SEC reportedly split on scheduling format: 3-6 or 1-7

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

SEC reportedly split on scheduling format: 3-6 or 1-7

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

The debate is whether to play an eight-game league schedule where each team plays one annual rival every year and seven rotating opponents, or a nine-game slate with three annual rivals and six rotational opponents.

There are apparently some pushing for the elimination of the mandatory Power Five non-conference opponent if the league adopts the nine-game schedule. I can see that, especially as the lines between Power Five conferences and other teams becomes more blurred, but it seems like the SEC schools that have permanent non-conference rivals (Kentucky, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina) wouldn't be happy with that arrangement.

https://footballscoop.com/news/report-s ... ing-format

commadore
Admiral

Re: SEC reportedly split on scheduling format: 3-6 or 1-7

Post by commadore »

If this were to go the 1-7 route, would ours be ut, or would Alabama scrap the Auburn game and make them their permanent rival. I can see it happening. I
At any rate, I don't particularly like the 9 game schedule, but think it will pass with the no power five option.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

I don't like the nine game format. In addition to making it difficult for SEC middle of the road teams (see Commodores, Vanderbilt) to make bowl games, hence less bowl games for the conference and less $$$, it affects the league in other ways. How likely will we still see the Bamas and Georgias and LSUs agree to a week zero game against another top opponent? These games give the conference a ton of additional exposure, as almost all the marquee first week games involve SEC teams. We now will have no measure of how our conference stacks up against the Big 12s, ACCs, or Big Tens of the world. Every teams nonconference schedule will be directional state, directional state, and regional directional state.

The SEC is making an enormous mistake if they go to the nine game schedule, appealing as it may be.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

commadore wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:42 pm If this were to go the 1-7 route, would ours be ut, or would Alabama scrap the Auburn game and make them their permanent rival. I can see it happening. I
At any rate, I don't particularly like the 9 game schedule, but think it will pass with the no power five option.
I'm guessing that the permanent rivals for each team in the 1-7 set up would be:

Vandy-Tennessee
Alabama-Auburn
Georgia-Florida
Ole Miss-Miss St
LSU-A&M
Texas-Oklahoma
Arkansas-Missouri
Kentucky-South Carolina
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Probably correct, but I know the fans don't want to give up bama/ut, LSU/Florida, and others. I am sure, however, that $$$$ will win in the end.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I vote:
Vanderbilt - Kentucky
Tennessee - South Carolina
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

There is NO WAY that they adopt a schedule that eliminates the annual game between Alabama and Tennessee and the annual game between Georgia and Auburn.

NO WAY.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

If I am ESPN/Fox, I want the 1-7 arrangement and keep the marquee early inter-conference games. They are great TV/content.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Locked Previous topicNext topic