Florida

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Florida

Post by charlestonalum »

I hope the team has moved on from last night's exciting win and is focused on pulling another major upset down in Gainesville. Seems Wright is back in shape and we have to hope Stute can really forget yesterday. Stack knows that they better be ready and I know he is working on the gameplan. He said something important in his long postgame presser. He said he has an "offensive coordinator" who call the plays, but he loves defense to much to not call the defenses. I never knew that basketball could be like football with coordinators calling the offense and defense. But whatever it takes, we need this next game to prove we can upset on the road.

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Re: Florida

Post by Ndorefin »

Just like when we played Bama, Florida is coming off a beat down last night and they will be angry!
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

charlestonalum wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:18 pm I hope the team has moved on from last night's exciting win and is focused on pulling another major upset down in Gainesville. Seems Wright is back in shape and we have to hope Stute can really forget yesterday. Stack knows that they better be ready and I know he is working on the gameplan. He said something important in his long postgame presser. He said he has an "offensive coordinator" who call the plays, but he loves defense to much to not call the defenses. I never knew that basketball could be like football with coordinators calling the offense and defense. But whatever it takes, we need this next game to prove we can upset on the road.
If Stute follows his recent shooting trend he will be deadly from three on Saturday.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

colin castleton has turned into a very reliable gator center. will we play twin towers against him? will liam make him eat half of his shots? sure hope so….
EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Post by EagleDore »

I look forward to seeing Liam play against Castleton. Castleton is really good. Should be a fun matchup. BTW, I will be going in person...my son is a SR at UF. Look forward to seeing the team live in the ODome. Hope I'm not a lonely voice...
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

What do we know about their other players and someone fill us in on their coach. Can we beat them there? If so, how?
vandybl
Commander

Post by vandybl »

Castleton is a talented player. He has a deft jump hook shot with his right hand that is nearly impossible to block. If he can get the ball around 6-8 feet from the basket, with space, he will make many of those shots. I hope the "twin towers" can offset that, but also double-teaming him even with a smaller player may be effective. Force him to make someone else shoot. Robbins needs to stay out of foul trouble. Hoping for a big VU win on Saturday.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Ndorefin wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:33 pm Just like when we played Bama, Florida is coming off a beat down last night and they will be angry!
However, Florida is NOT Alabama.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Who besides Castleton are their scorers? Do they kick it out for a 3 if he is doubled or do they have midrange shooters. This is the tactical game Stack likes to scheme defenses for. Hope we have plenty in the tank: we will need it.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

charlestonalum wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:02 am Who besides Castleton are their scorers? Do they kick it out for a 3 if he is doubled or do they have midrange shooters. This is the tactical game Stack likes to scheme defenses for. Hope we have plenty in the tank: we will need it.
Alex Fudge is an interesting player. Even though he only averages like 7ppg and 5rpg, the guy has a 7-foot wingspan and can jump out of the gym. He is certainly being watched by NBA scouts often. He did score 13 vs 5th ranked UConn but not many big scoring games since then. He fouled out vs A&M and finished two other recent games with 4 fouls. We can't have this be his breakout game. That would be bad.

Will Richard the Belmont transfer is averaging 10 and 4. He's hitting 41% from 3 this season. Dangerous.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

EagleDore wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:18 pm I look forward to seeing Liam play against Castleton. Castleton is really good. Should be a fun matchup. BTW, I will be going in person...my son is a SR at UF. Look forward to seeing the team live in the ODome. Hope I'm not a lonely voice...
agree. hope the refs let them play to a reasonable extent
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Castleton is a mouthy jerk.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

VUaskew wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:44 pm Castleton is a mouthy jerk.
I have been impressed with the workmanship of Liam and his maturity: hopefully that will frustrate Castleton.
A32Win
Ensign

Post by A32Win »

OldDude wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:02 pm
EagleDore wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:18 pm I look forward to seeing Liam play against Castleton. Castleton is really good. Should be a fun matchup. BTW, I will be going in person...my son is a SR at UF. Look forward to seeing the team live in the ODome. Hope I'm not a lonely voice...
agree. hope the refs let them play to a reasonable extent
No worries, Castleton will be allowed to do anything he likes...😉
A32Win
Ensign

Post by A32Win »

Every article that I have perused regarding the game today indicates that it is the Gators who see this as a must win game. Florida is favored by 9 points at home but If we can find a way to hang around long enough the pressure on them will only mount and that is when things could get interesting.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Pressure is good: even defensive pressure
Locked Previous topicNext topic