Still work to do ... for the NIT

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

cc11316
Rear Admiral

Still work to do ... for the NIT

Post by cc11316 »

I know technically a team can be invited to the NIT with an even or losing record but I don't think that will happen this year as there are just too many teams in contention after the NCAA makes their selections. I think it's pretty safe to say the NCAA bid is a bit of a pipe dream unless they sweep these last 2 and make the SEC finals (or win it).

If VU doesn't win either of the regular season games and lose in a first round SEC-T game then they sit 16-16 and I honestly don't think that's good enough. So I think minimally one more win is required and maybe even 2. It won't be easy as there are no gimmes like an LSU o Grambling left on the schedule. ;)

Obvious
Captain

Re: Still work to do ... for the NIT

Post by Obvious »

Yea if they finish with 3 straight losses they shouldn’t get the NIT. I want them to at least be in the NIT but I want them to earn it.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

If we end up in the NIT (most likely will happen) would love to see us play "Liberty" and win by 40.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

We are 6-1 in last 7 games with a 16-13 record. If we win the last 2 season games we would end regular season with a 18-13 record 11-7 in SEC.....I would say 2-3 wins in SECT and we just might get an NCAA bid....fingers crossed
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

... depends on how much weight the NCAAT committee puts on the Grambling game
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

cc11316 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:01 pm I know technically a team can be invited to the NIT with an even or losing record but I don't think that will happen this year as there are just too many teams in contention after the NCAA makes their selections. I think it's pretty safe to say the NCAA bid is a bit of a pipe dream unless they sweep these last 2 and make the SEC finals (or win it).

If VU doesn't win either of the regular season games and lose in a first round SEC-T game then they sit 16-16 and I honestly don't think that's good enough. So I think minimally one more win is required and maybe even 2. It won't be easy as there are no gimmes like an LSU o Grambling left on the schedule. ;)
Beat Kentucky and Miss State and we’ll be in the big tourney. No way an 11-7 SEC team with the wins we’d have would get left out.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

This is an updated look into our quadrant columns. We have a chance for another quad 1 victory at Kentucky and a quad 2 victory at home vs miss state. I though our win against auburn was a quad 1 victory but it must have changed? I think winning those two can maybe put us on the bubble. I’m not sure how much conference tournament performance matters as some have mentioned.
janvandy66
Ensign

Post by janvandy66 »

I don't care about the NIT, the only way that matters is I guess that the younger players could get more practice. Nobody remembers who won the NIT the last year or before.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Off the top of my head it was Texas a&m and Memphis.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Maybe Texas vs lipscomb the year before.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Xavier won the NIT last year but they had to go through a 2 point home win against the Dores in the quarterfinals first. Amazing so many are still holding out for the NCAAs when this team will be very blessed to just make the NIT. Yes, it's more games, more practice and perhaps a last chance at seeing players like Robbins, Wright and (maybe) QMB wearing the black and gold.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Realistically we can make the NIT. It doesn’t hurt to think up other scenarios though. It’s not going to break me either way.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Realistically I don't think we get to Dance in NCAAT. That being said playing in the NIT is still something and more practice/play for the team! More for us fans to watch also....
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Obvious wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:04 pm Maybe Texas vs lipscomb the year before.
I remember 2015 when Stanford won it after getting by the Dores by 3 on their homecourt in a horribly officiated physical game that resembled the NHL. We shot 21 FT's and they shot 27 :roll:
Jeff Roberson fouled out in only 17 minutes on the court.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

janvandy66 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:45 pm I don't care about the NIT, the only way that matters is I guess that the younger players could get more practice. Nobody remembers who won the NIT the last year or before.
Nobody other than the team and the fans, yeah.
But that's true of the Sweet 16 too.
You pretty much have to be a final four team for anyone else to remember.

Yeah, making the NIT is a let down compared to the NCAA.
But if Vandy is in the NIT I'll watch/listen to the games and if they make a deep run it will get exciting.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:59 pm
Obvious wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:04 pm Maybe Texas vs lipscomb the year before.
I remember 2015 when Stanford won it after getting by the Dores by 3 on their homecourt in a horribly officiated physical game that resembled the NHL. We shot 21 FT's and they shot 27 :roll:
Jeff Roberson fouled out in only 17 minutes on the court.
Didn’t Luke Kornet get knocked out with a pretty serious concussion?
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

He did! His mother was freaking out, which was totally understandable.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Obvious wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:12 pm

This is an updated look into our quadrant columns. We have a chance for another quad 1 victory at Kentucky and a quad 2 victory at home vs miss state. I though our win against auburn was a quad 1 victory but it must have changed? I think winning those two can maybe put us on the bubble. I’m not sure how much conference tournament performance matters as some have mentioned.
Auburn must have fallen out of the top 30 of the NET rankings with their blowout loss to UK and their having lost 7 of their last 10 games.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:18 pm

Auburn must have fallen out of the top 30 of the NET rankings with their blowout loss to UK and their having lost 7 of their last 10 games.

Somehow they are still 36th.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

commadore wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:02 pm
Jason94 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:18 pm

Somehow they are still 36th.
Probably because none of those losses were really that bad, just a lot of good teams that they lost to. We are really the worst team that has beaten them in that stretch, and we beat them by 1 point at home.
Locked Previous topicNext topic