Fla vs Tenn

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Levon
Rear Admiral

Fla vs Tenn

Post by Levon »

Watching on ESPN2. Playing in a cold, steady rain. Fla pitcher has walked the first 4 UT hitters and 6 of the 1st 8, plus a wild pitch. At one point he threw 15 straight balls. Currently 3-0 with 2 outs bases loaded...and O'Sullivan finally pulls him after 35 horrendous pitches. Just a mess.

Levon
Rear Admiral

Re: Fla vs Tenn

Post by Levon »

Announcers (Butke & Peterson?) are talking about the "Track Man Technology" (?) and it's impact on balls & strikes in college this year. It sounds as if umpires are being evaluated on their calls by this technology, and as a result, the strike zone has tightened significantly this year across college baseball. We've certainly discussed the shrinking strike zone as we've perceived it on Vandy telecasts this year. They're saying HRs are up 16% across college baseball this year, seemingly from the tighter K zone. Interesting.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Man are they making every excuse possible for UT to this point and how they'll be successful going forward. Burke is like their press secretary.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Levon wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:04 pm Burke is like (UT’s) press secretary.
Haven’t been watching that game, but you may know that Chris Burke is a UT alum.

And since he and Kyle Peterson have popularized an alternate definition of “scuffling,” I’ll say that Burkee— as KP calls him — is just scuffling along as a commentator today.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Versus75 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:15 pm
Levon wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:04 pm Burke is like (UT’s) press secretary.
Haven’t been watching that game, but you may know that Chris Burke is a UT alum.

And since he and Kyle Peterson have popularized an alternate definition of “scuffling,” I’ll say that Burkee— as KP calls him — is just scuffling along as a commentator today.
I did know that. I think he's a decent broadcaster...until he works UT games.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Levon wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:04 pm Man are they making every excuse possible for UT to this point and how they'll be successful going forward. Burke is like their press secretary.
So what they are admitting is that without the refs bending the rules on balls and strikes, they can't win. If we had to rely on umps, refs, and officials to give us breaks like that we'd be 0-56.
1vandyfan
Seaman

Post by 1vandyfan »

Chris mentioned the impact of Track Man during the post UGA podcast and said that the ump for one of our games only missed 4 pitches for the whole game. I'd be interested to see the results following the Mizzou series. Nothing against Mizzou, they fought well, but the zone didn't seem as tight.
Locked Previous topicNext topic