OT ESPN MLB coverage

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

PeteFox
Vice Admiral

OT ESPN MLB coverage

Post by PeteFox »

Did anybody watch the ESPN MLB coverage last night (Atlanta vs Padres)?

The announcers did not seem to be paying any attention to the game at all. It was totally un-watchable (well, un-listenable, I turned off the sound).

How can a major network be so horrible?

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: OT ESPN MLB coverage

Post by OldDude »

PeteFox wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:07 pm Did anybody watch the ESPN MLB coverage last night (Atlanta vs Padres)?

The announcers did not seem to be paying any attention to the game at all. It was totally un-watchable (well, un-listenable, I turned off the sound).

Don't follow MLB so didn't hear the broadcast. In other coverage which I do follow though, it seems that many announcers think they are paid to regale the listeners with stories of their glorious past or where they ate dinner. How about telling me who the foul was on or why the play was called back. Dang I can bore you with tales of my youth or culinary experiences and do it for much less money.

Good post.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

They were doing two separate broadcasts, correct? I made the mistake of tuning into the ESPN2 broadcast initially, with Michael Kay and A-Rod, which was more like a Manning Brothers alternate broadcast.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

espn has no interest in its announcers describing the game at hand (in any sport) as it develops. those doing the recent hoops tourney for cbs etc. were infinitely better. where are vin scully, keith jackson, lindsey nelson, larry munson, et al when we need them?
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

PeteFox wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:07 pm Did anybody watch the ESPN MLB coverage last night (Atlanta vs Padres)?

Quite unlike the ESPN college baseball broadcasts in which the announcers discuss whether they should go to the Carrie Underwood or Garth Brooks concert; where do you find the best barbecue; electric or acoustic; yada, yada, yada.

What do you see in the opening sequence of most any Vanderbilt game? Kirkland Hall, Hawkins Field, Vanderbilt Stadium?

No: It’s downtown Broadway, some guitar shop or Rynan Auditorium.
Locked Previous topicNext topic