Well, only

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

Well, only

Post by commadore »

102 days until baseball season. :cry:

VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Re: Well, only

Post by VUaskew »

good lord....
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I respect the right to express cynicism - and several did last night, but this is a long season and we have a young team that I predict will improve during the season. If anyone expected us to beat a far more veteran team last night, they aren't realistic in expectations. This ls going to be a fun team to watch improve during the year. If baseball is your thing - wait for it. Meanwhile I am anxious to watch our guys win a bunch of games.
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

The baseball board is one click away. Enjoy.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Oh good grief. You idiots can't take a joke to save your lives.

I truly believe some of you, if your spouse was depressed and said "I just don't fee like the sun will come up tomorrow" would give them a 30 minutes lecture on how it would be physically impossible for the sun not to come up.
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

I am not one who throws the baby out with the bath water. We did not look very good last night but I did see some things I liked. We looked sloppy and undisciplined at times. Simple passes bouncing off our heads, turning the ball over on inbounds or lazy passes, allowing offensive rebounds to them with no one around or even going for the ball. These are things that can be cleaned up and I am optimistic Stack will get it corrected.

It will have to be scoring by committee to win games since we don’t have that pure shooter. I liked the effort at the end and loved how the freshman got in and played hard. I don’t think we will be a Big Dance team but I think we will continue to get better and win some games. Maybe an upset or two. I’m excited about some of these young guys.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

VandyManners wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:18 am I am not one who throws the baby out with the bath water. We did not look very good last night but I did see some things I liked. We looked sloppy and undisciplined at times. Simple passes bouncing off our heads, turning the ball over on inbounds or lazy passes, allowing offensive rebounds to them with no one around or even going for the ball. These are things that can be cleaned up and I am optimistic Stack will get it corrected.

It will have to be scoring by committee to win games since we don’t have that pure shooter. I liked the effort at the end and loved how the freshman got in and played hard. I don’t think we will be a Big Dance team but I think we will continue to get better and win some games. Maybe an upset or two. I’m excited about some of these young guys.
I'm sorry but most of this already have been cleaned up!!! They played in Europe and a couple of secret scrimmages!!! They looked like this was their 1st practice!!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Agree with VandyManners. Some people need to get perspective. These are college STUDENT athletes playing a game for THEIR benefit and our enjoyment as fans. If you don’t enjoy it, then do yourself a favor and stop watching. Coming on the board and throwing a temper tantrum as if you are still a middle schooler (which I have a ton of experience with as a mid-career middle school professional educator) isn’t a particularly good look.

The point of college sports should be to cheer on students who are representing our university. The fact that VU takes a student-first approach is a point of pride for me, personally. Many of our opponents care primarily about the athletic product. As such, VU will often be playing the game at a bit of a disadvantage. This was the team’s first real game against a solid opponent; they will improve. At the end of the day, these are kids who are still learning (and not just learning to play a sport well, might I add). Also, every single one of them could absolutely destroy pretty much any one of us on the basketball court, so…you know. There’s that, too.

Show some respect and quit acting like these games are more important to you than they are to the kids. And if the games are more important to you, that’s a whole separate issue. I’m happy to ask my wife for some recommendations on therapist colleagues who might specialize in supporting people with those emotional needs. (Clearly I jest, but my general point stands.)
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Told a friend at the voting precinct here in Alabama that, "If you have to win to be ok, you can't be a Vandy fan".
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:32 pm Agree with VandyManners. Some people need to get perspective. These are college STUDENT athletes playing a game for THEIR benefit and our enjoyment as fans. If you don’t enjoy it, then do yourself a favor and stop watching. Coming on the board and throwing a temper tantrum as if you are still a middle schooler (which I have a ton of experience with as a mid-career middle school professional educator) isn’t a particularly good look.

The point of college sports should be to cheer on students who are representing our university. The fact that VU takes a student-first approach is a point of pride for me, personally. Many of our opponents care primarily about the athletic product. As such, VU will often be playing the game at a bit of a disadvantage. This was the team’s first real game against a solid opponent; they will improve. At the end of the day, these are kids who are still learning (and not just learning to play a sport well, might I add). Also, every single one of them could absolutely destroy pretty much any one of us on the basketball court, so…you know. There’s that, too.

Show some respect and quit acting like these games are more important to you than they are to the kids. And if the games are more important to you, that’s a whole separate issue. I’m happy to ask my wife for some recommendations on therapist colleagues who might specialize in supporting people with those emotional needs. (Clearly I jest, but my general point stands.)
I have been a fan for 57 years. I feel I have earned the right to say whatever the hell I want to about how the team plays, or to make a joke about it. If you are so effing woke you can't handle it, I suggest you put me on ignore and not read my posts.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

charlestonalum wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:18 am I respect the right to express cynicism - and several did last night, but this is a long season and we have a young team that I predict will improve during the season. If anyone expected us to beat a far more veteran team last night, they aren't realistic in expectations. This ls going to be a fun team to watch improve during the year. If baseball is your thing - wait for it. Meanwhile I am anxious to watch our guys win a bunch of games.
Young team? Not really. We started 3 juniors and 2 seniors, and 2 guys who played substantial minutes (Robbins and Thomas) are senior/junior. So we have 7 guys who play a lot of minutes who are veterans. Did we play some frosh? Sure. But I don't think that in itself qualifies us as a "young team". And in terms of fresh faces, I think Memphis' minutes were by guys fresher than ours. We lost because of a talent deficit -- regardless of age, sex, national origin, how many schools they've played at, etc.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

dcdore wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:40 pm Told a friend at the voting precinct here in Alabama that, "If you have to win to be ok, you can't be a Vandy fan".
... and you can't be OK
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Watched the first half. Memphis was the much better team but we were really cold and a number of shots could have gone in and made it closer, nevertheless they certainly were better. We really missed Pippin, as expected, and it will take time to see how we make up for the loss. I did see flashes from a number of the guys, we'll see how different guys develop but at least coming out of the shoot it would seem that we'll have a struggle making the NCAA's. My major caveat to pessimism is that the staff seems to get the team playing better as the year rolls on and Stack said his list of what needed to be cleaned up was longer after this game than he hope it would be--se he gets it.

As an aside Jordan Wright, whom I like a lot, is one of the streakiest players that I have seen. Obviously the staff sees and knows this and would like him to be more consistent (on the high side) but have yet to figure it out either. Anyone with thoughts on this?
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

dore74 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:07 pm Watched the first half. Memphis was the much better team but we were really cold and a number of shots could have gone in and made it closer, nevertheless they certainly were better. We really missed Pippin, as expected, and it will take time to see how we make up for the loss. I did see flashes from a number of the guys, we'll see how different guys develop but at least coming out of the shoot it would seem that we'll have a struggle making the NCAA's. My major caveat to pessimism is that the staff seems to get the team playing better as the year rolls on and Stack said his list of what needed to be cleaned up was longer after this game than he hope it would be--se he gets it.

As an aside Jordan Wright, whom I like a lot, is one of the streakiest players that I have seen. Obviously the staff sees and knows this and would like him to be more consistent (on the high side) but have yet to figure it out either. Anyone with thoughts on this?
I think he needs to better learn when to pick his spots. Stop pressing and thinking he has to "be" the guy. HE IS the guy. Let the game flow his way. He tends to force things a little too often. He did have 5 assists and three steals in an otherwise off night, however.

Everyone doesn't like the "young team" comment/excuse, but in terms of TEAM chemistry and concept, they are young. Robbins hasn't had a whole lot of reps with the rest of the guys (remember, he played in 10 games or so), and Ezra hasn't played in any. Lawrence was a 4th/5th option last year, and Stute was a 3rd option. It is possible to have a young TEAM made of of upperclassmen.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

commadore wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:04 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:32 pm Agree with VandyManners. Some people need to get perspective…throwing a temper tantrum…isn’t a particularly good look…
I have been a fan for 57 years. I feel I have earned the right to say whatever the hell I want to about how the team plays, or to make a joke about it. If you are so effing woke you can't handle it, I suggest you put me on ignore and not read my posts.
Never said anyone isn’t entitled to their opinion or the right to express it. Also didn’t name any names. Merely expressed my own opinion and suggested that taking time to decompress and respond to a situation rather than reacting in the heat of the moment would be a wiser approach. To each their own.
And as for me being “so effing woke” that I can’t handle something someone else said, I’m fully comfortable with my emotional state and ability to respond respectfully and rationally to others’ opinions. You’re the one expressing all the hard feelings and lashing out. And if your original post was a joke, I guess I just don’t really get your sense of humor. My bad.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

For years everyone joked after a bad(and there were/are many) football games many joked about how basketball season was 30 days away or around the corner. So I get the joke about 102 days until baseball. Geez some of you seem to want to make a big deal about everything. Come on....we all want the same thing....success for Vandy in all sports.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
vandylifer
Lieutenant

Post by vandylifer »

When I settled into my seat Monday night and took a glance at the Memphis roster . . . . I cringed. Five 5th year players, three Redshirt SENIORS, three "regular" SENIORS (that's 11 for anyone counting) and throw in two Juniors for good measure. That team is LOADED with experience (and pretty good players . . . weren't they TOP recruits or something?). If Penny can coach, that team should make some noise this season. Wish we had won, but no shame in losing to that bunch.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

vandylifer wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:46 pm When I settled into my seat Monday night and took a glance at the Memphis roster . . . . I cringed. Five 5th year players, three Redshirt SENIORS, three "regular" SENIORS (that's 11 for anyone counting) and throw in two Juniors for good measure. That team is LOADED with experience (and pretty good players . . . weren't they TOP recruits or something?). If Penny can coach, that team should make some noise this season. Wish we had won, but no shame in losing to that bunch.
Exactly!
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

commadore wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:41 am Oh good grief. You idiots can't take a joke to save your lives.

I truly believe some of you, if your spouse was depressed and said "I just don't fee like the sun will come up tomorrow" would give them a 30 minutes lecture on how it would be physically impossible for the sun not to come up.
Was that a joke? If so, then it was not at all clear, with no clue or context. It went over most posters' heads, including mine (an Ivy undergrad and a practicing attorney).

Then to compound it, call everyone who does not see the "joke" to be an "idiot" seems ironic, as the vast majority of posters on this board are highly intelligent people. Oh well, on to the next "joke".
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

LawoftheWest wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:13 am
commadore wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:41 am Oh good grief. You idiots can't take a joke to save your lives.

Was that a joke? If so, then it was not at all clear, with no clue or context. It went over most posters' heads, including mine (an Ivy undergrad and a practicing attorney).

Then to compound it, call everyone who does not see the "joke" to be an "idiot" seems ironic, as the vast majority of posters on this board are highly intelligent people. Oh well, on to the next "joke".
Am I supposed to be blown away by you being an Ivy undergrad and a practicing attorney? I have seen many absolutely stupid Ivy grads as well as attorneys who couldn't make a living. I also am a practicing attorney and have an LLM in Tax. So maybe your intellect wasn't great enough to get the joke. Go away. I am about to because I am sick of people like you.
Locked Previous topicNext topic