Aerial stadium photos

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Aerial stadium photos

Post by BrentVU »

From opposite corners of the stadium...

vandy05
Vice Admiral

Re: Aerial stadium photos

Post by vandy05 »

Pretty stinkin' cool to see.

It would've been great for this to have happened ten years ago before the NIL arms race, but I'll take it (and I also suspect that this has all been in the works for years as the time from announcement to shovels in the ground was pretty quick considering planning, permitting, etc.). We've got to make a good run at this thing over the next decade and from there we'll have to let the chips fall where they may.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

I haven't heard a good answer to the question about locker rooms for this fall. Vanderbilt has locker rooms in McGugin and can dress there, but what are the visitors going to do? It's hard to imagine that a suitable visitors' locker room could be constructed in the three months between now and late August... they need restrooms, etc. I'm guessing they may have to erect big tents with Porta-potties for this fall. :shock:
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

Looking at that bottom picture, wouldn't have it been wonderful if the stadium had originally been built so that when you looked to the north end you would have been looking straight up to the Parthenon. It would have a nice conversation piece to divert to during all of the Gloomy 2nd half pummelings we took over the years.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

BrentVU wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:33 am I haven't heard a good answer to the question about locker rooms for this fall. Vanderbilt has locker rooms in McGugin and can dress there, but what are the visitors going to do? It's hard to imagine that a suitable visitors' locker room could be constructed in the three months between now and late August... they need restrooms, etc. I'm guessing they may have to erect big tents with Porta-potties for this fall. :shock:
I posted this question a month or so ago here and on Twitter, and got mostly crickets. But a couple of sources told me that it was either going to be a temporary space under Section A, or opponents were going to use the ballroom space at the Marriott. (Seems highly unlikely.)
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

DS2001 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:04 am Looking at that bottom picture, wouldn't have it been wonderful if the stadium had originally been built so that when you looked to the north end you would have been looking straight up to the Parthenon. It would have a nice conversation piece to divert to during all of the Gloomy 2nd half pummelings we took over the years.
I've thought that for years. Just a slight twist to the west and voila, one of the best backdrops in college football.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:50 pm
DS2001 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:04 am Looking at that bottom picture, wouldn't have it been wonderful if the stadium had originally been built so that when you looked to the north end you would have been looking straight up to the Parthenon. It would have a nice conversation piece to divert to during all of the Gloomy 2nd half pummelings we took over the years.
I've thought that for years. Just a slight twist to the west and voila, one of the best backdrops in college football.
Then someone would erect an office building in that gap and … unVoila!
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Versus75 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:30 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:50 pm
Then someone would erect an office building in that gap and … unVoila!
And the worst part is that the university did it themselves. The call was coming from inside the house!
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

FYI...

The stadium is so old (originally built more than 100 years ago) that when it was built, NO ONE KNEW THAT THE PARTHENON WAS GOING TO BE A PERMANENT FIXTURE on the Nashville landscape.

The original Parthenon was built in the 1890s out of materials that weren't mean to last.

In 1922, no one knew that a few years later the city would choose to REBUILD the Parthenon, which they did around 1927-1929 or whatever.

I once knew a man who went to Vanderbilt as a student when his dad's construction company was rebuilding the Parthenon. His name was Wilbur Creighton, and he died in 2004 at the age of 97.

What I have never fully understood is how it is that in 1927, Nashville residents were willing to spend money to restore a Greek temple. Obviously this would be incredibly controversial in Middle Tennessee today. I say this because in the early 1900s, Nashville residents didn't lift a finger to save the former home of James K. Polk, the Orthodox Church downtown, the original governor's mansion and many other buildings.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

Foster & Creighton company built many of Nashville’s early landmarks. Beside the Parthenon, they were the contractor of record for Vanderbilt Stadium and the Bennie Dillon building on Church St which is now a condominium building.
Locked Previous topicNext topic