Vanderbilt-Georgia thread

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Ericjonesfan
Commander

Re: Vanderbilt-Georgia thread

Post by Ericjonesfan »

I can’t believe our defense and defensive scheme is so bad .

We have to have a way to get pressure and be creative in coverages .It’s to easy for the QB s and we don’t
Have back end coverage to
Play coverage

Howell is a downgrade from Minter without a doubt I think the nickname should be a laughing Hyenas

Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

My takeaways from this game are the same as every other game. Our defense is lacking pass rush, our DBs are not good as they blow coverages all the time. Our LBs show both good at the run and bad at the pass just like our DL. Our offense is certainly improved with Swann. Kid is a player. The OL has been better than I thought they would be. That's why I am surprised we are shut out today
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Part of the deal is Georgia is very good. They're easily the best we've seen this year. Their playmakers are impressive. What are we supposed to do about that monster sized wide receiver and their bulldozer backs. And their OL holding technique is perfect. I'm about ready for some regular teams.
Last edited by buffy on Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Why did we rush only 3 on that?
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

This game is so lop sided the crowd left on homecoming at UGA. The stadium is empty
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Their backup is 5-5 for 70 yards and a TD. Just like the starter
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

We absolutely suck right now...I don't care WHO we are playing. We can't do the simplest of things on either side of the ball. Not sure Lea and THIS staff can close the deal on the players we need to escape the bottom. Well now that 3 of the top 10 teams are done with, we can really see how we stack up and not be the SOV....
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

Combined score of last two meetings: 117-0.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I said 4 weeks ago we would give up over 150 in these three games. So it was 162. But these three are scoring a ton on everyone. Let's see how we do this week before condemning the coaches.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

We just don't have the horses to compete in the KY (SEC) derby against the thoroughbreds. Without trying to diminish the efforts of the fine young men who play for Vandy, someone once said, "The best jockey in the world does not win the Kentucky Derby riding a mule." We just do not have enough top players at this time, especially competing against Bama, GA and other to teams.

Lea is improving our recruiting, I believe, but he started without enough hosses. I believe that within a few years we will be competing against many SEC teams, but not Bama or GA.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

LawoftheWest wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:58 am Lea is improving our recruiting, I believe, but he started without enough hosses. I believe that within a few years we will be competing against many SEC teams, but not Bama or GA.
I hope you’re correct. However, I worry that even with an uptick in recruiting on the front end, player retention may be an ongoing problem. VU won’t succeed if the team continues to lose players to the transfer portal, regardless of sustained improvement in recruiting high school players. Those who succeed here early will potentially be poached by more successful programs; we’ve already seen the impact of this the past few seasons.
VU is losing the war of attrition on the roster front, and improved recruiting alone won’t be enough to win in the SEC.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:03 am
LawoftheWest wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:58 am Lea is improving our recruiting, I believe, but he started without enough hosses. I believe that within a few years we will be competing against many SEC teams, but not Bama or GA.
I hope you’re correct. However, I worry that even with an uptick in recruiting on the front end, player retention may be an ongoing problem. VU won’t succeed if the team continues to lose players to the transfer portal, regardless of sustained improvement in recruiting high school players. Those who succeed here early will potentially be poached by more successful programs; we’ve already seen the impact of this the past few seasons.
VU is losing the war of attrition on the roster front, and improved recruiting alone won’t be enough to win in the SEC.
This assertion is worthy of serious analysis next summer. I can argue we have gained as many contributing players via portal as we have lost. Our biggest loss was someone who graduated and has 1 year at Alabama (Steen), but we got their FG kicker for 2-3 years so actually we are ahead in that comparison. We also got some other starters out of the portal and unless I am in denial we haven't lost a lot of starters to the portal - even Rocko was not startng. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think the transfer portal is our problem - recruiting good players is.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

We will never...ever recruit at the level to be successful in the SEC. The other SEC teams keep raising the bar. I don't see us raising the bar on our staff either. We have to get creative both on offense and defense. We may recruit the best Vand team ever and STILL be ranked in the bottom 2 or 3 if not last. How do we ever compete? We face 4 top-10 teams!!! We lack speed everywhere. We especially lack speed at RB, DB and receivers. Oh yes, McGowan is fast but he's still only 5'7". I do think we have a very good QB but he is a pass-only guy. Sorry just venting :(
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Nashmann wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:44 am We will never...ever recruit at the level to be successful in the SEC. The other SEC teams keep raising the bar. I don't see us raising the bar on our staff either. We have to get creative both on offense and defense. We may recruit the best Vand team ever and STILL be ranked in the bottom 2 or 3 if not last. How do we ever compete? We face 4 top-10 teams!!! We lack speed everywhere. We especially lack speed at RB, DB and receivers. Oh yes, McGowan is fast but he's still only 5'7". I do think we have a very good QB but he is a pass-only guy. Sorry just venting :(
Spoken by a man who disheartened, bitter, and resentful.

But one who is, sadly, most probably correct.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

The longer you follow this team the more "disheartened, bitter, and resentful" you become. It's inevitable. That's why it burns me when people that should be ecstatic with Franklin's 24 wins not only resent it, but try to explain them away. "The SEC was really down in 2011-13." But not before, not after.
Locked Previous topicNext topic