Auburn Matchup?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

mtnvandy
Captain

Auburn Matchup?

Post by mtnvandy »

How do we match up?

MtnVandy

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Auburn Matchup?

Post by charlestonalum »

Wendell Green Jr is their leading scorer and assist leader - I would think our defense starts with trying to keep him from scoring and passing. He is a 5'11" junior guard, and that will mean our guards will have to give him the works...
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

At least no size advantage.
Let's hit them early and hard!
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

The team that hits the most threes wins
dotcommie
Captain

Post by dotcommie »

Currently only a 4 point underdog to Auburn.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Broome is a concern. He used to give big Muszinski (sp?) from Belmont fits when Broome was at Morehead State in the OVC.

{by the way, Morehead who we beat by 40 this season is currently in first place in the OVC}

Broome had a number of double-doubles vs Belmont:

one was 20 points and 13 boards
one was 16 & 13
one was 15 & 13
one was 17 & 18

AND....vs KJ Williams (now starting at LSU) he had a 32 point/8 reb. game
shelbz75
Rear Admiral

Post by shelbz75 »

I think the key to beating them is going to be hitting 3's, playing great defense, and not allowing Broome and KD Johnson to get going. Their two best weapons luckily match up with some of our better weapons. Robbins vs Broome will be a good matchup but I would give Robbins the edge, its when QMB comes in can he play good positional defense vs him. Ezra vs KD Johnson should be a ton of fun, KD will have the offensive edge but I think Ezra can get up into him defensively and frustrate him. Ezra is our best defender and quickest player probably from a speed standpoint, should make for a good defensive matchup. Offensively Bruce is good at trying to take away an opponents best player, I am curious to how he chooses to defend Robbins, I think Robbins being able to hit some 3's is crucial. The last question is who is going to step up that maybe isn't a star, I hope Stute can have a big game from 3 & Jordan/Trey come alive, that would go a long way to us getting a win.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

While Jordan has been in a bit of an offensive slump of late (possibly still having lingering concussion effects???), he’s had an excellent rebounding rate. Despite playing limited minutes the last two outings, in 20 minutes against SC and 19 against UF he pulled 8 and 10 boards respectively. If he can do that against Auburn it will go a long way.

SURELY Stute is due for a game where he shoots lights out, right??? If he has even one more in him during the regular season, this (or at Rupp) would be the perfect time.
You almost have to figure Robbins is due for a bit of a correction the opposite direction from distance, so hope Stute and Trey can light it up. This would be a great game for Robbins to assert himself primarily inside.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Calling all students - we need them out in force and make it the most difficult gym to play in if you are an opposing team. Hope the students and fans play a role as they can. Wish I could be there.

And on the subject of students the Hustler has a very good write-up by the sports editor and you can read it for free: https://vanderbilthustler.com/2023/02/1 ... n-outlook/
Locked Previous topicNext topic