QMB in the transfer portal

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

Re: QMB in the transfer portal

Post by historybill »

Make no mistake, QMB leaving is a HUGE blow.

Statistics don't tell the story with QMB.

If he's not there busting his add and playing defense, we don't beat Kentucky once, let alone twice.

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Don’t forget….the portal is still open…we could lose more!
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

Ndorefin wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:30 pm Don’t forget….the portal is still open…we could lose more!
I hear one of the ball boys is in the portal now
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

If we are lucky, QMB decided to transfer because Stack let him know we were getting a new starting C via the portal and he didn’t want to be the backup
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

OldDude wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:33 am Okay, I am starting to wonder what is going on. What would Wright or QMB stand to gain by transferring ? Both are smart young men doing well academically but can't believe either has a chance at the NBA. How does most any other school help them ? The number going to portal concerns me.

ps- Do the Ivys accept grad transfers ? If so then I could definitely see an upside possibility.
Doesn't have to be Ivy League - there are plenty of grad schools that offer specializations Vanderbilt doesn't - or if they only have one year of eligibility left, the year(s) they have to pay for will be less expensive just about anywhere other than Vanderbilt. There are hundreds of reasons students transfer, or do their undergraduate and grad work in different places.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

He had the option of finishing his Master's late this summer, I believe I read someplace. He was going to string it out to play another year. Perhaps he decided to go for a PhD program somewhere else after he finishes this summer.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:34 pm...Isn't he starting a doctorate in mechanical engineering?
Foreverhopeful wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:53 pm I think he's environmental engineering.
"I'm pre-law."
"I thought you were pre-med."
"What's the difference?"
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

Go Vandy! wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:24 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:34 pm...Isn't he starting a doctorate in mechanical engineering?
Foreverhopeful wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:53 pm I think he's environmental engineering.
"I'm pre-law."
"I thought you were pre-med."
"What's the difference?"
On average about $250,000 annually.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

I applaud any and all young men and women who make positive choices for themselves, and I have long thought college athletes should be paid. However, the impact of NIL and the portal has made me stop caring about college basketball in general and Vanderbilt basketball in particular. The turnover in basketball is just so much greater than in the other major sports. College hoops too much resembles high stakes pick-up basketball where the players are different every day. I barely paid any attention to the NCAA tournament. My reaction to the mass portal exodus from Vanderbilt has been, "Meh". I used to love Vandy basketball; not anymore. The laundry (thank you Jerry Seinfeld) just isn't attraction enough.
Last edited by Levon on Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Well damn! Next you'll post that there's no Santa Claus.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:07 pm He had the option of finishing his Master's late this summer, I believe I read someplace. He was going to string it out to play another year. Perhaps he decided to go for a PhD program somewhere else after he finishes this summer.
This is very plausible.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Wright and Q were a huge part of the team this year, particularly down the stretch. Losing them can’t be good regardless of who may be coming in. All we can do is wait and see but with Wright at LSU and Q in the portal the happy glow of the end of last season is fast receding.

Obviously we need to wait and see…but even if we replace them with two NBA all stars the character of the team will require a huge re-do and who knows how that ends up.

The brave new world of college basketball is increasingly not my bag of tea.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

I don't know what to make of this. QMB has been important from a depth standpoint especially over the last two seasons when it has come to being a safety net when Robbins has been unavailable, so we will miss him in that way for sure. But he also definitely is what he is at this point - a saavy player who is very limited offensively, and one who is pretty strong on the offensive glass but not a good defensive rebounder or shotblocker despite being almost 7' tall. He isn't a player who will actively hurt you because he has a very high basketball IQ (which corresponds to his overall high IQ), but he also isn't a player who will win you a game and is one who basically forces the team to play 4 on 5 on offense as opponents can ignore QMB from a scoring standpoint.

Why he would have entered the portal after publicly stating otherwise is not something I have any particular insight on, nor is something that is a particular cause for concern by itself. He is a little bit more difficult to replace than a player like Thomas or Dia due to his size and experience, but that is different than being irreplaceable. But we went from not needing a 5 in the portal to it being a good idea to grab someone with this move.
EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Post by EagleDore »

This kind of stinks as Q is a great guy, VU student and solid backup. He is a player we know and love. Why he is leaving? My guess is it is graduate degree related. Cie la vie. From a playing and production standpoint, I'm optimistic CJS will find a good portal guy to fill his shoes.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

I'm also of the opinion that we shouldn't read too much into the dynamics of the portal. Take an academic minded kid like Q and give him the opportunity to do graduate classes at the school that best fits his aspirations, and this makes plenty of sense. Money says he knows exactly where he's going. This isn't about his future career in basketball.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

My guess is that he was able to get into a doctorate program he wanted elsewhere and will finish up his masters this summer….all conjecture, but very plausible. I hope that’s the case. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if Dort is waiting to see who Stack brings in.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

geeznotagain wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:22 pm Well damn! Next you'll post that there's no Santa Claus.
There's a poster on this forum who hates TV Dad. Even after he gave the little girls a puppy.

He even self-identified as the grinch.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Ndorefin wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:25 am My guess is that he was able to get into a doctorate program he wanted elsewhere and will finish up his masters this summer….all conjecture, but very plausible. I hope that’s the case. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if Dort is waiting to see who Stack brings in.
TAKE IT BACK!!!

Seriously, I hope this isn’t true. He is obviously already in line for just about all the PT he can handle at this point. And he’s got so much upside.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:11 am
geeznotagain wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:22 pm Well damn! Next you'll post that there's no Santa Claus.
There's a poster on this forum who hates TV Dad. Even after he gave the little girls a puppy.

Bite me you jerk. And you are the grinch, not me. I never said that, you did.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

commadore wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:31 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:11 am

Bite me you jerk. And you are the grinch, not me. I never said that, you did.
by commadore » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:44 pm

If that makes me a grinch, then bah humbug.**

Technically, that was Scrooge who said "bah humbug"

You are now free to bite yourself.
Locked Previous topicNext topic