SECT Seeding?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Obvious
Captain

Re: SECT Seeding?

Post by Obvious »

vutrain wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:38 pm
vutrain wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:36 pm If Mo. wins they get the 4th
And they did
I believe we’re locked it into the 6th seed now.

Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Here’s our bracket. Good news we get a team that played the day before. If we win we advance to Kentucky on Friday night.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

And LSU has locked up the 14 seed by having lost to Ole Miss — even if LSU beats Florida.

Vanderbilt’s first game in the SECT will be Georgia or LSU.
BWSeven
Chief

Post by BWSeven »

I would like to see LSU on Thursday. May help our chances getting into the tournament if we could avenge that bad loss to LSU with a beat down.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Late game on Thursday night. Get your tickets now. No reason not to be there.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:28 pm Late game on Thursday night. Get your tickets now. No reason not to be there.
I live in England. I could buy a decent car for less than it would cost. But since I'm a music teacher... I'll have to be there in spirit.

(But if anyone would like a free online lesson in how to project your voice more effectively when you're cheering, then hit me up.)
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

Obvious wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:59 am Everything I see says miss state is still in the ncaa. Surely beating them gets us on the bubble.
It's not that simple, of course, and I think we still have a lot of work to do. Because we beat Mississippi State at home, it doesn't help us as much as you'd think. It only moved us up from #84 to #82.

I think that we're probably on the outside of the bubble now. But as for getting an at-large selection, I doubt that beating LSU will do it. With any luck, though, we'll be able to beat them to avenge our previous loss and then beat Kentucky. That's a tall order, but doing so would give us a 10-10 record against Quad 1 & Quad 2 teams.

One thing that might help us a lot? Our worst early-season loss was to Grambling. A Quad 4 loss at home is apparently a worse black mark than a Quad 1 win on the road because it seems to be the biggest thing weighing us down. (I could make an "Anchor Down" joke but won't.) Funny thing is, though, that Grambling has gotten better and better over the season and are now #177, with the SWAC tournament still to come. Quad 4 starts at #161, so if they can run the table in the SWAC... 🤷🏻‍♂️? Although, on the glass half-empty side, LSU is down to #156. So even if Grambling climbs out of Quad 4, beating LSU could mean that we still have a Quad 4 loss at home. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It's interesting, though, that under the old tool that the committee used, the RPI, we're rated #42. We'd likely be in even with a loss to LSU if they still used that formula. (Not that I want it back. That formula produced some strange results every year.) The committee does look at other rating systems, but we're not necessarily doing much better in those. KenPom also has us ranked at #82 and Sagarin (remember his rankings?) has us at #70. So... we at the very least need to beat Kentucky on Friday. If we do that and lose on Saturday (I know, big if)... It will really be white knuckle time. But if we can get past LSU and Kentucky, we'd have to face either A&M (most likely), Auburn, or Arkansas for our third game in three nights. So making it to the finals would be a really tall order, even with Liam Robbins available. But I'm sure that would get us in (especially if it's A&M).
Last edited by TwoSaints on Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story ... redictions
We are now in Lumbardi's (intentional) second four out.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

commadore wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:10 am https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story ... redictions
We are now in Lumbardi's (intentional) second four out.
Gasaway also now has us on his "Work to do" list in Bubble Watch. (Side note, Gasaway has no shame. That column is a carbon copy of Eamonn Brennan's one, which he took to The Athletic after he got the ax in ESPN's cutbacks about five years ago. C'mon, man, write your own column!) Anyway, here's what he wrote about our heroes:

Vanderbilt Commodores
You've seen it happen before: A team gets hot and plays its way onto the bubble just as the regular season is drawing to a close. But you've probably never seen it happen the way Vanderbilt has done it. The Commodores are 8-1 over their past nine games. The one loss didn't come against Auburn or Tennessee or at Kentucky, however. No, the defeat happened at LSU. To top it off, Jerry Stackhouse's team won the season finale at home against Mississippi State while playing without leading scorer Liam Robbins (who is out for the season with a leg injury). Congratulations, Vanderbilt. You're on the bubble, and you did it your way. (updated March 4)

Can you say backhanded compliment, boys and girls? I knew you could...
A32Win
Ensign

Post by A32Win »

Before the MSU game Lunardi said that Vandy needed 3 more wins to have a realistic shot.

One down, two to go.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

TwoSaints wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:07 am
Obvious wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:59 am Everything I see says miss state is still in the ncaa. Surely beating them gets us on the bubble.
It's not that simple, of course, and I think we still have a lot of work to do. Because we beat Mississippi State at home, it doesn't help us as much as you'd think. It only moved us up from #84 to #82.

I think that we're probably on the outside of the bubble now. But as for getting an at-large selection, I doubt that beating LSU will do it. With any luck, though, we'll be able to beat them to avenge our previous loss and then beat Kentucky. That's a tall order, but doing so would give us a 10-10 record against Quad 1 & Quad 2 teams.

One thing that might help us a lot? Our worst early-season loss was to Grambling. A Quad 4 loss at home is apparently a worse black mark than a Quad 1 win on the road because it seems to be the biggest thing weighing us down. (I could make an "Anchor Down" joke but won't.) Funny thing is, though, that Grambling has gotten better and better over the season and are now #177, with the SWAC tournament still to come. Quad 4 starts at #161, so if they can run the table in the SWAC... 🤷🏻‍♂️? Although, on the glass half-empty side, LSU is down to #156. So even if Grambling climbs out of Quad 4, beating LSU could mean that we still have a Quad 4 loss at home. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It's interesting, though, that under the old tool that the committee used, the RPI, we're rated #42. We'd likely be in even with a loss to LSU if they still used that formula. (Not that I want it back. That formula produced some strange results every year.) The committee does look at other rating systems, but we're not necessarily doing much better in those. KenPom also has us ranked at #82 and Sagarin (remember his rankings?) has us at #70. So... we at the very least need to beat Kentucky on Friday. If we do that and lose on Saturday (I know, big if)... It will really be white knuckle time. But if we can get past LSU and Kentucky, we'd have to face either A&M (most likely), Auburn, or Arkansas for our third game in three nights. So making it to the finals would be a really tall order, even with Liam Robbins available. But I'm sure that would get us in (especially if it's A&M).
The net ranking isn’t how we get in the tournament.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

TwoSaints wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:07 am
Although, on the glass half-empty side, LSU is down to #156. So even if Grambling climbs out of Quad 4, beating LSU could mean that we still have a Quad 4 loss at home. 🤦🏻‍♂️
LSU was a road game
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Hey "Vanderbuilder" - yes, you know you still lurk this forum even though you are a turncoat to abandon former life-long VU support from you and your entire family in favor of a man-crush on the greasy weasel coach from Arkansas because he won lots of games at Nevada with mid-major talent vs mid-major competition and now he is exposed as a guy who can't win against decent teams even though he "somehow" got a bunch of future NBA lotto picks to show up in bumfvck arkansas... 8-10 in the SEC while Stackhouse wins 11 games. Which one do you think will be named SEC Coach of the Year??

Asking for a friend.
Locked Previous topicNext topic