibly well to this point.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

He isn't ignoring it, but he isn't selling out to it (even if Vanderbilt would permit it, which it won't as has been stated ad naseum on this forum.) Point is he believes in recruiting great talent and developing it in a proven system. This is why we trust and admire him. He will take the occasional tranfer as he akwsys has. Secret is to keep the talent - that seems to be Cirb's special trait.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Sun May 21, 2023 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

The program developed by Corbin for Vanderbilt baseball has brought me joy on many occasions - joy I haven't yet experienced in Vandy's other major sports. I will be forever grateful for his commitment to Vanderbilt and the impact he has had on all of its sports and the entire school. Yes, there have been moments of frustration. Those, I have experienced in other Vandy sports. I remain hopeful Corbin is providing a blue print for other Vandy sports. Thank you for being you and for doing it at Vanderbilt, Coach Corbin.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

I remember some folks questioning a decision here or there, or the portal. But honestly, nobody that has trashed corbs and call him out that much.

But Schreck is a transfer and he is an impact player for us, he won us many games and I wish we had him 4 years. The lineup changes recently helped. Troy was clutch and some better swings from the team.

What we are missing is pitching depth and I hope the injury bug leaves us
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

Quite possibly the best on-field coaching of Corbin's career. Honestly, we have some talent, but we should not have been close to 19 SEC wins with this roster. Just being honest. He did a great job.

I do have one significant complaint, and it is becoming a trend; whether it is Brown or the strength/training staff, somebody needs to start taking responsibility for the arm issues and reputation that Vandy is developing in the recruiting world for pitchers. Those who know me here know that I don't post often anymore, but I am well-connected in the summer travel-ball circuits. Vandy is starting to get a reputation of a place you don't want to go as a pitcher if you want to stay healthy. The Rocker situation was definitely a high-profile hit to the program's reputation and everything we've seen the last few years is definitely concerning. Either we are recruiting kids who already have too much mileage on their arms, or we are doing a horrendous job of keeping them healthy. My guess is it is a combination of both. I know people love the K numbers, but the faster we can ease Brown out of here and into a lower-level HC role somewhere else, the better off we will be.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:07 pm Quite possibly the best on-field coaching of Corbin's career. Honestly, we have some talent, but we should not have been close to 19 SEC wins with this roster. Just being honest. He did a great job.

I do have one significant complaint, and it is becoming a trend; whether it is Brown or the strength/training staff, somebody needs to start taking responsibility for the arm issues and reputation that Vandy is developing in the recruiting world for pitchers. Those who know me here know that I don't post often anymore, but I am well-connected in the summer travel-ball circuits. Vandy is starting to get a reputation of a place you don't want to go as a pitcher if you want to stay healthy. The Rocker situation was definitely a high-profile hit to the program's reputation and everything we've seen the last few years is definitely concerning. Either we are recruiting kids who already have too much mileage on their arms, or we are doing a horrendous job of keeping them healthy. My guess is it is a combination of both. I know people love the K numbers, but the faster we can ease Brown out of here and into a lower-level HC role somewhere else, the better off we will be.
Hops, I've missed your insights on the board, very happy to see you commenting again. I've long thought Brown does a poor job of developing pitchers and solving issues they may have. I have no connections to the program and haven't lived in Tennessee for over 40 years, but from watching closely from afar, I'm not sure how well Brown manages Vanderbilt pitchers.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

AD*
Levon wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:13 pm
HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:07 pm Quite possibly the best on-field coaching of Corbin's career. Honestly, we have some talent, but we should not have been close to 19 SEC wins with this roster. Just being honest. He did a great job.

Hops, I've missed your insights on the board, very happy to see you commenting again. I've long thought Brown does a poor job of developing pitchers and solving issues they may have. I have no connections to the program and haven't lived in Tennessee for over 40 years, but from watching closely from afar, I'm not sure how well Brown manages Vanderbilt pitchers.
I think it is the long throw program they use. Never had an arm issue until he came and started using that.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Vanderbilt is not the only SEC team with injured pitchers late season: could it be the conference. What do big leagues do,?
A quick search revealed that in 2017, 87% of pro teams had at least 1 pitcher who required surgery. It seems to be a common problem. Due to , well pitching.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Bring back Derek Johnson as Pitching Coach / Head Coach in Waiting and pay him $1,000,000 per year.

I don’t know what MLB pitching coaches are paid, but I’m sure it is much less.

This article from 2021 said Dave Roberts of the Dodgers was #10 on the Managers pay list at $1.15 million. But then he has won only 3 NL Pennants and 1 World Series.

I guess the 2020 championship got him a bump in pay.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:54 am Vanderbilt is not the only SEC team with injured pitchers late season: could it be the conference. What do big leagues do,?
A quick search revealed that in 2017, 87% of pro teams had at least 1 pitcher who required surgery. It seems to be a common problem. Due to , well pitching.
My personal opinion is that we used to recruit some guys that threw hard (Gray/Price) and some guys that didn't throw as hard. Johnson, typically, let them continue their path. Brown wants everyone to throw 95+, even if their body mechanics don't make sense for it. Those kids that throw hard from a young age, tend to stay healthy. It's when you take the guys throwing around 88 and force them into mechanics that will get them to 95+, that's when health issues start to arise.

While it is a common problem across the NCAA, it's happening far more than once a year at Vandy. Holton and Owen have missed time this year. Hliboki, Doolin, Dutkanych, and Moore are all guys on the roster who have had arm issues at Vandy. Rocker had issues late in his final season. Leiter missed a game or two that year with arm fatigue. But this goes back all the way to the Hayden Stone days.

On a second note, the new recruiting rules (no contact until Junior year) should have a huge impact on Vandy in a positive way. It will keep Corbs from taking commitments from 8th graders and Freshmen who often don't grow any further. I really think it will have a strong positive impact on our recruiting, especially on hitters.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

HopsLikeHolwerda wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:26 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:54 am Vanderbilt is not the only SEC team with injured pitchers late season: could it be the conference. What do big leagues do,?
My personal opinion is that we used to recruit some guys that threw hard (Gray/Price) and some guys that didn't throw as hard. Johnson, typically, let them continue their path. Brown wants everyone to throw 95+, even if their body mechanics don't make sense for it. Those kids that throw hard from a young age, tend to stay healthy. It's when you take the guys throwing around 88 and force them into mechanics that will get them to 95+, that's when health issues start to arise.

While it is a common problem across the NCAA, it's happening far more than once a year at Vandy. Holton and Owen have missed time this year. Hliboki, Doolin, Dutkanych, and Moore are all guys on the roster who have had arm issues at Vandy. Rocker had issues late in his final season. Leiter missed a game or two that year with arm fatigue. But this goes back all the way to the Hayden Stone days.

On a second note, the new recruiting rules (no contact until Junior year) should have a huge impact on Vandy in a positive way. It will keep Corbs from taking commitments from 8th graders and Freshmen who often don't grow any further. I really think it will have a strong positive impact on our recruiting, especially on hitters.
I've been explaining baseball to my 58-year old friend who had never been to a game in her life until I took her to Arlington in Feb for Vandy's first 3 games (she also went to Minneapolis with me; the 6th baseball game she ever saw was a no-hitter...she still doesn't quite appreciate the significance of that :D ). I bring this up because she asks good questions and picks up on nuance very well. She asked why so many Vandy pitchers seem to have arm problems. I explained to her that pitching is about using the whole plate and keeping hitters off balance with a combination of power, location, movement and change-of-speed, but that Vandy pitchers, for the most part, rely only on the power aspect. As Hops so eloquently said above, that seems to be the totality of the Brown pitching approach. It was actually fun watching Boki last night throw strikes to good locations without a great deal of velocity. Made Reilly's power more effective following him up.
Saminator92
Seaman

Post by Saminator92 »

Point of order: What actual confirmation is there that Dutkanych's injury is, in fact, ARM-related? This vs. Hamstring? Vs. _____________??
dorelover82
Ensign

Post by dorelover82 »

First,, you thanks to Corbs for all the wonderful years and those ahead.

First, we must understand that by all measures, the fastball of today is not the fastball of yesteryear. MLB has a great documentary on Youtube called the Fastball. Check out the facts. Stalker II measures the fastball 7 miles an hour faster than the Ray gun of the 1990's. This is due to measuring directly out of hand as opposed to at plate. Therefore, a 95 mile an hour fastball today was 88 in 1995 So yes, more players are throwing harder, but in no way the false appearance of what we see projected. This helps explain why home run numbers continue to grow. Pitchers are living with fastball, the easiest pitch to hit, and hitters are driving them out.

Travel ball and paid lessons have created a false industry based on the Stalker II numbers. All of our pitching coaches over the last 20 years have been excellent, and we should appreciate them as well.
Locked Previous topicNext topic