Veteran coming back next season?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

underdog74
Vice Admiral

Veteran coming back next season?

Post by underdog74 »

Robbie Weinstein says behind a pay wall on Twitter that a veteran is coming back next season, but doesn't name them. Anyone know who it is? Jordan Wright or QMB? Thanks.

Vandamnit
Commander

Re: Veteran coming back next season?

Post by Vandamnit »

Or Ezra Manjon?

Could you all imagine if they all three return?
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I think Ezra is out of eligibility.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Vandamnit wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:29 pm Or Ezra Manjon?

We have 3 incoming and officially only two leaving (Liam and Ansong). In recent years multiple players hit the transfer portal but with the coaching staff and the investment into the basketball program, I don’t see many players running to the exits.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

no, Ezra played 3 years at UC-D, and 1 here.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

VUaskew wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:41 pm no, Ezra played 3 years at UC-D, and 1 here.
No to what?
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

A good way to look at eligibility would be to assume everyone who played college basketball in 2020 has a total of 5 eligible seasons.
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

Ezra is definitely coming back. Or at least that’s the plan. stack has stated that on multiple occasions. One of the reasons they wanted him was because he was a 2 year player.

My guess is QMB is going for the Josh Henderson award and coming back. He should be getting honored on senior day. But isn’t.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Obvious wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:12 pm

We have 3 incoming and officially only two leaving (Liam and Ansong). In recent years multiple players hit the transfer portal but with the coaching staff and the investment into the basketball program, I don’t see many players running to the exits.
You do have to assume at least one player on our roster will transfer out. These days, I think it would make us the rare NCAA team if no one did.

I have guesses of who might leave ... there does seem to be at least one prime candidate to me. Though I admittedly have absolutely no inside knowledge of any player or their relationships on the team.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

mathguy wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:17 pm

You do have to assume at least one player on our roster will transfer out. These days, I think it would make us the rare NCAA team if no one did.

I have guesses of who might leave ... there does seem to be at least one prime candidate to me. Though I admittedly have absolutely no inside knowledge of any player or their relationships on the team.
We could be thinking on the same player and news of Ezra return might contribute to it.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Obvious wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:26 pm
mathguy wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:17 pm

We could be thinking on the same player and news of Ezra return might contribute to it.
Could be. I don't want to drop names - especially when I really don't know anything other than what my gut tells me - but there is one roster spot that seems on the surface like a candidate to transfer to me. And if Manjon returns, that would seem to be ... more competition for this player.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

The two Dallas Greenhill kids are pretty tight, though. Was QMB not honored last year on senior night? I can't remember.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

I don’t understand running away from competition at this level. If you can’t earn your minutes in college you have no chance at the next level.
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

Let me say it again for the people in the back.

EZRA HAS ALWAYS BEEN COMING BACK. HIS COMING BACK HAS BEEN KNOWN BY ALL SINCE THE DAY HE SIGNED.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

MemorialMagic wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:28 pm Let me say it again for the people in the back.

EZRA HAS ALWAYS BEEN COMING BACK. HIS COMING BACK HAS BEEN KNOWN BY ALL SINCE THE DAY HE SIGNED.
I’m not saying that’s who this paid article is about unless Robbie Weinstein is pushing old news to get some clicks. I’m just thinking about scholarship availability for next year.
Silverbird73
Seaman

Post by Silverbird73 »

If the rumors are accurate, it appears that both Manjon and QMB will be back next year. Looking at the VUCommodores website, they report that Robbins, Wright and Ansong will be honored tomorrow
night. Last year only Chatman and Weikert were recognized on Senior Night.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

uh-oh. one wonders if vu's grad school acceptance (or not) issue could be nudging jw into the portal.
quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

Post by quasidiehardvandyfan »

Echoing what Mr Memorial is saying:

1. Manjon is coming back and has always been coming back. This isn't news, it was always the plan that he had 2 years remaining here. He lost some credits when transferring and needs another year to get his degree.

2. QMB is now planning on coming back. That's the change, as people anticipated he'd move on as he's gotten his Graduate degree.

3. Jordan Wright is highly unlikely to come back, but has nothing to do with graduate school acceptance, just likely time to move on after an admirable career here.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

I really hope the team has a good postseason run with JW. He deserves a strong finish to his career. He arrived as a very unheralded recruit, and it was clear from the UK post-game presser that Stack has a special place in his heart for “Dub.” He’s taken some flack this year for an up-and-down season when we all expected him to have a big year. He has certainly had his moments, including a huge role in the UK upset. All told, he has performed way better than pretty much any of us had any right (Wright?) to expect based on his recruiting profile. He is the epitome of a VU student athlete in my mind. A guy who does more with “less” based on determination and hard work.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

So if we knew Ezra and Q were coming back and the report that someone had a change of heart that would only mean One player: Jordan Wright.
Locked Previous topicNext topic