Brinae and Coach Ralph Florida Postgame

For fan discussion of the Vanderbilt Commodore women's basketball program, games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Brinae and Coach Ralph Florida Postgame

Post by MikeADore »

Whew. Angry coach. (not at her players)

Also, an intriguing comment from Brinae when asked how harsh it was after a battle like that to see time run out.

"I don't think it's too harsh because I don't think we're done. I for certain am not done."

Obviously, they're done for this year. Does this mean she plans to come back? It's so frustrating that no one will even ask the question, especially after her comment, which could certainly be interpreted as planning to be back.

And, man, this brief interview obviously happened right after the game, and you could tell coach did not want to be there. At all.

https://vucommodores.com/a-heart-breaking-end/

MikeADore
Rear Admiral

Re: Brinae and Coach Ralph Florida Postgame

Post by MikeADore »

I think she was in a hurry to get to her team knowing that some of them were devastated by the loss, especially Sacha after missing those two late free throws. I wish I could give that kid a big hug. I think she has a chance to be really good for us the next three years. Coach Ralph has said more than once that Sacha is really hard on herself.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Coach laid it out: not happy with late calls, but we can't control that. She also says she would have designed a few things differently if she had it to do over again late. She is a competitor, and yes very angry about outcome. This is one we really should have won and everybody knows it . The worst of several late calls is the Cambridge charge when the defensive player blocked her path to the basket without being the least bit set- all over twitter if you want to see it. If we get those free throws up 3 we win. And then they get the block foul against us when we were set and just run over. That was a 3 point swing. I hope we protest those calls and get some sort of explanation. Ralph has seen top officiating but not in the SEC
Last edited by charlestonalum on Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
HuskyT
Ensign

Post by HuskyT »

I distinctly had a feeling the reporters were a 'bit' intimidated by Coach. The look on her face reminded me of Jim Calhoun who would excoriate reporters after that game. The question about the 8 second mark; 'Did you get what you wanted?' would have precipitated about 8.0 on the Richter scale. But very proud of Coach's comportment and how she directly took the blame that she made a couple of bad calls down the stretch. that's integrity in action.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

HuskyT wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:52 pm I distinctly had a feeling the reporters were a 'bit' intimidated by Coach. The look on her face reminded me of Jim Calhoun who would excoriate reporters after that game. The question about the 8 second mark; 'Did you get what you wanted?' would have precipitated about 8.0 on the Richter scale. But very proud of Coach's comportment and how she directly took the blame that she made a couple of bad calls down the stretch. that's integrity in action.
Integrity, indeed!! Rest assured, VU fans know what we have in CSR and intend to hold onto her as long as we can. (So, you’re not getting her back 8-) ). She seems very happy to be here and appreciates the type of student athletes attracted to VU. She has always been so humble in her pressers, even in losses, but you could tell she knew her team got victimized and she was about to explode. She exceeded my expectations for this year and I can’t wait to get the program back to where fans return to follow and attend games. She usually only has 2 reporters attend pressers (local beat reporter and student paper) which is disheartening. There were “good ole days” awhile back, but that was before every SEC team decided to invest in their WBB programs, so it’s so much more difficult today. I have every faith that she will get us back there when she hits the recruiting trail. I have always been a big Geno fan, as his teams exemplify basketball purity. I hope he can bring the Huskies another title this year and that eventually we meet on the hardwood as equals one day. Thank you for following us this year and your providing insights to what we have as a coach…very enjoyable posting and please continue to do so!
Dore2Dore
Lieutenant

Post by Dore2Dore »

we were hosed - pure & simple!!! Did we miss some plays - sure, but Fla missed some too -- so missed plays do Not predict outcomes; We should ask only that the calls be the same on Both ends & they were Not! Our young ladies gave everything they had over & over - did NOT deserve this! Our coaches did everything they could. I have re-watched game & feel the same as when saw in person! CSR was very displeased & was evident in her responses as she is usually petty even keel even after a close loss but Not after this game. She voiced her displeasure as much as she could. We have a TEAM & the Coaching staff to get us back to where we belong. Now just need Cambridge AND Alexander back to lead us. We have your backs!!!
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

I have enjoyed watching this team so much. I looked forward to every game. I will miss this particular team. They were all warriors and had each other‘s back and were a joy to watch and cheer for. I hold them in the highest esteem. That says a lot about the coaches who led them. We are blessed at VU by Coach Ralph and her staff and these women.
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

charlestonalum wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:48 pm Coach laid it out: not happy with late calls, but we can't control that. She also says she would have designed a few things differently if she had it to do over again late. She is a competitor, and yes very angry about outcome. This is one we really should have won and everybody knows it . The worst of several late calls is the Cambridge charge when the defensive player blocked her path to the basket without being the least bit set- all over twitter if you want to see it. If we get those free throws up 3 we win. And then they get the block foul against us when we were set and just run over. That was a 3 point swing. I hope we protest those calls and get some sort of explanation. Ralph has seen top officiating but not in the SEC
Coach Ralph was very complimentary of the SEC on day one for the tournament it was putting on. She loves the challenge of the SEC, you can tell. Then she got a taste of poor SEC officiating, which we have been victimized by so many times over the years in so many sports. She is such a competitor that she will use this to our advantage and hers going forward. I can’t wait to see what she does here.
HuskyT
Ensign

Post by HuskyT »

Ndorefin wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:32 pm
HuskyT wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:52 pm I distinctly had a feeling the reporters were a 'bit' intimidated by Coach. The look on her face reminded me of Jim Calhoun who would excoriate reporters after that game. The question about the 8 second mark; 'Did you get what you wanted?' would have precipitated about 8.0 on the Richter scale. But very proud of Coach's comportment and how she directly took the blame that she made a couple of bad calls down the stretch. that's integrity in action.
Integrity, indeed!! Rest assured, VU fans know what we have in CSR and intend to hold onto her as long as we can. (So, you’re not getting her back 8-) ). She seems very happy to be here and appreciates the type of student athletes attracted to VU. She has always been so humble in her pressers, even in losses, but you could tell she knew her team got victimized and she was about to explode. She exceeded my expectations for this year and I can’t wait to get the program back to where fans return to follow and attend games. She usually only has 2 reporters attend pressers (local beat reporter and student paper) which is disheartening. There were “good ole days” awhile back, but that was before every SEC team decided to invest in their WBB programs, so it’s so much more difficult today. I have every faith that she will get us back there when she hits the recruiting trail. I have always been a big Geno fan, as his teams exemplify basketball purity. I hope he can bring the Huskies another title this year and that eventually we meet on the hardwood as equals one day. Thank you for following us this year and your providing insights to what we have as a coach…very enjoyable posting and please continue to do so!
Thank you for making me feel welcome here. This was not a one season gig for me. I am a Vandy fan. I love Jordyn, Sacha, Iyanna, and the gang. I am getting excited for the 2023 recruiting season and I can't wait to see what pearls your (our) coaches are harvesting. Vanderbilt women's basketball is on an incredible journey and I intend to enjoy it for all it's worth. All Vandy Alumnae, students, faculty, and well wishers need to know this is going to be the embodiment of "Conquor and Prevail".
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

HuskyT wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:51 pm
Ndorefin wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:32 pm
Thank you for making me feel welcome here. This was not a one season gig for me. I am a Vandy fan. I love Jordyn, Sacha, Iyanna, and the gang. I am getting excited for the 2023 recruiting season and I can't wait to see what pearls your (our) coaches are harvesting. Vanderbilt women's basketball is on an incredible journey and I intend to enjoy it for all it's worth. All Vandy Alumnae, students, faculty, and well wishers need to know this is going to be the embodiment of "Conquor and Prevail".
You are very welcome here. Thank you for your contributions.
Locked Previous topicNext topic