There seems to be more noise after a loss than a win on this board.

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

There seems to be more noise after a loss than a win on this board.

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Vanderbilt beats Auburn in the last second to notch its 5th straight SEC win, the first time since 2015. We've moved to 8-6 in the conference to climb into a tie for fourth place.

And there is less activity on this board than if the opposite were true. Do more people here really want Stackhouse to fail more than succeed? It sure is quiet in the pitchfork corner. Podcast moderator Chris Lee will struggle to hide his disappointment. And the Tennessean will bury it inside with a single article.

Even on the Facebook "Commodore Faithful" group page this week, people say we Vanderbilt fans "deserve better" from Stackhouse.

What's it gonna take to build excitement back in the basketball fanbase?
Last edited by DeefromAtlanta on Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nashmann
Admiral

Re: There seems to be more noise after a loss than a win on this board.

Post by Nashmann »

Give us a break!!! Most commented during and after game IN THE THREAD!!!!! Geez! Was a great game!!!
Last edited by Nashmann on Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

DeefromAtlanta wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:01 pm Vanderbilt beats Auburn in the last second to notch its 5th straight SEC win, the first time since 2015. We've moved to 8-6 in the conference to climb into a tie for fourth place.

And there is less activity on this board than if the opposite were true. Do more people here really want Stackhouse to fail more than succeed? It sure is quiet in the pitchfork corner. Podcast moderator Chris Lee will struggle to hide his disappointment. And the Tennessean will bury it inside with a single article.

Even on the Facebook "Commodore Faithful" group page this week, people say we Vanderbilt fans "deserve better" from Stackhouse.

Most people were at the game, man! I can assure you commodore nation has a high care level based on the amount of people in Memorial tonight. Biggest crowd since 2019 and I think best atmosphere since 2012.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

DeefromAtlanta wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:01 pm Vanderbilt beats Auburn in the last second to notch its 5th straight SEC win, the first time since 2015. We've moved to 8-6 in the conference to climb into a tie for fourth place.

A lot of people want to pretend to be coach when things are bad. There’s really nothing to critique right now.

So here are two of my favorite plays tonight:
Liam tying the ball up for a jumpball after the auburn player grabbed the rebound.

And the Trey Thomas steal at mid court and assist to Lawrence for the wide open dunk.

Those were two heads up plays where we wanted it more.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

If Stute gets his confidence back, this team will be really tough.

Great to get a good report on the crowd in Memorial. When I lived in Nashville, Vanderbilt basketball was the best sports entertainment in town - hands down. I think Stackhouse is doing a good job in the face of a wide-open portal and a society addicted to instant gratification. He's stubborn and fully committed to doing this his way. It's just too bad he doesn't have a quality assistant coach like Stephen Pearl.

So happy for the players. It appears to be a confident bunch at the right time.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

I think what’s really helping us win games is the number of upper classmen on the team. We waited out the instant gratification period and now we are seeing the results of building a program.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Let's not turn this great moment and 5 game win streak into a criticism of Vandy fans. This is the most awesome it has felt in 10 years or so to be a Vandy basketball supporter.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

Interesting observation. Personally, I’m the exact opposite. I’m going to avoid this board for a couple days after a loss, but I’m always glad to celebrate a win. Life is too short to wallow in negativity.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Voluntary response bias. When people are angry they want to rant. When people are happy they're more in the moment than wanting to type.

But the last couple of weeks have been a good time to be a Vandy fan. We just need to get someone unaffiliated with the program to notice! I still can't find our name anywhere on a bubble watch site ... except insofar as we have damaged the hopes of Florida and now Aubun.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Dee: That's weak sauce.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

mathguy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:04 am We just need to get someone unaffiliated with the program to notice! I still can't find our name anywhere on a bubble watch site ...
We're gonna have to basically win out to be noticed by anyone else. Our record is still garbage.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

buffy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:14 am
mathguy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:04 am We just need to get someone unaffiliated with the program to notice! I still can't find our name anywhere on a bubble watch site ...
We're gonna have to basically win out to be noticed by anyone else. Our record is still garbage.
Seriously though, last week I found a bubble watch site that when out to 95 teams and included 11-14 Ohio State ... but not us.

I know that right now we're on the outside looking in, but we're 15-12, and currently in 5th place in a conference that figures to get at least 5 bids ... we should be on the radar.
quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

Post by quasidiehardvandyfan »

Here's one that has us as first four out. http://www.bracketwag.com/

Remember, the current SEC bubble teams include Kentucky, Mississippi St and Florida. Florida is fading out of the picture without Castleton, but we have the opportunity to jump ahead of each of these teams if we can perform down the stretch.

Auburn (18-9) isn't currently on the bubble, I think given their remaining slate, they will be. Their remaining games are Ole Miss, @Kentucky, @Alabama, vs Tennessee. That looks like 1-3 or 2-2 on paper to me, bringing them to 19-12 or 20-11. That would be a potential 3-9 finish in SEC play ahead of the SECT.

Kentucky (18-9) should be in regardless, and given their remaining stretch (@Florida, Auburn, Vandy, @Ark) I don't see that changing.

Mississippi State has @Missouri, A&M, South Carolina and @Vandy. We need to win against Florida and @LSU, and win this game or @Kentucky to have any chance going into SECT play.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

And yet they are still mentioning Florida at 14-13.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

commadore wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:02 am
And yet they are still mentioning Florida at 14-13.
And Lunardi thinks West Virginia at 15-12/4-10 is in. Because he has an erection for the Big 12.**

**Bill Walton recently called Lunardi a troll by the way
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

From the conclusion to Stack’s post-game presser last night:
“The guys are confident right now…you know…They had us buried but we’re back alive.”

Just keep winning and the results will speak for themselves.
GoheenFan88
Vice Admiral

Post by GoheenFan88 »

Keep winning and the excitement will continue to build. These past 5 games are the most I’ve been excited about the program in years.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

I'm ecstatic that we won, but been busy visiting my parents with my son in California so haven't had much opportunity to post.

CJS has addressed the things that I was concerned about with the starting lineup, as Manjon and Liam are starting now and playing starter's minutes during this streak. The starting lineup of Manjon, Lawrence, Thomas, Stute and Robbins is much better than one of Thomas, Lawrence, Stute, Smith and QMB. He isn't really playing any freshman outside of Smith, but at this point he's trying to make the tournament and making a bit of a run, so I have no significant complaints.

I do wonder how this team could have lost to Southern Miss or Grambling State at home, but hopefully we can make those losses moot by winning a few more games.
Charlie Nickens
Ensign

Post by Charlie Nickens »

You must have been out of town the night of and day following the Tennessee win at Memorial. Sheer giddiness here.

No need to be a wet blanket.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Pure joy from the commodore fans at the game last night. I no longer have season tickets since I live out of state but I had this game circled and was able to attend. Great atmosphere. Reminded me of how things used to be.
Locked Previous topicNext topic