Lea: A.J. Swann still "working his way back"

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Lea: A.J. Swann still "working his way back"

Post by BrentVU »

"...we're hoping for him to be back at practice Wednesday... if so, it tips to the one who gives us the best chance to win."

BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Re: Lea: A.J. Swann still "working his way back"

Post by BILTMORE »

BrentVU wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:57 pm "...we're hoping for him to be back at practice Wednesday... if so, it tips to the one who gives us the best chance to win."
Eh... I don't love this.
At this point, I want our qb to have full confidence that he's the man heading into this game.
I'd rather have Mike Wright coming off a two game win streak getting full reps and getting the full attention of our staff game planning around his strengths and limitations.
I'd be concerned having a rusty freshman with 3 practices of half reps going into this game.

Even though we saw USC torch the UT defense through the air, I don't think either qb can succeed with that blueprint - not with our current personnel.

Against UT, we're going to need to control the ball and keep them off balance. I think Wright gives us the best chance to do that--even though he suffers in the pass game. Yeah... Swann is a better passer with awesome potential, but I don't think this is the week or the game to rush him out there.
Lynchsr
Captain

Post by Lynchsr »

Agree. But I would be very disappointed if Coach Lea came out and said who are starting QB is going to be. Let that TN defense worry about both Wright or Swann taking snaps in the game.

How coach runs practices does not need to agree with what he says to the press.

At this point I trust the coaches to do what they think gives them the best chance to win.
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

Lynchsr wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:53 pm Agree. But I would be very disappointed if Coach Lea came out and said who are starting QB is going to be. Let that TN defense worry about both Wright or Swann taking snaps in the game.

How coach runs practices does not need to agree with what he says to the press.

At this point I trust the coaches to do what they think gives them the best chance to win.
Agree
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Don't forget, Wright already has one start under his belt vs. the "Big" Orange, though it wasn't very pretty. He threw a pick-6 to give UT its first score, went 16-for-31 for 198 yards (his one TD was a Hail Mary just before halftime), and rushed 11 times for 7 net yards and a TD, in a 45-21 loss at Neyland Stadium.

(Not weighing in on whether he should start, just reporting what happened last year.)
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

If the game says close, I like the Wright and Ray plan. Ray smash them repeatedly and Mike gash them a couple of times. If they are forced to stack the box Wright can hit our WR's a couple-few times against their DBs one on one.
If they are able to stop the run game with their base D and exploiting their corners becomes the mainstay, play Seals.
Even if Swann were to lead the team to victory I don't like playing Russian Roulette with the young man's brain.
Last edited by alathIN on Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

BILTMORE wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:21 pm
BrentVU wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:57 pm "...we're hoping for him to be back at practice Wednesday... if so, it tips to the one who gives us the best chance to win."
Yeah... Swann is a better passer with awesome potential, but I don't think this is the week or the game to rush him out there.
But he may be ready for the bowl game.
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

Wright to start- with a couple "Swann plays" in our back pocket if we want/need them would be my guess...
Locked Previous topicNext topic