Stackhouse on 102.5 The Game: Robbins getting surgery, out for season

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Stackhouse on 102.5 The Game: Robbins getting surgery, out for season

Post by BrentVU »

Rotten luck. Thanks to Liam for a great season and career at Vandy.

[tweet][/tweet]

Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Re: Stackhouse on 102.5 The Game: Robbins getting surgery, out for season

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I hate this for him.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

A great player with the worst injury luck. He was the best player in the conference for the month of February. His talent and size should give him an opportunity in the NBA.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Did stackhouse give an update on Lee Dort?
Vandamnit
Commander

Post by Vandamnit »

We are going to get to watch him at the next level. Think about the trajectory that he has been on. No reason to think he's hit his high potential even yet. Heal well, Liam! Thanks for a great season, you will go down as one of the Vandy greats.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

fractured fibula? that’s where liam was grabbing, not the ankle.
A32Win
Ensign

Post by A32Win »

Thanks for the memories Liam!

You would think that losing your star player should spell doom for these guys now except for the fact that they beat KY in Rupp anyway without him!

Go Dores!
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Really feel badly for Liam and hope it doesn't keep him out of the pros.
As for the team - all I have to say is win another one for BIG MAN tomorrow.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Oof. You would think this would take him out for a lot of the evaluations prior to the NBA draft too.

Hope he can come back strong! As I posted somewhere, size rises in the NBA draft. And considering the dart board that is teams trying to strike gold in the last half of the 2nd round, I feel like teams would be hard pressed to find a guy with a higher upside than Liam late in the draft.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Apparently Stack said Dort will be back for the SEC tournament. A Tennessean article just dropped.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:16 pm Apparently Stack said Dort will be back for the SEC tournament. A Tennessean article just dropped.
good news, but he will need to play back into shape - hope we have a long SECT run and postseason tournament for him and the others to get much more valuable time.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:16 pm Apparently Stack said Dort will be back for the SEC tournament. A Tennessean article just dropped.
We just need Q to hold it down for tomorrow’s game with reinforcements are on the way next week. Dort can’t replace Liam at this stage but he’s a big athletic player. Not a silver lining but still good news. Thanks for sharing.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Liam is the best big in VU history IMO. I've not been around as long as many on the board. but since I attended VU in '01 he is by far the best big we have had on both ends.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

What really sucks is that we basically only got to see him play for an entire season's worth of games due to various injuries. He just had terrible misfortune.
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

Vandy187187 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:06 pm Liam is the best big in VU history IMO. I've not been around as long as many on the board. but since I attended VU in '01 he is by far the best big we have had on both ends.
I think this is actually true. Something clicked or he got healthy mid year. Post moves like ogilvy, power like festus, and could pop out and drain the 3. I think he has to be close to averaging a double double in the last 8 games.
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

He IS averaging a double double in the last 8 games.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

Vandy187187 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:06 pm Liam is the best big in VU history IMO. I've not been around as long as many on the board. but since I attended VU in '01 he is by far the best big we have had on both ends.
Um, "since '01" and "in VU history" are radically different things, particularly when discussing Vanderbilt big men. The best player in Vanderbilt history, by far, was a big man, Clyde Lee. And until Darius Garland came along he also was the Vanderbilt player with the best professional career. But all of that happened way before 2001. Will Perdue is also on the short list of greatest Vanderbilt players ever, as an All-American, SEC PoY, and first-round NBA draft pick. He also had a long NBA career, winning four NBA championships--three with Jordan's Chicago Bulls and one in San Antonio as part of the greatest three-man center platoon in NBA history. (Of course, it helped that the other two were Tim Duncan and David Robinson...)

Regarding some of the others, like Festus, Damian, Luke, and AO, it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison, is it? Liam arrived as a fourth-year junior. So if you're going to compare Liam with them, you should really only compare their last two years. And that makes a much stronger case for Festus in particular, but also for Luke.

All that said, I've loved watching him play and am gutted to hear about this injury. I still think he's got a shot at an NBA career, but he'll have a harder time with this injury. He's not likely to be drafted without at least the SEC tournament as a showcase. And the injury may prevent him from playing in the Summer League this year, which is a great way for players who are better than their rep to get a roster spot. So he may have to play in the G League or overseas for a year to get the opportunity to show what he can do. But I think his game will cause some team to give him a shot--especially given all the attention Luke is getting in Boston these days.
Locked Previous topicNext topic