OT: hoop for daughter

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

alathIN
Rear Admiral

OT: hoop for daughter

Post by alathIN »

My daughter is getting really excited about basketball - just finished her first season in a town league and then wanted to go to Indiana Basketball Academy - has been twice now and loves it.
She asked me to put up an outdoor hoop for her here at home.
I was half-decided on this one but if I can do better around the same price range let me know.

https://www.megaslamhoops.com/basketbal ... ight/fx-60

They are using full 10' hoops so I don't think we need adjustable height.

GoVU
Lieutenant

Re: OT: hoop for daughter

Post by GoVU »

As someone who has sent two daughters and a grandson to more than 30 basketball camps over the years, do your research. Their are two kinds of camps: Prestige Camps and Bluecollar camps. The prestige are all about the name and so a kid can wear a shirt saying they went (Duke, UNC, UT, Even VU are all prestige). Bluecollar camps the kids work hard, come home sweaty and exhausted, and learn a ton. Find those camps- used to be MTSU, Lipscomb, Drew Maddox Nike camps were some of the best.

I am sure things have changed, but do your research.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

alathIN wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:00 pm My daughter ... asked me to put up an outdoor hoop for her here at home.
I was half-decided on this one but if I can do better around the same price range let me know.

I don't suppose the $1,979 + tax includes installation.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Versus75 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:55 pm
alathIN wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:00 pm My daughter ... asked me to put up an outdoor hoop for her here at home.

I don't suppose the $1,979 + tax includes installation.
No, it doesn't.
But I'm the kind of guy who can mess up big ambitious jobs, not just small ones ;-)
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

GoVU wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:44 pm As someone who has sent two daughters and a grandson to more than 30 basketball camps over the years, do your research. Their are two kinds of camps: Prestige Camps and Bluecollar camps. The prestige are all about the name and so a kid can wear a shirt saying they went (Duke, UNC, UT, Even VU are all prestige). Bluecollar camps the kids work hard, come home sweaty and exhausted, and learn a ton. Find those camps- used to be MTSU, Lipscomb, Drew Maddox Nike camps were some of the best.

IBA seems more like your description of blue collar.
They do have camps, but what she's doing right now is training - kind of like a twice weekly practice with some scrimmage.
They also form teams and play against each other - she is already asking to be on a team.
There are camps, too. And apparently they field AAU teams.

At this point I just want her to have fun and run around, which she does.
She has some tall genes and a very powerful build, so if she gets in to it she could probably go a ways with it. But I've seen too many kids get burned out by their parents ambitions - so my only real goal is to avoid pushing her and just let her fun level decide how far she goes.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Just get the portable one with a water tub base. Don't think it is near that expensive. My grandson has one & loves it. No installation is necessary...
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
GoVU
Lieutenant

Post by GoVU »

alathIN wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:56 pm
GoVU wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:44 pm As someone who has sent two daughters and a grandson to more than 30 basketball camps over the years, do your research. Their are two kinds of camps: Prestige Camps and Bluecollar camps. The prestige are all about the name and so a kid can wear a shirt saying they went (Duke, UNC, UT, Even VU are all prestige). Bluecollar camps the kids work hard, come home sweaty and exhausted, and learn a ton. Find those camps- used to be MTSU, Lipscomb, Drew Maddox Nike camps were some of the best.

IBA seems more like your description of blue collar.
They do have camps, but what she's doing right now is training - kind of like a twice weekly practice with some scrimmage.
They also form teams and play against each other - she is already asking to be on a team.
There are camps, too. And apparently they field AAU teams.

At this point I just want her to have fun and run around, which she does.
She has some tall genes and a very powerful build, so if she gets in to it she could probably go a ways with it. But I've seen too many kids get burned out by their parents ambitions - so my only real goal is to avoid pushing her and just let her fun level decide how far she goes.
That is great. Enjoy every minute of it. It ticks me off that some people pay $420 so a kid can got to a UNC camp, never see the head coach, and learn very little.
Locked Previous topicNext topic