OT: NIL on steroids

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

OT: NIL on steroids

Post by LawoftheWest »

I read that Arch Manning, the freshman qb at Texas, received $3.7 million in NIL money. Don't know if that claim is true. He has not yet played a down. That is more money than many first year NFL players make.

I realize it will be difficult, if not impossible, to limit NIL money. After all, our society now believes that the athletes deserve every penny they get. However, schools like Texas and aTm have backers with huge resources. Oil money. They can surpass almost everyone in what they can and are willing to give the athletes. Ultimately, I believe even schools like Bama and Georgia will not have enough backers with enough money to compete in buying athletes. In my view, sad consequences of letting the NIL genie out of the bottle. :( :x

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: OT: NIL on steroids

Post by charlestonalum »

Until the salary cap rule us applied
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

LawoftheWest wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:26 pm I read that Arch Manning, the freshman qb at Texas, received $3.7 million in NIL money. Don't know if that claim is true. He has not yet played a down. That is more money than many first year NFL players make.

I realize it will be difficult, if not impossible, to limit NIL money. After all, our society now believes that the athletes deserve every penny they get. However, schools like Texas and aTm have backers with huge resources. Oil money. They can surpass almost everyone in what they can and are willing to give the athletes. Ultimately, I believe even schools like Bama and Georgia will not have enough backers with enough money to compete in buying athletes. In my view, sad consequences of letting the NIL genie out of the bottle. :( :x
That is more money than 98% of Americans have at retirement.
Last edited by commadore on Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

commadore wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:09 pm
LawoftheWest wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:26 pm I read that Arch Manning, the freshman qb at Texas, received $3.7 million in NIL money. Don't know if that claim is true. He has not yet played a down. That is more money than many first year NFL players make.

That is more money than 93% of Americans have at retirement.
I'm sure that figure is higher.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Johnmn555 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:25 am

What, 95%, 96%?
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Is NIL money subject to taxes?
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Ndorefin wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:32 pm Is NIL money subject to taxes?
Yes, but I'm guessing many of the recipients of the forms 1099 won't know whassup and ignore the government ... for awhile.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Johnmn555 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:25 am

I fixed it. After taxes he would be at about $2.3-2.4 million. According to a Yale study, the top 2 % have just over $2.4 million.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Versus75 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:54 pm
Ndorefin wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:32 pm Is NIL money subject to taxes?
Yes, but I'm guessing many of the recipients of the forms 1099 won't know whassup and ignore the government ... for awhile.
Maybe the agents they hire at the age of 12 will have some tax smarts.
Locked Previous topicNext topic