Reasons to keep hope alive going into SEC play

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Vandamnit
Commander

Reasons to keep hope alive going into SEC play

Post by Vandamnit »

Let me begin by stating that I tend to tack optimistic in general. So, hear me out. I've watched all the games this season (every season) and have a sense of a few things. I have seen each starter show glimpses of the kind of game that can lead to success. Robbins, Wright, Lawrence, Manjon, and Stute have showed that they have moments of true brilliance. I have seen good things from Thomas, Smith, QMB, and Ansong. I'd say the sample size is too small to comment on Dia, Dort, Lewis, or Shelby. I've said before (and received grief for it) that we have two upperclassmen that I expect to see playing at the next level (Stute and Robbins). The team has the ingredients to turn things around. I see them playing hard, but have struggled mightily to put together a complete game where everyone is firing on all cylinders at the same time. BUT I really do see the potential here. AND, other than Paul Lewis, I think we are healthy heading into SEC play (fingers crossed that Jordan Wright's injuries will be behind him now that he's had some rest). That factors well for us.

The factors that have been our liabilities are curable: Turnovers, free throw shooting, missing bunnies, poor choice on who shoots 3-point shots (please Liam, just don't, you're at 19% from 3 and freakin 53% from 2point land, play some moneyball).

We do need some magic to move forward. I believe Thomas can shoot more consistently. I believe QMB can improve his shooting %, esp on the many missed point-blank shots. I believe Paul Lewis will show himself a threat from 3 if he can get healthy (he's 33% with low sample #). And I believe that Lawrence can continue being our most accurate shooting guard while reducing his turnovers. Factor in some X-factor like a sudden break out for Smith or one of the other freshmen....and maybe we can see a post-season (NIT).

Let's see if they can put together a complete game against SE Louisiana on Friday...play up to our potential, not down to the opponent's level. I'll be watching.

I want to believe.

Doreknox
Admiral

Re: Reasons to keep hope alive going into SEC play

Post by Doreknox »

Vandamnit wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:11 pm
The factors that have been our liabilities are curable: Turnovers, free throw shooting, missing bunnies, poor choice on who shoots 3-point shots (please Liam, just don't, you're at 19% from 3 and freakin 53% from 2point land, play some moneyball)...I want to believe.
I agree, but I don't know how you fix God-given talent. Stack has recruited a bunch of great athletes who are, for the most part, NOT good shooters. Pippin was definitely an anomaly amid the Stackhouse Experience. We used to always find sharpshooters to play for us, but apparently someone has decided they are no longer necessary at Vanderbilt. I am baffled as to why we continue to sign shooting guards and wings...heck anybody...who can't shoot.
Last edited by Doreknox on Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason94
Admiral

Re: Reasons to keep hope alive going into SEC play

Post by Jason94 »

Vandamnit wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:11 pm Let me begin by stating that I tend to tack optimistic in general. So, hear me out. I've watched all the games this season (every season) and have a sense of a few things. I have seen each starter show glimpses of the kind of game that can lead to success. Robbins, Wright, Lawrence, Manjon, and Stute have showed that they have moments of true brilliance. I have seen good things from Thomas, Smith, QMB, and Ansong. I'd say the sample size is too small to comment on Dia, Dort, Lewis, or Shelby. I've said before (and received grief for it) that we have two upperclassmen that I expect to see playing at the next level (Stute and Robbins). The team has the ingredients to turn things around. I see them playing hard, but have struggled mightily to put together a complete game where everyone is firing on all cylinders at the same time. BUT I really do see the potential here. AND, other than Paul Lewis, I think we are healthy heading into SEC play (fingers crossed that Jordan Wright's injuries will be behind him now that he's had some rest). That factors well for us.

The factors that have been our liabilities are curable: Turnovers, free throw shooting, missing bunnies, poor choice on who shoots 3-point shots (please Liam, just don't, you're at 19% from 3 and freakin 53% from 2point land, play some moneyball).

We do need some magic to move forward. I believe Thomas can shoot more consistently. I believe QMB can improve his shooting %, esp on the many missed point-blank shots. I believe Paul Lewis will show himself a threat from 3 if he can get healthy (he's 33% with low sample #). And I believe that Lawrence can continue being our most accurate shooting guard while reducing his turnovers. Factor in some X-factor like a sudden break out for Smith or one of the other freshmen....and maybe we can see a post-season (NIT).

Let's see if they can put together a complete game against SE Louisiana on Friday...play up to our potential, not down to the opponent's level. I'll be watching.

I want to believe.
Yes and No. A lot of the errors and mistakes we have been making are silly, and one would hope they would be easily correctable. However no coach teaches his players to make these mistakes are simply lets them go when the team isn't winning. It would be one thing if we were making these mistakes as a young team trying to figure things out, but when we have 4 seniors and 3 juniors in our rotation the errors we see are much more problematic. For the most part, the players we are currently playing are who they are - it is not realistic to expect a big jump from any of the non-freshmen rotation players at this point.
Locked Previous topicNext topic