Trey Thomas in the portal

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DoreRayMe
Lieutenant

Re: Trey Thomas in the portal

Post by DoreRayMe »

Thomas to Bowling Green per Twitter.

UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

DoreRayMe wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:12 pm Thomas to Bowling Green per Twitter.
Must have been NIL related.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Bowling Green State U ? They are ranked in a tie at #263 national universities. I really don't want to diss the school (I'm from that area of the country), but the campus itself is not in a garden spot or area for great social life (20 miles to Toledo).

Surely Trey knows his future isn't as a player. Passing up a VU degree for BGSU on the resume seems a really bad decision. Whatever, I really wish him the very best in everything.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I am completely baffled. Unless Stack told some of these kids that with the crew coming in, their playing time was going way down, I just can not understand giving up a Vanderbilt degree and SEC competition in your sport for a school/team like BGSU. Were the academics just too daunting?
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

OldDude wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:40 pm
Bowling Green State U ? They are ranked in a tie at #263 national universities. I really don't want to diss the school (I'm from that area of the country), but the campus itself is not in a garden spot or area for great social life (20 miles to Toledo).

Surely Trey knows his future isn't as a player. Passing up a VU degree for BGSU on the resume seems a really bad decision. Whatever, I really wish him the very best in everything.
It is baffling.
accent grave over the e
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

I would imagine Stack told him his time was up and then lost like 2-3 other players
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Vandy187187 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:20 pm I would imagine Stack told him his time was up and then lost like 2-3 other players
Could be as simple as that. He just wanted to keep playing.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Bowling Green. Hum. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
volemtine
Chief

Post by volemtine »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:14 pm
Can’t be…BGSU can’t afford to be in the NIL game. It must have been his only option.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

BGSU is closer to his Ontario home. That’s my best assumption.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

volemtine wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:32 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:14 pm
Can’t be…BGSU can’t afford to be in the NIL game. It must have been his only option.
Sarcasm alert
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

egbertsouse wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:41 pm

It is baffling.
Puzzling indeed - wish him well. Clearly there is a lot we don't know and will never know.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

charlestonalum wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:24 am

It is baffling.
Puzzling indeed - wish him well. Clearly there is a lot we don't know and will never know.
I don't think it is that baffling at all. My best guess is that he was told that his PT was going to be reduced, and he thought he could do better so he entered the portal and found out quickly that his opinion of his overall basketball talent is a bit higher than that of everyone else. Remember, Thomas thought highly enough of his talents that he attempted what seemed like at least one Curry style fall-away three per game. I dont' believe he made a single one and perhaps he was making them in practice, but his over-eagerness to shoot was part of the reason why his shooting percentage from three was so poor last season.

What will be interesting is whether he will get more PT or less PT next season than he did this season. As bad as BGSU was last season, I don't think the answer is obvious. Vanderbilt was the only SEC school that he was likely to be in the rotation for, and it isn't surprising that this also applied to all high major teams. In general the demand for small, unathletic shooting guards who shot 30% from three and don't provide ball handling, passing or defense is somewhat limited.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

He's where he should always have been....not VU and the SEC.....
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

Jason94 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:08 am
charlestonalum wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:24 am

It is baffling.
I don't think it is that baffling at all. My best guess is that he was told that his PT was going to be reduced, and he thought he could do better so he entered the portal and found out quickly that his opinion of his overall basketball talent is a bit higher than that of everyone else. Remember, Thomas thought highly enough of his talents that he attempted what seemed like at least one Curry style fall-away three per game. I dont' believe he made a single one and perhaps he was making them in practice, but his over-eagerness to shoot was part of the reason why his shooting percentage from three was so poor last season.

What will be interesting is whether he will get more PT or less PT next season than he did this season. As bad as BGSU was last season, I don't think the answer is obvious. Vanderbilt was the only SEC school that he was likely to be in the rotation for, and it isn't surprising that this also applied to all high major teams. In general the demand for small, unathletic shooting guards who shot 30% from three and don't provide ball handling, passing or defense is somewhat limited.
It remains baffling to me that Thomas, who has zero prospects for a post-college career as a basketball player, would value 1 year of increased playing time at BGSU over a Vanderbilt degree.
accent grave over the e
Vandamnit
Commander

Post by Vandamnit »

The only narrative that makes sense to me is that he went to the portal with some pretty loft expectations on where he would land, perhaps thinking there might be a place for him at another top 20 academic institution where he'd finish his education and play more. My guess is that the phone didn't ring. If that's the case, then his decision was based on prioritizing another year of basketball versus staying at Vandy without playing (which might have carried a certain humiliation factor). I'm totally making stuff up at this point trying to understand the mind of a 21 year old.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Vandamnit wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:53 pm The only narrative that makes sense to me is that he went to the portal with some pretty loft expectations on where he would land, perhaps thinking there might be a place for him at another top 20 academic institution where he'd finish his education and play more. My guess is that the phone didn't ring. If that's the case, then his decision was based on prioritizing another year of basketball versus staying at Vandy without playing (which might have carried a certain humiliation factor). I'm totally making stuff up at this point trying to understand the mind of a 21 year old.
I think this is pretty close to what actually happened. It is even possible that he tried to come back once reality set in and CJS told him that he had moved on. Thomas played with a swagger that was incongruent with his actual effectiveness. Confidence is good but this is probably closer to overconfidence. It can be sometimes difficult for a player to understand whether they were getting PT due to being good vs. the coach not feeling like he has a better option.

I'm guessing that if someone had told him at the start that his choices were staying at VU and going to BGSU, he would have stayed. I doubt in his mind this was how he imagined things playing out.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Jason94 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:05 pm
Vandamnit wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:53 pm The only narrative that makes sense to me is that he went to the portal with some pretty loft expectations on where he would land, perhaps thinking there might be a place for him at another top 20 academic institution where he'd finish his education and play more. My guess is that the phone didn't ring. If that's the case, then his decision was based on prioritizing another year of basketball versus staying at Vandy without playing (which might have carried a certain humiliation factor). I'm totally making stuff up at this point trying to understand the mind of a 21 year old.
I think this is pretty close to what actually happened. It is even possible that he tried to come back once reality set in and CJS told him that he had moved on. Thomas played with a swagger that was incongruent with his actual effectiveness. Confidence is good but this is probably closer to overconfidence. It can be sometimes difficult for a player to understand whether they were getting PT due to being good vs. the coach not feeling like he has a better option.

I'm guessing that if someone had told him at the start that his choices were staying at VU and going to BGSU, he would have stayed. I doubt in his mind this was how he imagined things playing out.
IMHO, no youth sport is worse than basketball at gassing up the heads of young players. Its full of grifters, charlatans and ne'er do wells. Those lurkers are always in the ears of young players and trying to convince them that they are better off somewhere else, prepared for the NBA, etc. My cousin just posted a link on Facebook to a site that ranks her son as the 87th best player in his class. He is in 4th grade! These kids get gassed up early and often in basketball. Its hard to meet those expectations and its hard to forget about them as well when you're 21 and recall that at the age of 10 you were the 87th best player your age in the country (sarcasm alert).
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

egbertsouse wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:45 pm It remains baffling to me that Thomas, who has zero prospects for a post-college career as a basketball player, would value 1 year of increased playing time at BGSU over a Vanderbilt degree.
As has been pointed out, do realize that the increased value of the Vandy degree is very context dependent. I don't know what Thomas plans to do with the rest of his life, but there are a number of fields where the Vandy degree brings 0% financial advantage.
Locked Previous topicNext topic