I don’t like the way the schedule was made this year

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Golddore68
Admiral

I don’t like the way the schedule was made this year

Post by Golddore68 »

The schedule this year was awful for Vanderbilt. The SEC controls the SEC schedule but I wish we had spaced out our nonconference games.

We had all our nonconference games at the start of the season. We were able to win three out of the four nonconference games, but then we had probably the three strongest SEC teams on our schedule all in a row, Alabama, Ole Miss and Georgia. After the Bama game we had an off week. Maybe we could have scheduled one of the winnable nonconference games in that week.

I’m afraid that these last three games hurt the team’s confidence and will negatively affect us going into “winnable” (if there is such a thing in the SEC) conference games.

I hope I’m wrong, but being blown out mercilessly three weeks in a row by top 10 teams is frustrating.
Last edited by Golddore68 on Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nashmann
Admiral

Re: I don’t like the way the schedule was made this year

Post by Nashmann »

What's sad is that there will be more portal guys leaving the program, especially if we go 0-8 in the SEC and that is a very strong possibility.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

Steady as she goes, lads. Nothing has happened that everyone didn't foresee, and we are just now getting to the make-or-break part of the schedule.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

I would love to know why anyone thinks we are going to lose a ton of guys, who are contributing, to the portal. And that is my caveat, who are contributing. Probably should add, and are expected to contribute next year.

I wasn't surprised by the losses last year, in CCL's first year, given how he had to rebuild discipline etc. starting with his first team meeting. And I don't include those who finished last season and had a VU degree among those who left because they didn't like the new discipline.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Seadog73 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:07 pm I would love to know why anyone thinks we are going to lose a ton of guys, who are contributing, to the portal. And that is my caveat, who are contributing. Probably should add, and are expected to contribute next year.

I wasn't surprised by the losses last year, in CCL's first year, given how he had to rebuild discipline etc. starting with his first team meeting. And I don't include those who finished last season and had a VU degree among those who left because they didn't like the new discipline.
I totally agree there is no evidence that I am aware of that our contributing players are rushing to the portal exit. (I coomented on this in a different thread.) Which undergraduate contributor has left or has announced leaving? Where does this wirry come from. Unfortuantely we don't have a lot of players attractive to other SEC teams - that is our biggest problem, in fact.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:35 pm
Seadog73 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:07 pm I would love to know why anyone thinks we are going to lose a ton of guys, who are contributing, to the portal. And that is my caveat, who are contributing. Probably should add, and are expected to contribute next year.

I totally agree there is no evidence that I am aware of that our contributing players are rushing to the portal exit. (I coomented on this in a different thread.) Which undergraduate contributor has left or has announced leaving? Where does this wirry come from. Unfortuantely we don't have a lot of players attractive to other SEC teams - that is our biggest problem, in fact.
Swann, Shepherd and McGowan are SEC-caliber players who would be attractive to other SEC teams.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

Golddore68 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:56 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:35 pm

Swann, Shepherd and McGowan are SEC-caliber players who would be attractive to other SEC teams.
hopefully these outstanding student-athletes are committed to their coach and teammates and value the vanderbilt education they are receiving.
Locked Previous topicNext topic