2023, looking ahead

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

coachinwaiting
Admiral

2023, looking ahead

Post by coachinwaiting »

First of all, in hindsight 2022 resulted in a better W/L record than most expected, even true Vandy fans. It far exceeded the wise guys in Vegas and other sports books. I doubt that many of those folks will change their opinions of Vanderbilt next year either, at least not by much, but they could be off again.

Three of the first four games should be viewed as games Vanderbilt would be favored to win, even the UNLV road game. Wake Forest, also on the road, will be a test. But a test that could and possibly should be in reach.

The SEC games that stand out as most critical to a W/L improvement in my opinion are the first two, Kentucky and Missouri, both VU home games. Vandy needs to play better against Missouri than it did this year, and hopefully do just as well against UK again. These opponents will be coming off of lesser OOC competition when they come to Nashville, so both may come in pretty ramped up.

Vandy plays 8 straight before its first bye week on 10/21/23, and it is certainly possibly to match 2022's win record by then. It's not a prediction (yet), but it's a nice thought and would be a great sign of progress.

SV#

Nashmann
Admiral

Re: 2023, looking ahead

Post by Nashmann »

I would love more than a 6 win season and a bowl game. I am not so sure next year's squad can accomplish that. No matter who starts Wright or Swann(I still feel Swann is our answer)a lot will depend on how our O-line improves. Can anyone enlighten me on how that happens? Please help me see how....give me hope? Also, how does our inept DB play improves? They played awfully. Slow. Couldn't cover almost anyone. How is that going to improve? Do we have any speed in the receiving corp coming in the near future? Are we stuck with the same DC? I believe if we have the same overall staff next year we are doomed. I know it takes several recruiting years to turn things around but I see us no better than 4-8. Pray, I am wrong. I need hope. Can anyone give me some reasons we improve next year?
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I'll tell you what, this small but loyal bunch of VU fans are the most resilient college athletics fans in the nation. We want success like everyone else but understand the limitations and impediments that this program faces and continue to support and hope for the best. It's kind of inspirational to have a 2023 thread so close to the 2022 ending thread but God love us, this is what you sign up for when your dad convinces you that this is the right program to support when you are 8 years old (ok, projecting a little).

For 2023, I'm just hoping the team is a bit better than the 2022 one and someday I will get to book a bowl trip again. Maybe it will be 2023.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

Positives: Another year in the CCL system. Another year of CCL recruits. Sam Hartman is leaving Wake- and no Alabama.

Negatives: UGA, and Tenn powerhouses, and SC looking like they're getting back to prime Spurrier level.

Agreed w/coachinwaiting that season will hinge on fast start- including against KY (assumedly fired up/out for revenge), and Mizzou. Ws will be tough to come by late in the year- especially if Freeze quickly rehabs Auburn.
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

I predicted 4 wins this year, so having the team win 5 and finally stop the SEC losing streak was a big deal. I say this season was a success and a step in the right direction. Before I give a solid prediction for next year, I would like to see what happens with transfers and recruiting. If we can keep our players from transferring out, we have a great shot at a bowl next year.

Without knowing who stays and who goes, I am going to try and make a way too early prediction for next year. Looking at the schedule we should win against Hawaii, Alabama A&M, and UNLV. We have a chance against Wake, Missouri, Kentucky, Florida, and Auburn.

We will most likely get beat by Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, and Ole Miss.

So, between 3-9 and 8-4. I'm going out on a limb and saying 6-6 and becoming bowl eligible.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Every summer/fall we look at the schedule and pretty much always the consensus is that its a tough schedule to find our way to a bowl and that the next year's schedule is better. Its always hard to know what exactly is the truth. I'm not ready to make USCe a player in our conference. In the last 50 years they've only been better than a 6-7 win team when they have literal hall of fame coaches in Spurrier and Holtz. We'll see if Beamer hits that mark for them.
Locked Previous topicNext topic