Thoughts on Vandy's 24-21 WIN over Kentucky

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Thoughts on Vandy's 24-21 WIN over Kentucky

Post by BrentVU »

Wait, what?

You're telling me that Vandy limped up to Lexington without A.J. Swann, without three offensive line starters, with flu having ravaged the team and coaches this week, had to play No. 24-ranked Wildcats (who had beaten us six times in a row and had won ten games last year) before a hostile crowd, in the mid-November cold and freezing rain? And they WON the dang game?!? And had to come from behind in the fourth quarter to do it?

Mine eyes have witnessed it, and I swear it on Rupp Arena: the Commodores gave Clark Lea his first SEC victory!!! The win snapped an SEC losing streak (that was starting to get entirely out of hand) and carries enormous significance for the program. (If Vandy had finished a second straight season under Lea without an SEC win, discontent would have started to swirl. But Lea has now doubled Team One's win total, and now that the horrid streak is history, the monkey is off his back. For this offseason, at least.)

So, how the heck did they do it? For starters, the defense bent but did not break for most of the game, holding UK mostly to field goals, until UK's go-ahead possession in the fourth quarter. They got good pressure on turf-toe-hampered Will Levis (probably a first-round pick next year) and held him to 109 yards passing. They blocked a field goal attempt, which turned out to be huge, and they stymied UK twice on 2-point conversions, also huge. When they finally did give up the one explosive play to Chris Rodriguez, everyone thought, that's it, Vandy will fold. (I might or might not have thought that!) But I will say this-- at least they surrendered that easy TD with plenty of time to respond, five minutes. ;)

And respond, Vandy's offense did. Ray Davis had been having a good day on the ground, and Mike Wright had been keeping UK's D off-balance with his running and throwing. The Cats bailed Vandy out with a hands-to-the-face penalty on fourth down that nullified a game-ending Wright INT. With Vandy trailing by 4, somehow Wright connected with Quincy Skinner on a bomb that set up the winning play-- a third-down pass over the middle to Will Sheppard, who was mysteriously only single-covered. Vandy still had to stop UK, but the defense came up big again with a Christian James sack and a C.J. Taylor interception. Euphoria!

Wright, forced back into the starter's role, was brilliant at times and accurate enough as a passer to keep Vandy in it. His pass to Skinner, and the game-winner zipped to Sheppard, momentarily silenced any critics. He showed great moxie in leading Vandy on a game-winning drive. Oh yeah, he also had 126 yards rushing. It was a performance that measured up to his dynamic personality, which all Vandy fans already loved.

Oh yes, it was ugly, and some may try to downplay the win. UK was missing two LB starters; its offensive line is not up to SEC standards; and Levis was not himself. UK's penalty bailed us out. Other SEC East programs will look at this result and snicker. But none of that will tarnish this win. Vandy overcame injuries, bad calls, doubters, its perennial nemesis Rodriguez, and some demons of its own in finally putting the SEC streak to an end. The last time I saw this kind of unbridled emotion in a Vandy locker room was 2003-- when coincidentally Vandy beat Kentucky at home to end another awful SEC losing streak. Clark Lea, by the way, played in that game.

Back in the 1990's, Vanderbilt always had to finish the season against East powerhouses Florida and Tennessee; and that's what the schedule has handed us this year. That's two really tough games left, but Vandy will be playing with house money. And hey, Florida lost by ten points at home earlier this season to this same team we beat today.

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Re: Thoughts on Vandy's 24-21 WIN over Kentucky

Post by FayetteDore »

Halfway to your mid-season prediction of two more wins.

Everyone who can needs to show up for the Florida game next week. I'll be there early.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Congratulations also to Coach Lea's old boss Brian Kelly, who has against all odds guided his team to a berth in the SEC Championship Game in his first season at LSU. I'm not particularly an LSU fan, but it's good to see someone break the stranglehold Bama has held on that division.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Kentucky cornerback Carrington Valentine, No. 14, had been going back and forth all day with Will Sheppard and had been doing a pretty good job; by the fourth quarter, Sheppard only had four catches.

On Vandy's game-winning drive, Mike Wright threw a long pass on third down incomplete down the left sideline; not sure if it was to Ray Davis or Quincy Skinner. Both Ray Davis and Valentine were slow to get up and had to come out of the game after play was stopped. Valentine was replaced by freshman Maxwell Hairston, No. 31. It was 4th-and-11 with the game on the line. Wright threw long down the right sideline to Skinner, who was covered by Hairston; 42-yard completion.

Give OC Joey Lynch credit for recognizing Valentine's absence and picking on the inexperienced Hairston.

Ray Davis came back in and played another play or two, before taking himself out and going into the tent. He was holding his right rib; let's all hope nothing was broken. He had his second straight 100-yard game and I don't think we win this game without him.
CommodoreDad
Captain

Post by CommodoreDad »

“DARE TO BELIEVE!”
Georgiadore
Captain

Post by Georgiadore »

It was indeed a great day to go Krogering!
Locked Previous topicNext topic