If Angel Reese of LSU...

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

thefan
Captain

If Angel Reese of LSU...

Post by thefan »

really did mock the Iowa players or a player, then I wish LSU would have lost. Sick of the arrogance of athletes and seem to be interested less and less!

dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Re: If Angel Reese of LSU...

Post by dallasdore »

I disagree in this case. The Iowa player, Caitlin Clarke, has been mocking players all tournament and disrespecting them. LSU took issue with it and stated as much before the title game. I watched the Clark player a couple games in the tournament and, while she is obviously a generational talent, she is VERY arrogant, continually talks about herself a lot, and seems to be dismissive of opposing players. She really rubbed me the wrong way. So I'm glad Angel gave her a piece of her own medicine. And congrats to LSU, they really deserve the title. Great coach.
Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Post by Minoadoc »

Clark was anything but what you say she was during her post game press conference, it was all about her teammates. Only mention of LSU was in response to question about Kim mulkey talking to her. I get the racial implications that have been thrown about, but angel Reese was stalking Clark at end of game. And I might be wrong, but did the LSU players partipate in the postgame handshake line, Clark did.
Junnah
Commander

Post by Junnah »

I used to think it increasingly unlikely that the actions in the linked video would occur in a male athletic contest, given the less frequent acts of sportsmanship. Now I wonder if that trend is just a reflection of a lesser side of human nature. Not telling anyone to get off my lawn, just wish it weren’t so and I’m pushing myself to stay disengaged from the emotion of those actions, kinda like hockey fights.
It’s all about choices, theirs and mine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=softbal ... 7yd_s,st:0
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

It’s all about Reese…I don’t know why Mulkey would tolerate her actions, I guess they are 2 peas! Does she realize her antics is all everyone is talking about which detracts from the phenomenal 1st half shooting display by Carson or when Morris basically took over the game in the 2nd half or maybe she doesn’t care. Reese continues to say it’s all about team, but her actions and arrogance makes it all about her. I hope she grows up at some point!
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

This conversation is very complicated. Angel Reese was not classy in victory, stalking and taunting Clark. Clark has been brash and cocky all year long. Angel Reese felt that Clark has been disrespectful to other players and taken some of that on. Clark was humbled and that reflected in her post-game presser.

There were also a lot of emotions in the game and the games leading up to this. I give a lot of credence to that idea as a former athlete myself. I find it very interesting to think about whether Reese should have been classy (I would prefer she was) and if Clark should have not been cocky (I would prefer that she not). But there are lots of layers to it.
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

Let’s remember Angel Reese cheap-shotted Ryanne Allen with a high elbow in Memorial earlier this year and got away with it. She has acted up on the court throughout the year. This wasn’t her first poor sportsmanship. A problem all year. That’s why I wanted Iowa to drill them. She also got away with an elbow or two to the Iowa center and late in the game seemed to hit another Iowa player in the face, at least the Iowa player reacted that way.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

In Clark's own words: :
"I don't think Angel should be criticized at all," Clark said. "No matter which way it goes, she should never be criticized for what she did. I'm just one that competes, she competed. I think everybody knew that here was going to be a little trash talk in the entire tournament, not just me and Angel.
"LSU deserves it, they played so well. I'm a big fan of hers."
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

FayetteDore wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:56 pm In Clark's own words: :
"I don't think Angel should be criticized at all," Clark said. "No matter which way it goes, she should never be criticized for what she did. I'm just one that competes, she competed. I think everybody knew that here was going to be a little trash talk in the entire tournament, not just me and Angel.
Fortunately others are not bound by Clark’s words and can form their own opinions. And I doubt Clark actually believes that or says that in private.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

vandy05 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:17 pm This conversation is very complicated. Angel Reese was not classy in victory, stalking and taunting Clark. Clark has been brash and cocky all year long. Angel Reese felt that Clark has been disrespectful to other players and taken some of that on. Clark was humbled and that reflected in her post-game presser.
Neither young lady is blameless IMHO. And their behaviors are a symptom of one of the things that's wrong with college sports today. My only other comment is that people today in all walks of life are too easily "disrespected". Resulting in too many conflicts, even lost lives. And I've no doubt disrespected someone by making those comments.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Dickeys Nightmare wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:58 pm
Fortunately others are not bound by Clark’s words and can form their own opinions. And I doubt Clark actually believes that or says that in private.
She really might believe it. To geez's point, we often see folks competing in the offended Olympics to see who can be offended the most frequently and at the highest level. If she is able to shrug it off, good for her for bucking that trend.
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

vandy05 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:26 am
Dickeys Nightmare wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:58 pm
She really might believe it. To geez's point, we often see folks competing in the offended Olympics to see who can be offended the most frequently and at the highest level. If she is able to shrug it off, good for her for bucking that trend.
She might believe it. That’s true.

But sometimes people should be offended. Reese’s actions were very offensive and should be condemned, not explained away.
moxiedore92
Captain

Post by moxiedore92 »

Clark sounded very polished and professional in that interview. She's had some great PR coaching! She also knows that if people criticize Angel, they have to criticize her, too. She's no angel! (see what I did there?) I suppose in some ways she's encouraging Angel to keep putting her foot in her mouth. :lol: I'm old school and really hope this behavior doesn't become more prominent. Dreaming, I suppose. :(
got moxie?
vandybrad
Commander

Post by vandybrad »

dallasdore wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:38 pm I disagree in this case. The Iowa player, Caitlin Clarke, has been mocking players all tournament and disrespecting them. LSU took issue with it and stated as much before the title game. I watched the Clark player a couple games in the tournament and, while she is obviously a generational talent, she is VERY arrogant, continually talks about herself a lot, and seems to be dismissive of opposing players. She really rubbed me the wrong way. So I'm glad Angel gave her a piece of her own medicine. And congrats to LSU, they really deserve the title. Great coach.
I disagree with you. Caitlin never looked at an opposing playing directly and did the hand in front of the face wave. She was looking at her own teammates. I also assume that you think she is so ball hungry that you miss that she almost has double digit assists in almost every game, on top of her getting her 30-40 points per game. As for the Coach, anyone who shows up her players with her ways of dress or standing on the court or bumping the ref, I have no respect for. Mulkey is nothing but all for herself. Angel is a showboat, all about me, obnoxious racist and will probably be laid out on the court sometime in the next ball season. I'm just hoping I'm watching when it happens.
Locked Previous topicNext topic