I'll buy this isn't a talented/mature enough team

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

I'll buy this isn't a talented/mature enough team

Post by Go Vandy! »

to be Top 5 or Top 10. But i have a harder time believing it is less talented than 25-30 other teams. I'll be surprised to see us ranked in more than a couple polls this week.

blackgold61
Lieutenant

Re: I'll buy this isn't a talented/mature enough team

Post by blackgold61 »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:59 pm to be Top 5 or Top 10. But i have a harder time believing it is less talented than 25-30 other teams. I'll be surprised to see us ranked in more than a couple polls this week.
Polls are not determined by talent. They are based on results. This team does not deserve to be ranked. After the next 3 series and a mid week game with Louisville, we may find ourselves sitting home for the NCAA tournament.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Watching UT vs Auburn tonight

Post by Vandy187187 »

It's pretty easy to see that UT players are confident at the plate, they WANT to be up with runners on base. We look like a deer in headlights at the plate outside of 3-4 batters. It's like we believe we will fail before a pitch is thrown and it's all mental. Look at Young, the guy mashed last year and can't make contact this year. It's all between the ears for the most part. Talent there is a gap but not to this extent.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

I mean you can see it in our demeanor at the plate. We look to walk, we look to get hit by a pitch, we go to the plate defensive. We don't go up there looking to drive the baseball. We can't hit the ball the opposite way, the shift kills us. And the only way you are this bad with RISP is because you aren't on the balls of your feet at the plate. You are on your heels.

No coach can cure a lack of confidence. Our players need to look in the mirror and build some confidence themselves. It's not taught, it's something you have to do on your own.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

The question was posed in the season 10 years ago when we lost around 30 games and is has been posed this season as well. People dodge this question because they think if they answer it honestly it means they are being disloyal to Corbs.

Is the reason we fall into crappy hitter counts (like 0-2) could be because hitters are getting the "take or else" sign from the coach or coaches? (with the "or else" part meaning end up on the bench like Vaz?)

And speaking of such, Vaz has 8 K's in 92 at bats, Noland has 31 K's in 88 at bats, a similar number of ABs.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

MrMemorial wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:51 pm The question was posed in the season 10 years ago when we lost around 30 games and is has been posed this season as well. People dodge this question because they think if they answer it honestly it means they are being disloyal to Corbs.

Is the reason we fall into crappy hitter counts (like 0-2) could be because hitters are getting the "take or else" sign from the coach or coaches? (with the "or else" part meaning end up on the bench like Vaz?)

And speaking of such, Vaz has 8 K's in 92 at bats, Noland has 31 K's in 88 at bats, a similar number of ABs.
What makes anyone think our coaches want to lose?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Nobody I know of is saying the coach or coaches WANT to lose.

This was the question:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translation:
Is it possible that sometimes our coach or coaches are being stubborn to a fault, that a strategy that worked in the past is still the "go to" plan even when it may not be the best plan anymore?
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:31 am
What makes anyone think our coaches want to lose?
LMAO. Impressive gaslighting there.
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

Outside of this specific questions, I think one can pretty easily go over the last several years and see that Corbin/coaches stick with certain players no matter how badly they play. I won’t air names here but if you think I’m ridiculous then feel free to DM me and I’ll send you several names. If you cannot name 2 current players immediately then you are simply being obtuse or aren’t paying attention.

So I think, yes, there’s a stubborness that may be going on here. I have no idea if there is a “take 2 or else” directive but it seems there is something like that going on.

Do they want to lose? Of course not.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:06 am Nobody I know of is saying the coach or coaches WANT to lose.

This was the question:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translation:
Is it possible that sometimes our coach or coaches are being stubborn to a fault, that a strategy that worked in the past is still the "go to" plan even when it may not be the best plan anymore?
If so, Corbs is playing a deep deception game because has publicly said his batters' lack of aggressiveness is the main problem.
I suppose it's possible that his public line is "we need to be more aggressive" and in games he is signaling "be passive or else" to the players. But I can't imagine why any coach would do that, and it would be especially contrary to Corbin's personality.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

alathIN wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:24 am
MrMemorial wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:06 am Nobody I know of is saying the coach or coaches WANT to lose.

This was the question:

Translation:
If so, Corbs is playing a deep deception game because has publicly said his batters' lack of aggressiveness is the main problem.
I suppose it's possible that his public line is "we need to be more aggressive" and in games he is signaling "be passive or else" to the players. But I can't imagine why any coach would do that, and it would be especially contrary to Corbin's personality.
I totally agree - there is no deep deception nor do not swing conspiracy here: our batters lack confidence and aggressiveness. It happens but can change and hopefully it will.
Corbs does play players seemingly too long, but I am sure he has his reasons.
HopsLikeHolwerda
Lieutenant

Post by HopsLikeHolwerda »

Corbs doesn't want to lose. He wants to win. He just doesn't have a team right now that can digest the Analytics. He uses them way too much anyway, and this group simply can't handle it.

I can guarantee that the Tennessee hitters aren't up there thinking "in a 0-1 count this pitcher throws a slider 76% of the time". They are thinking "just throw me one fastball and I'll hit it". Our hitters are thinking the first. The second works best for college players, especially elite prep hitters.

Professional players can handle all the data. Most college players cannot. What worked for them during prep years (being aggressive on the fastball) has been taken away from them by these advanced metrics that Corbs and Baxter are throwing at them. It causes them to be hesitant because they are thinking too much. They are guessing pitches instead of sitting on one pitch for an entire at bat.

Analytics are great and very helpful for professionals. They will cripple young hitters who aren't ready or equipped to handle the overflow of information. That's where we are.
Locked Previous topicNext topic