Forum change: from "likes" to "thanks"

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Forum change: from "likes" to "thanks"

Post by FayetteDore »

It appears the old "like" function has been replaced with a "thanks" function. And unlike before (I think), it shows the names of the posters doing the thanking. And the number of thanks shows up as a star-rating.

Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Re: Forum change: from "likes" to "thanks"

Post by geeznotagain »

Maybe it's just my resistance to change. But I don't like it. The "thanks" tag makes me think of Miss Manners. "Thanks" and "liking or agreeing" can be totally different concepts.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Not a fan either unless a “No Thanks” option is included. But don’t put my name on it.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

geeznotagain wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:06 pm Maybe it's just my resistance to change. But I don't like it. The "thanks" tag makes me think of Miss Manners. "Thanks" and "liking or agreeing" can be totally different concepts.
Sorry . Agree with you but just had to do the thumbs up "Thanks". :)
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

I also just now noticed that the number of "likes" each of us had prior to this change has been replaced on the profile data under our avatars over to the right of our posts. Now it lists the number of people we have thanked and the number of people who have thanked us.

Drat! I was proud of the number of likes I had, although in truth, I never new whether that number was the number of likes I had given to other posters, or the number of likes other posters had given me.

Ah well. Things always change. :roll:
Last edited by FayetteDore on Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

FayetteDore wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:12 pm I also just now noticed that the number of "likes" each of us had prior to this change has been replaced on the profile data under our avatars over to the right of our posts. Now it lists the number of people we have thanked, and the number of people who have thanked us.

Drat! I was proud of the number of likes I had, although in truth, I never new whether that number was the number of likes I had given to other posters, or the number of likes other posters had given me.

It was the number you'd received. I was quite proud of mine too. Think I was second behind Brent with over 1,300. (of course I've been on the board since God was a boy).
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

For me, the big problem with the thanks button is that it temporarily opens up a new page showing that you've thanked the poster. It's a pain in the butt.
accent grave over the e
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

egbertsouse wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:30 am For me, the big problem with the thanks button is that it temporarily opens up a new page showing that you've thanked the poster. It's a pain in the butt.
Dang! You're right, as usual. Not doing that again.

EDIT
PS to Don: After you get that changed back, can you work on restoring the Star-V logo?
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

commadore wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:06 pm
FayetteDore wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:12 pm I also just now noticed that the number of "likes" each of us had prior to this change has been replaced on the profile data under our avatars over to the right of our posts. Now it lists the number of people we have thanked, and the number of people who have thanked us.

It was the number you'd received. I was quite proud of mine too. Think I was second behind Brent with over 1,300. (of course I've been on the board since God was a boy).
I had an exceptional number of likes, and I now feel I have lost all validation.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

There was another thread about this in which Don said the old app/mechanic hadn’t been updated to function correctly on the website. I don’t think it was a desired change so much as a necessity.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

egbertsouse wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:30 am For me, the big problem with the thanks button is that it temporarily opens up a new page showing that you've thanked the poster. It's a pain in the butt.
Now when you thank someone the browser sends you back to the thread after the thank. So its pretty painless.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:18 am There was another thread about this in which Don said the old app/mechanic hadn’t been updated to function correctly on the website. I don’t think it was a desired change so much as a necessity.
Sorry, I just now found that other thread you mentioned, labeled site problem / question in the MBB forum. If I had seen that one first, I wouldn't have started this thread.

Thank you Mr. Yates, for all you do.
VUDU
Lieutenant

Post by VUDU »

Well, I tried to thank someone to test it out and I got an "Invalid Thank" message. Maybe it knew I was just testing it and didn't really mean it?
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

VUDU wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:19 pm Well, I tried to thank someone to test it out and I got an "Invalid Thank" message. Maybe it knew I was just testing it and didn't really mean it?
I just thanked you :)
Locked Previous topicNext topic